You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-05 23:15:18

gregfrankenstein

[SOLVED] i3 not sending applications to second monitor

So I've finally made the switch to a tiling window manager and I've mostly got it doing what I want, including mapping certain workspaces to my second monitor, currently workspaces 9 and 10.

What I'm having trouble with is getting applications to launch in specific workspaces.  If I want VLC to always launch in the second monitor, I should be able to do this:

assign [class="^vlc$"] 9

Yet it still launches in whatever my current workspace is.  Same goes for taskbar applications.  I have the NetworkManager applet launch on startup, and I'd like that to be in the primary monitor.  I tried this:

exec --no-startup-id i3-msg 'workspace 1; exec nm-applet'

No luck.

I'm actually having a fantastic time with i3 aside from these sticking points though.  If I could figure these out I'd be golden.

EDIT: removed the part about not being about to map Ctrl+Alt+Del because I figured it out.  If anyone is wondering, it's like so:

bindsym Ctrl+Mod1+Delete exec --no-startup-id lxtask

DOUBLE EDIT:

Solved half of this problem thanks to this Reddit thread.  It was a case sensitivity issue.

assign [class="(?i)vlc"] 9

Now I just need to figure out how to get taskbar applets to show up in a particular monitor.

Last edited by gregfrankenstein (2017-11-07 20:32:43)

#2 2017-11-06 05:13:48

seiichiro0185
Website

Re: [SOLVED] i3 not sending applications to second monitor

About the systray issue:

in ~/.config/i3/config in the bar configuration block you can set on which output (=monitor) the systray should be. See the i3 Documentation for details.

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#3 2017-11-07 20:32:57

gregfrankenstein

Re: [SOLVED] i3 not sending applications to second monitor

Bam!  Thank you, internet.

Board footer