You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-08 13:18:53

Gasp0de

Dell Latitude E7470 weird touchpad behaviour

Hi everyone.
I'm using arch with gnome on my Dell Latitude E7470, and my touchpad is showing weird behavior.

When I put my finger on the left quarter of the touchpad, and then move it around, nothing happens. However, if I put my finger anywhere else and move it around, it works fine, even if I move into the left quarter without lifting the finger from the touchpad. This makes me think it's not a hardware defect, as the left quarter does recognize the finger. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

The laptop is not shipped with linux, so if I call the onsite support they will just tell me to install windows, I'd like to not do that if it isn't necessary since it involves a day or two of not being able to use my laptop.

Cheers,
Gasp0de

#2 2017-11-08 13:25:01

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Dell Latitude E7470 weird touchpad behaviour

There are a few threads on incompatibilites with the current libinput release, try to rule that out first: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=231494  if it isn't the same issue request a reopen via a report link/email

Closing. -- As duplicate.

Reopen upon appeal.
If it isn't libinput version 1.9, what else have you tried to identify the issue? Do you get anything in dmesg/xorg.logs, did you go through https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … figuration ? Have you tried synaptics/evdev to really rule out libinput? Is the left quarter used as a scrolling area and you'd be invoking scrolling?

Last edited by V1del (2017-11-08 15:02:08)

#3 2017-11-13 09:04:05

Gasp0de

Re: Dell Latitude E7470 weird touchpad behaviour

Sorry for the late response. I am not very experienced with investigating issues like that. The touchpad shows in the output of dmesg:

[3.499172] input: AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input7

There are no errors or anything else. The left side of the touchpad is not used as a scrolling area, I use two finger scrolling. I am using wayland, so according to the wiki article you linked, I can only configure libinput via graphical tools. I am using Gnome and all options seem fine to me. Edge scrolling is disabled. I'm not sure about trying out the synaptics driver, as it says in the wiki that it is no longer being actively developed. Also, it says nothing about compatibility with wayland. I can't break my notebook right now as I need it for work, will try synaptics on the weekend.

Last edited by Gasp0de (2017-11-13 09:07:13)

Board footer