You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-12 14:33:00

Gullible Jones

[req] compiz-aiglx

Could someone please make a PKGBUILD for Compiz patched to support AIGLX? The XGL version seems to be compiled against different stuff and AFAIK has problems with AIGLX, and Metacity can't be compiled with the compositor because libcm isn't available for download anywhere.

#2 2006-08-20 19:19:08

noriko
Website

Re: [req] compiz-aiglx

do you still have trouble with this?...

if so, why don't you just checkout the cvs, that' where i got it a few months ago..

and metacity built without any trouble..

was a little buggy though, so i disabled it...

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#3 2006-08-20 21:26:44

Gullible Jones

What? What CVS?

Edit: you mean compiz-git? Because that depends on XGL and associated stuff, and lacks the necessary patch.

#4 2006-08-20 21:42:16

karsten

i tried it, and got a junky desktop.  just a blank blue panel and a white window where gnome-terminal was when i logged off before.  they're saying on the compiz forums only the dbus patch is needed to make it work with aiglx at this point (using the quinn source code i think) but i had not much luck.  this was with an i810 driver on a T43 thinkpad.  lmk if you have any more luck than that..

dbus service patch:

--- compiz.service    2006-06-16 16:42:01.000000000 -0400
+++ compiz.service    2006-06-16 17:24:00.335708060 -0400
@@ -1,3 +1,3 @@
 [D-BUS Service]
 Name=org.compiz.dbus
-Exec=/usr/bin/compiz.real
+Exec=/usr/bin/compiz

#5 2006-08-21 08:41:13

noriko
Website

i had sorta the same problem, with the blue screen thing..

but a few forum searches via google suggests that it's an issue with the nVidia driver so i just decided to wait for the next nVidia driver release ...

i could never find any aiglx packages or PKGBUILDS for anything concerning aiglx so I've never tried that...

have you got a link of some sorts to install them...

i prolly won't use it as i hate this eye candy... :shock: lol.. anyway..

I'd still like to help you...if u want....

#6 2006-08-21 10:01:15

Gullible Jones

noriko wrote:

i could never find any aiglx packages or PKGBUILDS for anything concerning aiglx so I've never tried that...

In this thread. AIGLX is built into Xorg 7.1.

#7 2006-08-21 12:19:30

noriko
Website

hmm... now i can't start metacity with composite and...

well gnome doesn't start if composite is enabled in XF86Config (nvidia-xconf created it, and xorg uses it so i left it as it is)..anyway...

i have to look into it later when i get some time

#8 2006-08-21 17:39:25

nightfrost

You need some patches to make compiz work with aiglx. You can find them in Hanno's overlay files. Get them like this:

svn co http://svn.hboeck.de/xgl-overlay

However, I believe compiz on aiglx is seriously broken right now (judging from experience and some posts at the compiz-quinn forums). I'm using the i810 driver, though, and things might work better with other drivers.

You also need some patches for xorg-server 7.1 to make compiz work, that I think you can find across the forums (I might have them somewhere too...).

#9 2006-08-21 21:16:10

noriko
Website

it appears that previous issue lies with metacity compositor not liking aiglx rather than the other way round... i will try compiz tomorrow...

but one :?:

why don't you use Xgl (if possible) it's a lot easier imo... and works flawlessly... :twisted:

#10 2006-08-21 22:00:08

karsten

you got compiz to work on the i810? that's what i'm trying to do.  i'll try those overlays and see how it works.  thanks a ton. 

nightfrost wrote:

You need some patches to make compiz work with aiglx. You can find them in Hanno's overlay files. Get them like this:

svn co http://svn.hboeck.de/xgl-overlay

However, I believe compiz on aiglx is seriously broken right now (judging from experience and some posts at the compiz-quinn forums). I'm using the i810 driver, though, and things might work better with other drivers.

You also need some patches for xorg-server 7.1 to make compiz work, that I think you can find across the forums (I might have them somewhere too...).

#11 2006-08-21 23:16:23

Gullible Jones

Hmm... Perhaps Metacity CVS with composite support would be better... :?

#12 2006-08-22 07:39:55

noriko
Website

sad  that's the version i used, cvs co'd aug 21st 06...
it hates the xorg aiglx composite... it simply crashes...

unfortunately i'm totally swamped right now, and prolly for tomorrow as well.. so i have no time to figure out what compiz results will be... bu ti still rekomend Xgl...(the sky is grey,metacity is gay)

#13 2006-08-22 08:55:23

nightfrost

compiz won't work very well under aiglx nowadays. I had it working with very good results back while when (search the forums for aiglx, I posted some stuff on it).

I think we all have to wait for wm + composite managers to be written for aiglx (to make compiz work under aiglx requires so many hacks). I was really hoping for metacity, but it seems like they will not complete the composite manager even for 2.16.

Maybe KDE4's wm will make use of aiglx (and hopefully glucose!).

#14 2006-08-22 13:52:08

Gullible Jones

noriko wrote:

sad  that's the version i used, cvs co'd aug 21st 06...
it hates the xorg aiglx composite... it simply crashes...

unfortunately i'm totally swamped right now, and prolly for tomorrow as well.. so i have no time to figure out what compiz results will be... bu ti still rekomend Xgl...(the sky is grey,metacity is gay)

Forget it... I've tried XGL, it just crashes and freezes and moans, even though my video card bloody well ought to work.

#15 2006-08-23 12:35:50

nightfrost

I just managed to get metacity's composite manager working. It's definitely not as fancy as compiz is, and it feels pretty sluggish and unstable. There is also, as far as I know, no way to turn individual effects on and off.

Here are the PKBUILDs that I used:
http://www.naderehvandi.net/uploads/libcm-cvs.tar.gz
http://www.naderehvandi.net/uploads/met … ite.tar.gz

I'm not uploading them since they depend on xorg-server>=1.1.0, which would be against the AUR regulations to upload a PKGBUILD of.

Other packages I have that may or may not be dependencies are:
* mesa-cvs (globally installed, i.e. not to /opt/mesa-xgl-cvs, but rather to /usr)
* xorg-server 1.1.1
* xf86-video-i810 1.6.5

#16 2006-08-25 22:07:48

nightfrost

Dear all,

I have compiz running finely, nicely and dandily on my intel 855GM with the i810 driver smile

Here are some relevant PKGBUILDs. Before you install these you should take a look at this thread here for an upgrade to xorg 7.1. But replace basilburn's xorg-server PKGBUILD with mine. In my tarball there's also a PKGBUILD for xf86-video-i810 1.6.5.

Anyway, I hope this will work for you as well it does for me. Good luck.

http://www.naderehvandi.net/uploads/com … lx.tar.bz2

Make sure you install cgwd and cgwd-themes as well (take a look in the AUR). I start compiz like this:

This is my simple script for starting compiz smile

#!/bin/bash
killall xcompmgr
        LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --strict-binding --indirect-rendering --replace gconf miniwin decoration transset put state wobbly fade 
        minimize cube rotate zoom scale move resize place switcher trailfocus water bs &
        cgwd --replace &

#17 2006-08-26 01:10:05

Gullible Jones

Oh... --indirect-rendering is the required option isn't it?

#18 2006-08-26 01:11:19

karsten

wow, nice work nightfrost.  this is great.  i'm getting errors with transparency elements though like shadows and titlebars, did you ever run into that? the shadows are black instead of partly opaque and the titlebars are solid colors.  other than that it works great.  any ideas? 

also, did you overwrite xorg's libgl-dri stuff with the mesa-cvs stuff?  thanks much

#19 2006-08-26 08:59:43

nightfrost

karsten wrote:

wow, nice work nightfrost.  this is great.  i'm getting errors with transparency elements though like shadows and titlebars, did you ever run into that? the shadows are black instead of opaque and the titlebars are solid colors.  other than that it works great.  any ideas?

I used to have these problems last time around I tried compiz. I remember I was having these problems in 16 bit color depth but not 32bit (or was it the other way around?). You could try that. Also, you could get gset-compiz from the AUR and try to get rid of the shadows for a better look. Other than that I don't know. Maybe you could search for posts on similar issues at http://www.compiz.net

karsten wrote:

also, did you overwrite xorg's libgl-dri stuff with the mesa-cvs stuff?  thanks much

Yeah I did. I don't if that might have been a stupid thing, but it seemed rather unnecessary to check out the BIG mesa lib from CVS in two different packages that are both needed nevertheless. And since it's CVS anyway I just merger the packages. I hope it's kosher. Anyone?

#20 2006-08-26 09:01:54

nightfrost

Gullible Jones wrote:

Oh... --indirect-rendering is the required option isn't it?

Think so. I know there's work being done on letting compiz autodetect the situation (whether the environment is XGL or AIGLX). But I don't think that's merged yet, so the that option is good to have for now.

#21 2006-08-27 15:35:01

cthulhufhtagn

make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mcarmen/xorg/compiz-aiglx/compiz-quinn-aiglx-cvs/src/compiz-build'
Making all in include
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mcarmen/xorg/compiz-aiglx/compiz-quinn-aiglx-cvs/src/compiz-build/include'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mcarmen/xorg/compiz-aiglx/compiz-quinn-aiglx-cvs/src/compiz-build/include'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mcarmen/xorg/compiz-aiglx/compiz-quinn-aiglx-cvs/src/compiz-build/src'
if i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I../include -DPLUGINDIR="/usr/lib/compiz" -DIMAGEDIR="/usr/share/compiz"    -march=i686 -O2 -pipe -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/main.Tpo" -c -o main.o main.c; 
        then mv -f ".deps/main.Tpo" ".deps/main.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/main.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
if i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I../include -DPLUGINDIR="/usr/lib/compiz" -DIMAGEDIR="/usr/share/compiz"    -march=i686 -O2 -pipe -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -MT privates.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/privates.Tpo" -c -o privates.o privates.c; 
        then mv -f ".deps/privates.Tpo" ".deps/privates.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/privates.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
if i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I../include -DPLUGINDIR="/usr/lib/compiz" -DIMAGEDIR="/usr/share/compiz"    -march=i686 -O2 -pipe -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -MT texture.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/texture.Tpo" -c -o texture.o texture.c; 
        then mv -f ".deps/texture.Tpo" ".deps/texture.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/texture.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
texture.c: In function 'bindPixmapToTexture':
texture.c:211: error: 'GLX_TEXTURE_FORMAT_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
texture.c:211: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
texture.c:211: error: for each function it appears in.)
texture.c:212: error: 'GLX_MIPMAP_TEXTURE_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
texture.c:238: error: 'GLX_TEXTURE_TARGET_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
texture.c:239: warning: passing argument 3 of 'screen->queryDrawable' makes integer from pointer without a cast
texture.c:241: error: 'GLX_TEXTURE_2D_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
texture.c:256: error: 'GLX_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
texture.c:290: error: 'GLX_FRONT_LEFT_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
texture.c:291: warning: passing argument 3 of 'screen->bindTexImage' makes integer from pointer without a cast
texture.c: In function 'releasePixmapFromTexture':
texture.c:322: error: 'GLX_FRONT_LEFT_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
texture.c:322: warning: passing argument 3 of 'screen->releaseTexImage' makes integer from pointer without a cast
texture.c: In function 'enableTexture':
texture.c:346: error: 'GLX_FRONT_LEFT_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
texture.c:347: warning: passing argument 3 of 'screen->bindTexImage' makes integer from pointer without a cast
texture.c: In function 'disableTexture':
texture.c:426: error: 'GLX_FRONT_LEFT_EXT' undeclared (first use in this function)
texture.c:426: warning: passing argument 3 of 'screen->releaseTexImage' makes integer from pointer without a cast
make[2]: *** [texture.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mcarmen/xorg/compiz-aiglx/compiz-quinn-aiglx-cvs/src/compiz-build/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mcarmen/xorg/compiz-aiglx/compiz-quinn-aiglx-cvs/src/compiz-build'
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

I got this from the PKGBUILD posted here. Am I missing something? No "No such file or directory" errors.

#22 2006-08-27 16:06:43

nightfrost

Try installing mesa-cvs first, if you haven't.

#23 2006-08-29 15:48:41

Gullible Jones

Mesa-cvs and the updated xorg-server and Intel driver should no longer be necessary, since the new stuff is now in Testing.

Board footer