You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-27 21:42:43

chr0mag

nginx-mainline in community but all associated modules in AUR?

The installation section for the nginx wiki page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nginx#Installation recommends nginx-mainline over nginx. This makes sense to me as it fits with Arch's philosophy (as I understand it), yet all the modules in the official repos require nginx as a dependency and all nginx-mainline modules are in AUR.

For Arch, I would have expected this to be the other way around with nginx-mainline modules being in the official repos.  Wouldn't this be analogous to PHP where the latest (php7 & deps) are in the official repos, but older versions (php5) can be found in AUR?

Package stats show a 15% usage for nginx vs only 3% for nginx-mainline but I'm curious how much of this is because no modules are available in the official repos for the mainline version?  I can't be the first to build a server using nginx-mainline at the recommendation of the wiki (and nginx themselves) only to find myself rolling back to the older nginx package in order to avoid compiling modules (mod-naxsi in my case) from AUR for my server.

I notice one of the rules for package entering the community repo from AUR states: packages that are part of a collection and are intended to be distributed together, provided a part of this collection satisfies the definition of popular.  This seems to fit for at least some of the nginx-mainline modules.

Have I missed something here? If not, I guess this is my case for getting some nginx-mainline mods into the official repos. smile

Board footer