You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-24 16:15:33

pfdint

viewing the thumbnails folder in nautilus

Nautilus generates thumbnails fine most of the time.
I understand that it uses gnome thumbnailer or something to generate them, and they go in ~/.cache/thumbnails/{large|normal}

I want to view that thumbnails folder using thumbnails.
Nautilus refuses to display generated thumbnails for this folder.

Is there some reason it won't do this? Perhaps if it did, it would generate thumbnails of thumbnails which would go in that folder and cause a loop?

Yes, image size is set to max 4GB.
Yes, it's 'on this computer'.
Yes the files belong to me and my group and 600.

I'm not attached to using nautilus. Is there some other solution I could use to view thumbnails for this folder?

Last edited by pfdint (2017-11-24 16:16:31)

#2 2017-11-24 18:05:22

charlie

Re: viewing the thumbnails folder in nautilus

It makes sense not to generate thumbnails for thumbnails. So I guess you're right about why it won't show them: nautilus would need first to generate thumbnails for the thumbnails. Those thumbnails would appear as new image files in the thumbnail folder so nautilus will ask for the generation of the thumbnails of these new files which then generate new files in the folder... and so on until something breaks. I can't tell for sure because I don't know how it is done internally but I guess displaying thumbnail necessitate to create a file in the thumbnail folder so that's the reason why the thumbnail functionality should be disabled for these folders.

If you want to view them just copy the content of the folders elsewhere.

Last edited by charlie (2017-11-24 18:07:02)

Board footer