You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-13 06:58:25

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Taggin'

I keep hearing about tagging still a little confused about what it is & why its so cool

That sounds dumb but stick with me, understand that it relates to music/photos but what about other things?

Files & stuff...

Reading about Leaftag

How does it help with say searching for stuff (Beagle etc...) or should I just wait for Tenor to get off the ground

/me rants lol

Mr Green

#2 2006-07-13 07:36:05

hehejo_
Website

Re: Taggin'

Tagging is cool cause everybody tags and you can have a tag-cloud on your webpage.

I think tags allow the visitor of your site to see quite fast if his interessts match to this site.

And for beagle, these tags are additional metadata to search for.

#3 2006-07-13 07:42:45

pauldonnelly

It's meta-data. If you want to look up all the video game music in your mp3 collection, you could search for anything tagged as video game music. If you wanted to find all your documents about the upcoming FIRST Robotics competition, you could look for the FIRST tag. You could also use it as a more general way to organize your data. For example, you could tag files that need attention as urgent, rather than putting them all in the same directory. You could have a tag for files that you download but haven't yet sorted into the proper location (I often have those), or don't know you'll want to keep.

There are all kinds of uses. Basically, any file has a lot of useful information that should be associated with it, and tags provide a way to do that.

The downside is that you have to devote a lot of attention to making sure your tags are correct, or even there at all. Anyone with an mp3 collection know what it's like to try to get all the mp3 tags right. Imagine doing that with *every* file on your system.

I'd love to have tags, but I'm not willing to make such a huge effort to maintain them. I'm not sure tags can reach their full potential in a single-user system. They seem to work pretty well in a social setting, like on Youtube, because there are thousands of people to maintain them.

#4 2006-07-13 10:37:00

tmadhavan

There was a project I considered working on for my third year project, which I believe used some sort of tagging system (and tags of tags of tags etc).

The idea was to create a semantic desktop. As mentioned with 'tag clouds' to match users' interests, this system proposed the use of these tags to group data around the desktop. So, items which were semantically similar, appeared together on the screen, or may have your attention drawn to their relevance, somehow.

I realise it's not totally related, but it's a good example of how tags can be used for something a bit more advanced than just searching/grouping.

Board footer