You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-13 09:15:39

Salkay

-m wants to access kwallet

I just updated all the KDE related components that were pushed in the last hour or so. This includes things like kwallet 5.39.0-1 -> 5.40.0-1. I restarted plasmashell, then was asked if "-m" could access kwallet.

BrP3VNat.png

I used pgrep and ps aux but couldn't really find anything that stuck out. How can I get more information on what wants to access kwallet, and/or does anyone know what this is?

#2 2017-11-13 12:50:05

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: -m wants to access kwallet

Do you have this installed?

#3 2017-11-13 14:46:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

As it is '-m' not 'm', I doubt the above mentioned would be it.  I'd gather some process/script is passing -m as a flag to an executable, but that executable is defined by a variable which is - at the time of it's expansion - undefined, eg:

$PROGRAM -m some-other-flags ...

This is likely to result from misuse/misunderstanding of environment variables (they are not global) and the inclusion of such a variable in some user-edited startup script.

You could grep through likely candidates with the following:

grep -rl '^\$.* -m' ~/.*

That regex does make the reasonable but not foolproof assumption that the variable would be at the start of the line - it could also take a while as written.  If you know where kde-related startup files are, you could use a more constrained list of targets (replace ~/.* with /path/to/kde-files).

Last edited by Trilby (2017-11-13 14:51:56)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2017-11-14 00:11:37

Salkay

x33a wrote:

Do you have this installed?

No, I don't, but thank you for the suggestion.

Trilby wrote:

I'd gather some process/script is passing -m as a flag to an executable, but that executable is defined by a variable which is - at the time of it's expansion - undefined, eg:

$PROGRAM -m some-other-flags ...

Thank you for the response. I tried to check my email this morning and it failed to sync, but that led me to identification of the problem. You were correct that "-m" was a flag. It was actually mbsync/isync (and a few other email command line tools) that retrieved my password from kwallet with:

python -m keyring get mbsync foo@bar

I guess this is some kind of bug in kwallet. I've had quite poor success with filing bugs in KDE, but I've filed this one anyway. Thanks to you both again.

It'd be nice if there were some generic way of identifying kwallet's linked applications, but I guess that's not possible.

Last edited by Salkay (2017-11-14 00:12:11)

Board footer