You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-05 13:57:20

warcram

XFCE blank screen

Hi there,

I am installing multiple desktop environments on my laptop as I like different desktop environments for different tasks.

I have GNOME installed and got it looking nice. I went to install XFCE and it installed no problem, entry for XFCE login session is there at login, however when I log into the session I just get a black screen with nothing else. No cursor or anything. I get out of this by opening a seperate terminal window (ctrl + alt + F5 etc) however I cannot get XFCE to work.

Is this an issue because I am trying to run multiple desktop environments at the same time?

System specs:
i7-4720HQ, 8GB RAM, GTX 970M.

Apologies if this is a newbie question - fairly new to Arch and installing different DE's.

Thanks in advance,

#2 2017-11-05 16:49:21

ewaller
Administrator

Re: XFCE blank screen

I would disable the Display Manager you are using and try it using startx and a customized ~/.xixnitrc  file and see if it works.  If not, at least you will be able to see console messages as to what happened.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-11-05 16:54:38

adesh

How are you starting XFCE - login manager (which?) or xinitrc.
Did you check Xorg log?

#4 2017-11-06 09:36:41

warcram

adesh wrote:

How are you starting XFCE - login manager (which?) or xinitrc.

Using either GDM or xinitrc I am getting a blank screen.

adesh wrote:

Did you check Xorg log?

Not 100% on what I'm checking for but there doesn't seem to be any blaring errors in there.

ewaller wrote:

I would disable the Display Manager you are using and try it using startx and a customized ~/.xixnitrc  file and see if it works.  If not, at least you will be able to see console messages as to what happened.

I have tried opening up a new terminal session without logging in on GDM and trying to launch with startx and startxfce4, both resulting in a blank screen.

Thanks for the help so far

Warcram

#5 2017-11-06 16:07:10

ewaller
Administrator

Okay.  If you start the session then kill it (One method would be to change consoles using Ctrl-Alt-F2, log in and kill the appropriate process, then change back to the original console) and check any messages that had been posted.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#6 2017-11-06 19:06:06

seth

Does the monitor suspend ("no signal", you likley won't get that on an lvds/eDP) in this case?
Check "xrandr -q -display :0" from the other virtual terminal.

#7 2017-11-07 01:10:07

cfr

Since there's no xfce package, which packages did you install? I'm assuming you installed the xfce4 group, but it would be good to be sure.

Last edited by cfr (2017-11-07 01:11:16)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#8 2017-11-07 11:40:22

warcram

cfr wrote:

Since there's no xfce package, which packages did you install? I'm assuming you installed the xfce4 group, but it would be good to be sure.

xfce4 was the package that I installed.

seth wrote:

Does the monitor suspend ("no signal", you likley won't get that on an lvds/eDP) in this case? Check "xrandr -q -display :0" from the other virtual terminal.

Don't get any messages like this as I am on a laptop, just get a black screen.

ewaller wrote:

Okay.  If you start the session then kill it (One method would be to change consoles using Ctrl-Alt-F2, log in and kill the appropriate process, then change back to the original console) and check any messages that had been posted.

Tried going through to a seperate tty, killed the relevant processes, however when I kill the xfce4-session I get returned to the GDM Login manager, with no error message.

Still got no further - might be worth noting this also happens with i3 sessions, black screen etc.

#9 2017-11-07 12:28:15

adesh

warcram wrote:

xfce4 was the package that I installed.

There is no xfce4 package, but a group (of packages). So, that means you installed all the packages under xfce4 group.

#10 2017-11-07 14:49:16

seth

seth wrote:

Check "xrandr -q -display :0" from the other virtual terminal.

It's possible that the xfce session tries a randr restore and does shit, so you end up with no active output.

#11 2017-11-07 16:30:00

ewaller
Administrator

warcram wrote:
ewaller wrote:

Tried going through to a seperate tty, killed the relevant processes, however when I kill the xfce4-session I get returned to the GDM Login manager, with no error message.

Still got no further - might be worth noting this also happens with i3 sessions, black screen etc.

ewaller wrote:

I really had not meant for that to be a suggestion in passing.  Turn off the damn display manager.

---

Board footer