You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-12 17:08:06

sirplatypus

Very Slow Startup after Hibernation

I run Arch Linux on my HP Pavilion desktop.  I usually hibernate with systemctl hibernate, and when I start up again it usually takes about 15 seconds to start up.  Now, I find myself keeping many more tabs open, and several times the startup has slowed down significantly.  One problem I noticed is that the screen will show the desktop as it was when I powered off for a few seconds before showing the gdm login screen.  This morning my system powered up, blanked the monitors, showed the desktop, then went to gdm.  It took about four minutes, which is slower than Windows ever was after hibernating. 

Here is the output of `journalctl -xb`:
https://upload.cat/c9af3af45cad775d

Is it all of the windows I have open, a bug, or is there some other kind of problem?

Learning Dvorak was entirely worth it, solely because of the looks on people’s faces when they borrow my computers.

#2 2017-11-12 23:04:20

seth

Re: Very Slow Startup after Hibernation

Seems networkmanager related?
Try to stop the network connection before hibernation.

#3 2017-11-13 00:13:49

sirplatypus

Re: Very Slow Startup after Hibernation

It would seem an unfortunate amount of resource usage was happening that I somehow failed to see when i booted up.  Minecraft was somehow running even though I closed it yesterday, and taking up all of my cpu, and it seems that google chrome and slack have been doing a fair job on my RAM, even though I have no idea how or why....
I would bet that that accounts for most of it, it seems that hundreds of threads came from 13 or so google chrome tabs split across 5 or so windows, and slack is taking up a fair amount of RAM as well.  Ill have to monitor more closely in the future, and see if this solves my boot issue.
Thank you for the advice, I will try it and see if it helps to improve the boot time.

Learning Dvorak was entirely worth it, solely because of the looks on people’s faces when they borrow my computers.

Board footer