You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-10 03:36:26

stri

KDE baloo indexing causes unresponsiveness

Hi,

I recently tried to get baloo file indexing to work, and after increasing the inotify folder watch limit it works. However, when I populate the hard disk with a lot of files (not extreme, just normal day-to-day desktop use), I notice that KDE becomes less responsive, sometimes to a point where it gets "stuck" for a couple of seconds every 10-15 seconds. That's not good, I have to turn it off then.

Are there any strategies to solve this problem? The niceness of all processes is already 19, but it still gets stuck. Are there any other things to tweak?

When I monitor CPU activity with top, then baloo_file_extractor often jumps to 80-90 %CPU. I have a 4-core CPU, I'm not sure whether 80-90 % are normal or concerning, not even if they refer to a single core or not. The top manual says

%CPU  --  CPU Usage
           The task's share of the elapsed CPU time since the last screen update, expressed as a
           percentage of total CPU time.
           In a true SMP environment, if a process is multi-threaded and top is not operating in Threads mode, amounts greater than 100% may be 
           reported.   ...

Thanks for your help, Stefan

#2 2017-11-10 07:55:42

seth

Re: KDE baloo indexing causes unresponsiveness

cat /sys/block/sd*/queue/scheduler

But the indexers are complete mem-, io- and cpuhogs. Google "how to disable baloo" and you'll see ...

#3 2017-11-10 09:28:01

stri

Awesome, thanks for the hint with the IO scheduler! I'll play around and see what gives the best results.

Regarding the "disable": Yes it's a costly luxury but with the right scheduling it should be affordable, no? Once the database is ready, the search in Dolphin works great, like in split-seconds. I had it disabled for years but I want to give it a spin.

#4 2017-11-10 12:48:19

seth

cfq is probably the only one available to support ionice (noop and deadline don't) what is used by baloo to lower its disk access priority.

Board footer