You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-17 15:00:14

restore

Virtual console is shifted two lines to the bottom of screen

Hello there,

since an upgrade via pacman several weeks ago, the display of the virtual console is shifted two lines to the bottom of screen. This means in praxis, that the two highest lines are occupied by the startup messages
"starting version 235" and
"[  9.959484] kvm:disabled by bios".
When the history of the console is too long, this results in my actual input prompt to be outside of the display. When I clear the screen with Ctrl + L, the two upper lines quoted above remain, and my input prompt is the third line of the screen.

I upgraded my system several times since then, nothing happened. I reinstalled ALL packages and as a last resort reinstalled the whole system – the error occures again. This seems not to be a hardware error, because starting Arch from the installation medium does not reproduce the bug. I'm using a ThinkPad X60 Laptop.

#2 2017-11-17 15:16:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Virtual console is shifted two lines to the bottom of screen

Can you boot with the kernel option `nomodeset` and see if the problem persists there.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-11-21 12:08:19

restore

Thank you for your answer! You are correct, the problem does *not* persists after including the option `nomodeset`. What do you recommend – should I keep it as persistent option?

#4 2017-11-21 13:18:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No, this was meant as a diagnostic test - and while it can be useful for getting a fully functional tty in which to gather further data and patch things up it can cause problems that will make it less than ideal as a long-term workaround (e.g. you may not be able to start X and/or if you can it may not run at it's best).

But this does indicate that the problem is with the graphics driver(s) and/or their configuration.  What is the graphics hardware?  I think most thinkpads have integrated intel graphics, but some also have a discrete nvidia card.

If this is an intel-only system, you may want to try the "intel_iommu=off" kernel parameter.  This parameter has been required by a wide range of intel-gpu users as of a relatively recent kernel version - though your symptoms may be a bit different, it is trivial to give this a try.

Last edited by Trilby (2017-11-21 13:24:20)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer