You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-24 17:17:18

charlie

Gnome desktop menu, Kile never appear in the "frequent" list

Hi all,

I've been using the Gnome 3 desktop environment with my Archlinux. I'm frequently using the application called "Kile". Every time I want to launch it I can either double click on associated files in nautilus (essentially *.tex files), launch it from the terminal or launch it from the Gnome desktop menu. Every time I do the latter I click on "Show applications" then type "Kile" in the "type to search" entry. The application never appear among the icons when clicking on the "Frequent" button even though I'm using it  every working day. I've remarked though that I have launched another application once and just after, this one has appeared among the icons that come after clicking "frequent" in the desktop menu (this was the application simply named "chess", never used it again).

So I guess there's an issue with this. I've tried to find something on the internet but there's been several issues. Firstly I wasn't sure what term to look for. Secondly anything I've tried didn't yield any relevant results.

Have you heard of any issue with the list of "frequent"ly used applications in gnome desktop menu? Where can I find out what's going on? Is it that Gnome only put gnome-related application in the frequent list?

TLDR:
I open the gnome desktop menu "show applications". I click on "frequent" and check the list.
Assume neither the application "chess" and "kile" appear among the icons and that both applications are installed on your system.
Search for "kile" in the "type to search" entry on top. Click on the "Kile" icon. Close the application. Check the "frequent" menu again. The icon of "Kile" doesn't appear.
Now search for "chess", click on the "Chess" icon to launch the application. Close the application. Check the "frequent" menu again. The icon of "chess" *does* appear.

Last edited by charlie (2017-11-24 17:20:15)

#2 2017-11-24 22:23:57

charlie

Re: Gnome desktop menu, Kile never appear in the "frequent" list

As a note, the problem also occurs with Okular: it never appears in the list of frequently used applications. Maybe Gnome is at war with anything related to KDE?

Board footer