You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-30 11:26:14

colincreevey

[SOLVED] cmake on $PATH (Plus hello from new member)

Hi all,

I am super new to this and just finished installing Archlinux on a crapped out windows pc to get my feet wet with crypto currency.

One project I am working on asks to put cmake on $PATH.

Would anyone please explain how to do this?

It's 3:30 am my time (past my bedtime) and I really could use a quick reply versus doing lengthy research about the architecture of LINUX and the workings of PATH.

I know it sounds lame, but I feel like I just entered a secret club after successfully installing Archlinux and answering the registration question. I could have gone Ubuntu, but I wanted to start rudimentary and force myself to learn from a more 'raw' distro. It turned out to be harder than I imagined; hence the feeling of accomplishment. Definitely a noob to software development and computer science (outside of MS Access DB creation - light VBA coding). With the emergence of bitcoin and other crypto currencies into the early adoption mainstream, I am drawn to the increasingly more tangible prospect of an alternative to the fiat U.S dollar and traditional financial system. I want to be a part of something that I feel is revolutionary.

Thanks and hello again.

Last edited by colincreevey (2017-12-02 11:24:05)

#2 2017-11-30 12:02:37

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] cmake on $PATH (Plus hello from new member)

In general https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/En … _variables

Also wanting quick replies without researching is really not a good option here, you are asking a very basic question that will be easily answerable in a google search in a matter of minutes.

However as it stands this lacks context, since cmake is a binary, it will already be in your path if you installed it from the repos. so what's the project? What have you tried to identify the issue? Is there even an issue or are you just preemptively asking?

That said I hope this introduction doesn't scare you off, and that you will learn enough to become a valuable member to this community, so, welcome to the boards.

#3 2017-12-02 11:22:48

colincreevey

Re: [SOLVED] cmake on $PATH (Plus hello from new member)

The project is here: https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin/bl … c/build.md

I was following the install instructions where it says to make sure cmake is installed on $PATH. I did try some initial research, but I still didn't have a clear idea on how to add cmake to $PATH.

I was running into errors during the cargo build phase of the installation. One turned out to be issues with not having a c compiler like gcc installed. The other was that I did not have make installed. Before I learned this I assumed it was because I did not put cmake on $PATH, so I ran 'whereis cmake' to find the directories, and then added each directory to $PATH via "export PATH:$PATH='(cmake directory)'. I'm not sure if this is an appropriate way to add something to $PATH, but it did show up in there when I ran echo $PATH

Ultimately, I just logged out and back in after assuming what you said is correct and that cmake should be in $PATH  (I did pull it in via pacman), which cleared the $PATH adds I made. The cargo build compiled everything successfully with gcc and make installed.

Thank you for the reply

Board footer