You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-13 22:59:11

pmabres

Graphical Issues MacBook Pro (Integrated GPU not detected)

Hello! I'm new in this forum and I'm really sorry for my confusing or lack of understanding of Arch. I'm really a beginner and I thought that someone here could know a little bit more than I do so I can troubleshoot this issue.

I have a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 : SPECS

Some info about my system (taken from dmesg):

Kernel Version: Linux version 4.11.3-1-ARCH (builduser@tobias) (gcc version 7.1.1 20170516 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun May 28 10:40:17 CEST 2017

Apple Inc. MacBookPro10,1/Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F, BIOS MBP101.88Z.00EE.B07.1501071031 01/07/2015

Full DMESG:

dmesg logs

Full Xorg.0.log:
xorg.log

Full lspci -v:
lspci

"optirun glxinfo" output:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2

"glxinfo" output:
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 256 bits)

I'm using XFCE as my desktop environment and I start it manually after log in:
"startxfce4"
(I like it that way, just in case if I have any hard issue to troubleshoot)

I know that this is not recommended but I cannot understand why having a /etc/X11/xorg.conf is an issue when running bumblebee but here it is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
xorg.conf
I didn't create the file, it was originally created by GUI "Nvidia X server Settings | nvidia-settings"

So after some info has been posted I Proceed to explain my Issue:

I've been experimenting installing Ubuntu first at this laptop but after some complications with earlier linux kernel versions I opted for installing archlinux because of support for newer releases.
So far it has been amazing, I couldn't be more happier with arch.  But there are some still remaining issues...

I'm connected through thunderbolt to an external VGA monitor. The detection works straight out of the box.
But then I realized that my internal display wasn't getting turned of when I closed the laptop lid.
What I did was just create a script that runs every N seconds and using xrandr I detect the level of the lid and turn off the screen if its closed or turn it on (and scale it so I don't have a really small resolution) when I open the lid (and turn off the external monitor so scaling works on just one screen (I'm sure there is better ways of doing this but It was the fastest way.))

So that sorted out of the way all that is left is troubleshooting the drivers issues.

I've searched for several days for a solution but still couldn't find the correct nail to hammer.

It seems that without optirun the intel card is not detected and it falls back to software rendering. I couldn't find any possible way of troubleshooting this.

My question is if somebody knows where to look at for troubleshooting this?

(I really enjoy troubleshooting and finding the solution but I'm really out of resources for now)

Thanks and all info is really much appreciated it.

Please if something is missing just let me know and I can expand on it.

Cheers,

Francisco

EDIT: I have some additional problems like system shutdown signal is not being fully processed and system does not finish turning off so I have to physically turn it off. and a lot of overheating issues.

EDIT2: apparently I was blacklisting the kernel modules in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
with the following:

install i915 /usr/bin/false
install intel_agp /usr/bin/false

Anyway , after commenting these lines I keep having the same issue.

Last edited by pmabres (2017-11-14 00:20:26)

#2 2017-11-14 00:28:05

ooo

Re: Graphical Issues MacBook Pro (Integrated GPU not detected)

First of all update your system! According to your kernel version your system is horribly out of date. Whatever issues you are trying to solve, could have been upstream bugs that have already been fixed with an update.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … the_system

Last edited by ooo (2017-11-14 00:36:01)

#3 2017-11-14 02:08:33

pmabres

Great! thanks for your quick response. Sorry I haven't updated my system in a while, pacman started to complain about some issues so I've been delaying this. I've managed to update my system and now is running with kernel: 4.13.12-1-ARCH

The system behaves exactly the same as before, except that llvmpipe has been updated

server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 5.0, 256 bits)

So I'm assuming that it is still doing a software rendering.
Do you guys know how can I be certain that even if i915 module is being loaded, GPU Acceleration is not taking it into consideration, so it could be a fault in my xorg.conf?

#4 2017-11-14 02:42:30

pmabres

Ok, so after playing a little bit I think I can guess where the issue is starting to crawl.
So with bumblebee loaded , all the kernel modules related to nvidia are disabled by default and controlled by it.

In my xorg.conf im putting manually my nvidia gpu driver to be used. Driver must not be found because of bumblebee and reverts back to software rendering.

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "nvidiagpu"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidiagpu"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID  "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "intelgpu"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    Driver         "intel"
EndSection

When I change Screen0 to start using Device "intelgpu" then I get a message that i915.ko time outs when trying to load.

This assumption however doesn't correlates with my xorg.log

[    61.829] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[    61.829] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

Meanwhile I will start looking at possible explainations for this DRI2 Capable issue.

Board footer