You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-23 13:20:57

Yann

Opening several image MIME types files in same application (feh)

Hi everyone,
I hope I am in the right place to ask my question.

2 months ago I mounted an archlinux OS with an i3 WM. I am using PCManFM as file manager and feh as image viewer. In PCManFM, I would like to be able to select several image files having different MIME types such as image/jpeg and image/png and be able to open them in the same feh process just pressing "Enter" or "Open".

I have already read a lot about MIME types and all the different config files such as "mimeinfo.cache", "mimeapps.list" and "defaults.list". Setting a default application to open a defined MIME type bring the issue that when I select .png and .jpeg files and press Open, it opens them in two different processes, one for the .jpeg files and one for the .png files regarding their default application.

I tried to create a new MIMEtype called "images" with jpeg, png, gif, etc. but it doesn't recognize it. I guess we can not create a new MIMEtype with extension already defined such as jpeg in image/jpeg.

I think there is a solution as I tried on a fresh Ubuntu with default file manager and image viewer and it has no problem to open different image MIMEtype files in the same image viewer process.

Does someone have an idea how to pass over the default application for a defined MIMEtype and keep the whole file list to an unique feh process from PCManFM?

Thank you for your time.

all different - all equal

#2 2017-11-23 14:03:17

Lone_Wolf

Re: Opening several image MIME types files in same application (feh)

arch linux has 3 pacmanfm versions :

pcmanfm-qt (used in lxqt and maintained/developed by pcmanfm himself)
pcmanfm - (gtk2 version )
pcmanfm-gtk3

Which one are you using ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-11-23 16:39:14

Yann

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

I am currently using pcmanfm-gtk3 1.2.5-2.

#4 2017-11-25 12:53:07

Yann

I made some tests/progress.

I installed PCManFM on a fresh Ubuntu and I observed the same behavior than on my arch system. In another hand, I installed Nautilus on my Arch system and I didn't observe the same behavior than in Ubuntu. Indeed, Nautilus launches a new process for every image opened (3 jpegs launch 3 processes). That behavior is worth than in PCManFM and at the opposite of the Nautilus behavior on Ubuntu.

Doing that I can deduce, as Lone_Wolf was probably supposing, that behavior comes from the PCManFM application.

Does someone have an idea how to change that behavior? Can I change the "Open" process without going to the internal PCManFM code?
Thank you for your time.

#5 2017-11-26 13:27:59

Lone_Wolf

I did indeed suspect that the behaviour you described was specific to that ubuntu filemanager.

You'd need to pipe the selection made by the user to an external command that replaces the built-in open .
No idea if there exist filemanagers that allow that.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2017-11-26 13:34:50

Yann

I understand. Thank you for your answer.

Board footer