You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-05 11:57:56

PrincessMidna

[SOLVED] nvidia-xrun X Server: Display issue

Hello.

I have an ASUS laptop featuring the NVIDIA Optimus technology, that is to say that I have both an Intel graphics chip and a NVIDIA graphics card, the former being used for inexpensive applications and the latter for those demanding more GPU power. At least, that's how it works under Windows. My screen resolution is 1366x768.

Thanks to the excellent documentation concerning Archlinux's installation, configuration and maintenance, I managed to set things up quite easily — let's just say that I have fewer issues under Archlinux than under Debian — but I'm stuck with an issue that I couldn't find anywhere else despite searching it, oddly enough.

I use the GNOME desktop on Wayland with the Intel chip and, using nvidia-xrun, an Openbox desktop on Xorg with the NVIDIA card; this works but, for some reason, the Xorg server claims having a 1024x768 CRT as its primary display, and the NVIDIA driver is tied to it.

Here is an overview of the problem (using the NVIDIA X Server Settings nvidia-settings tool):
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 … -40-26.png
We can note that the NVIDIA X Server Settings starts in the GNOME on Wayland display even if the NVIDIA Xorg's display is specified and running, yet the tool is properly showing the NVIDIA X Server configuration.

You can find the output of xrandr in this gist.

I cannot disable it because the NVIDIA driver claims to be synced to it, with the full PRIME display (1366x768) not being managed by the NVIDIA settings.

Programs like LXPANEL will properly render in 1366x768, however some specific features will not; for instance, Steam's notifications will show up somewhere around the middle of the screen because it uses the 1024x768 setting, yet the Steam window itself will take the 1366x768 dimension correctly.
Games cannot run above 1024x768 on Wine, too.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I cannot edit the ViewPortIn/ViewPortOut settings in the NVIDIA X Server Settings tool because the Apply button gets out of the screen; but I don't believe this is an issue on the NVIDIA end; more like on the Xorg end.

Thank you in advance. Feel free to request additional informations if needed...

SOLUTION

I found a — somewhat dirty — solution using xrandr (thanks to this gist I posted earlier).

In order for applications to use the PRIME display, I set the LVDS-1-1 output (the 1366x768 display in xrandr) to be the primary output. Then, I disable the VGA-0 (the fake 1024x768 output) using the following command:

xrandr --output LVDS-1-1 --primary --output VGA-0 --off

I added the command at the top of the ~/.config/openbox/autostart file for it to be executed when Openbox starts.

If you experience the same issue, run the xrandr command first to check the proper output names, and replace them accordingly in the command.

HOWEVER, I subsequently noticed that:

• The NVIDIA X Server Settings says that the driver is synced to an unknown output.

• There is no longer any VBLANK cap (before using the command, glxgears caps at 60FPS, afterwards it runs at ~7950FPS).

I also noticed that running the nvidia-settings command using:

nvidia-settings --display $DISPLAY

will start the tool within the Xorg display (I was using the -c parameter before, so it started in the first available display).

Thanks anyway!

Last edited by PrincessMidna (2017-11-05 20:40:54)

#2 2017-11-05 12:17:31

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] nvidia-xrun X Server: Display issue

Welcome to the forums PrincessMidna smile

Please take time to read the forum rules, especially regarding posting images.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … uct#Forums

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-11-05 12:20:26

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Welcome to the Arch Linux forums, PrincessMidna. Please take a moment to read over our Code of Conduct, particularly the section which relates to acceptable image sizes.

I'm going to move this topic to laptop issues, as this is an optimus system. I doubt that non-optimus systems will experience it, but if it turns out that they do, I'll be happy to move it back.

Mod note: Moving to Laptop Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2017-11-05 12:57:45

PrincessMidna

slithery wrote:

Welcome to the forums PrincessMidna smile

Please take time to read the forum rules, especially regarding posting images.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … uct#Forums

Thanks for the warm welcome!

My bad, I might have overlooked this part. I wanted to resize the picture but forgot about the dimension in the meantime. Thanks for the info.

WorMzy wrote:

Welcome to the Arch Linux forums, PrincessMidna. Please take a moment to read over our Code of Conduct, particularly the section which relates to acceptable image sizes.

I'm going to move this topic to laptop issues, as this is an optimus system. I doubt that non-optimus systems will experience it, but if it turns out that they do, I'll be happy to move it back.

Mod note: Moving to Laptop Issues.

Thank you!

My mistake.

I thought the same but I also considered that some people could have done this for computer cases (in order to save power or performance). Nevertheless, thanks for relocating my thread in the appropriate forum.

I'm not a native English speaker by the way so please pardon my potentially bad English here and there. I read English without any problem but I might have some mistakes in my writing.

Last edited by PrincessMidna (2017-11-05 12:58:27)

Board footer