You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-14 19:19:51

Commod0re

Nautilus 3.26.x won't open files [Solved]

With Nautilus 3.26.x (in both 3.26.0 and 3.26.2) I cannot open any files by double-clicking on them. The window just blinks and nothing happens. Right-clicking and choosing the default open with, and Ctrl+O, yield the same results. The only thing that works is right-clicking, then choosing "Open with Other Application" - from here, any of the possible choices will open just fine. For the time being, I have downgraded to 3.24.2-1, which is working as expected for the time being, but I'd like to figure this out anyway.

So far my suspicion is that it is something to do with my setup, or perhaps there is a rogue config or cache file that needs to be purged, but I cannot seem to get any useful information out of nautilus. Is anyone else having this issue? Or, does anyone have any ideas of what I can look at and/or try to figure out what's going wrong?

I'm using enlightenment 0.21.9-1, and the rest of my system is up to date as of this morning.
xdg-open and enlightenment_open both work without issue, regardless of what version of nautilus is installed.

I'm not sure what other information might be relevant, but I'll update this as needed.

EDIT: I found a working solution. I deleted ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list and ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache and it started working properly again.

Last edited by Commod0re (2018-01-30 18:16:15)

#2 2017-11-14 21:20:22

ooo

Re: Nautilus 3.26.x won't open files [Solved]

Nautilus (and pretty much everything else) uses xdg.-open to open files, which under enlightenment should use enlightenment_open command to open files.

Try opening some file with xdg-open and enlightenment_open from terminal, and look for errors. Any errors should also get printed in journal when you try to open a file.

#3 2017-11-15 18:18:24

Commod0re

Good suggestion, I neglected to mention that xdg-open and enlightenment_open both work fine from a terminal. Nothing except pacman install logs show up with egrep -ri nautilus /var/log/.

#4 2017-11-15 18:55:53

ooo

Commod0re wrote:

Nothing except pacman install logs show up with egrep -ri nautilus /var/log/.

You should know you can't grep systemd journal, because it's stored in a database.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Journal

#5 2017-11-16 01:40:12

Commod0re

That's... not very helpful. First off, it actually is, and your link explains why:

Tip: While the journal is stored in a binary format, the content of stored messages is not modified. This means it is viewable with strings, for example for recovery in an environment which does not have systemd installed.

and grep is quite capable of treating files it thinks are binary as text for these purposes. However, giving you the benefit of the doubt, I have checked there as well and no messages appear while journalctl --user --system -f is running. Nautilus simply fails to execute anything without circuitously right-clicking a file, clicking "Open with Other Application", then selecting any app, and then clicking select.

Last edited by Commod0re (2017-11-16 01:41:45)

#6 2017-11-16 02:13:23

Rasi
Website

Yes something is broken in latest nautilus. For me it always forgets whatever new default application i set

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Board footer