You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-26 19:06:48

nonZero

[SOLVED] How can I easily choose which AUR packages to upgrade?

Hi!

How can I easily list AUR packages requiring upgrade and **easily** choose the ones I would like to upgrade?

Thanks!

Last edited by nonZero (2017-11-28 10:58:35)

#2 2017-11-26 19:08:30

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How can I easily choose which AUR packages to upgrade?

Use `pacman -Qm` to see what you have installed; alternatively use a utility like cower.  The AUR isn't a repo; you have to build updated versions yourself.  Recommend you read the AUR page on the wiki if you haven't already.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2017-11-26 19:17:50

nonZero

OK, so `pacman -Qm` shows a list of packages which can be upgraded.
I would like:
1. To see also the current version installed
2. Edit this list and send to `aura`/`yaourt` for installing from AUR.

Any chance this tool already exists?

Thanks!

#4 2017-11-26 19:19:03

Slithery
Administrator

Why would you only want to upgrade some AUR packages and not all of them?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2017-11-26 19:20:52

nonZero

GOT IT!

`yaourt -Syu --aur` and choose [M]anually select packages.

:-)

#6 2017-11-26 19:22:59

progandy

slithery wrote:

Why would you only want to upgrade some AUR packages and not all of them?

Maybe spread it out over multiple days if you have only 1-2 hours per day free? Prioritise packages you need sooner and do the rest when you have more time? Then there are also git packages where your current build is still fine and you don't want to recompile yet.

Last edited by progandy (2017-11-26 19:24:24)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#7 2017-11-26 19:35:35

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Yaourt is not your package manager.

Not a Pacman issue, moving to AUR Issues...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2017-11-26 19:35:39

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

nonZero wrote:

OK, so `pacman -Qm` shows a list of packages which can be upgraded.
I would like:
1. To see also the current version installed
2. Edit this list and send to `aura`/`yaourt` for installing from AUR.

Any chance this tool already exists?

Thanks!

No, that command shows you installed packages (with versions) that don't belong to a repo.  Recommend you do not use an AUR helper.  Just use makepkg.

#9 2017-11-26 20:48:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

graysky wrote:

Recommend you do not use an AUR helper.  Just use makepkg.

In your previous post you offered the alternative of cower: that is an AUR helper.

More importantly, makepkg is wholely inadequate for the job discussed in this thread.  While yaourt is like using a thousand pounds of TNT when a lighter would suffice, it is perfectly reasonable to want a tool to automate/facilitate checking which locally installed packages have newer versions available in the AUR.

I suspect your disdain for yaourt has led you to the unjustified conclusion that the job it solves in the context of this thread is not worth solving.  `cower -u` would be my preferred approach (closer to the lighter than to the TNT), but this also requires an AUR helper: makepkg simply does not do this job.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2017-11-26 20:52:22

ewaller
Administrator

I prefer pacaur.  But I do recommend everyone know how to use makepkg.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2017-11-26 20:54:25

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Trilby wrote:

cower -u` would be my preferred approach (closer to the lighter than to the TNT), but this also requires an AUR helper: makepkg simply does not do this job.

Agreed.  That would flag packages from the AUR that are out-of-date.  Shift to `-d foo` and build yourself.

#12 2017-11-27 00:02:56

eschwartz
Fellow

ewaller wrote:

I prefer pacaur.  But I do recommend everyone know how to use makepkg.

Well, as long as we're all discussing our favorite AUR helpers, pacaur is code soup that manages to technically be more technically correct than yaourt, but is far more obtuse (it is painful to try figuring out what it is doing), and the developer explicitly chooses to emit error messages that lie and abort the update in the event that an AUR maintainer has not run makepkg --printsrcinfo before updating the package. Also it's over-engineered. tongue

The funny thing is that .SRCINFO was never supposed to be used for this job, and it is the wrong tool anyway. Moreover, pacaur already has a flawlessly working workaround, which is used for -git packages as those will by design not match the .SRCINFO -- but the developer refuses to use that everywhere for no reason other than, basically, "I would like to punish users, in the hope that they will complain on the AUR comments page and shame the maintainer into fixing their stuff".

Meanwhile, this workaround only applies to packages which match his inaccurate heuristic matching of VCS packages. IIRC this spawned a several-hour-long discussion on #archlinux-aur due to a split PKGBUILD for linux-drm-tip-git{,-headers} which quite naturally failed the heuristic, because someone was confused as to how such a godly-perfect paragon of AUR helpers was rejecting a package that was seemingly "doing it all right". tongue

Have you considered using aurutils? An oddity among AUR helpers, it is sane, easy to read, doesn't try to do too much magic, and as a bonus it is *extremely* modular and supports clean chroot builds and custom repos. Also pacaur -- despite the developer's objections -- is truly the new yaourt, used by every fool who doesn't try to understand anything and used to be told to use yaourt. Whereas aurutils actually lives up to its design goal as only for "advanced users", by not wrapping pacman and instead asking you to configure a custom repo to which it adds packages.

(pacaur supports neither. yaourt actually does support both, since you can define your own $MAKEPKG command for building packages. Oh lol, yaourt does something better for once. wink)

Last edited by eschwartz (2017-11-27 00:04:43)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#13 2017-11-27 00:13:12

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Have you considered using aurutils?

I've heard that you support organized drug trafficking by using aurutils.

Either way it's clear OP should familiarize himself with how the AUR (or even pacman) works before using any kind of third-party tools. For small tasks, you can also enable email notifications on the AUR website.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

(and again, please stop using cower)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#14 2017-11-27 01:30:32

ewaller
Administrator

Eschwartz wrote:

Have you considered using aurutils? An oddity among AUR helpers, it is sane, easy to read, doesn't try to do too much magic, and as a bonus it is *extremely* modular and supports clean chroot builds and custom repos.

Nope.   But you do convince me to do so.   As to pacaur; it has never hurt me and it does what I need.
At the moment, I am moving out of Chromium back into Firefox.  $DAYJOB will be ridiculously busy this week and next.  Maybe I'll get a chance to play with aurutils mid December.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#15 2017-11-27 15:45:23

verndog

I haven't tried many(if any) helpers, but choose pacaur because of some good reviews. The problem with reading comments as to which AUR is best, is like asking what religion or politico party should I join. Here is one such review on several AUR's:
https://www.slant.co/topics/1447/versus … rt_vs_aura

Last edited by verndog (2017-11-27 15:46:42)

#16 2017-11-27 16:34:41

eschwartz
Fellow

Hmm, that infamous thing. Well, I've added a few more details here and there, maybe that will stem the tide of uninformed users (although I doubt it). This will take a lot of work to fix though...

Oh, Alad! Your AUR helper now features intelligent descriptions on slant.co!

#17 2017-11-27 17:26:49

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Uh, thanks I guess.

slant wrote:

Being written in Perl, trizen has an extra level of security over bash as well as performance and power benefits inherent to Perl

The more you know...

Last edited by Alad (2017-11-27 17:27:04)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#18 2017-11-30 19:07:10

NuSkool

nonZero wrote:

Hi!

How can I easily list AUR packages requiring upgrade and **easily** choose the ones I would like to upgrade?

Thanks!

Try pkgbrowser to get the info. Just a few mouse clicks, upgrades, then sort by repo.

So many options to handle AUR stuff. Definitely learn how to use pacman and makepkg first though.
I prefer to upgrade one AUR package at a time, after a pacman system upgrade.

To use makepkg, click the URL in pkgbrowser to open a web browser on the AUR page, copy URL of snapshot, paste URL into wget, extract, cd,  makepkg -si.
To use pacaur, copy package name from pkgbrowser, paste into pacaur -S.
To use <whatever you choose> appropriate commands...

I don't like yaourt. Tried it way back and decided it's not for me. I've tried, used several AUR helpers over the years. Sometimes you will have to upgrade AUR stuff manually with makepkg.

Now I need to go try Alad's ~new AUR stuff.

Last edited by NuSkool (2017-11-30 19:27:53)

#19 2017-11-30 19:26:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

NuSkool wrote:

To use makepkg, click the URL in pkgbrowser to open a web browser on the AUR page, copy URL of snapshot, paste URL into wget, extract, cd,  makepkg -si.

That's a lot of needless steps:

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/${pkgname}.git
cd ${pkgname}
makepkg -si

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#20 2017-11-30 19:31:53

NuSkool

Trilby wrote:
NuSkool wrote:

That's a lot of needless steps:

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/${pkgname}.git
cd ${pkgname}
makepkg -si

Nice! With this, I'll have my own little script for AUR updates now.

Paste <name> into aurud script.

Last edited by NuSkool (2017-11-30 19:33:39)

#21 2017-11-30 19:49:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you are already copy & pasting, you can automate it further (perhaps binding the following to a key in your WM):

pkgname=$(xsel)
# then continue as above

#22 2017-12-18 00:46:05

zpg443

As of 15 Dec 2017, pacaur is no longer maintained.

If you have enabled notifications for all of your AUR packages, is there even a reason to use a helper to keep up with AUR package updates?

#23 2017-12-18 00:56:24

eschwartz
Fellow

Not really, using an AUR helper just for update notifications doesn't get you anything over using email notifications. The power of an AUR helper lies in the ability to automatically parse dependency chains.

The simplest AUR update-only helper would be the following shell alias or function:

cd /var/aur/; for i in */; do (cd $i; git pull; makepkg -sir); done

#24 2017-12-23 16:07:59

ewaller
Administrator

ewaller wrote:
Eschwartz wrote:

Have you considered using aurutils? An oddity among AUR helpers, it is sane, easy to read, doesn't try to do too much magic, and as a bonus it is *extremely* modular and supports clean chroot builds and custom repos.

Nope.   But you do convince me to do so.   .... $DAYJOB will be ridiculously busy this week and next.  Maybe I'll get a chance to play with aurutils mid December.

Not counting the unplanned trip abroad.  In any event, I did get a chance to try out aurtools.   Eschwartz, Thank you immensely  for the heads-up on this one.  Clearly a superior paradigm for handling AUR packages. I've already uninstalled pacaur.

---

#25 2017-12-23 23:18:54

eschwartz
Fellow

\o/ Another convert!

Happy to help. smile

Board footer