You are not logged in.
Hi All -
I've been trying to set up a home "lab" so I can further increase my understanding of Chef. While doing this, I've found an area of frustration I'm looking both to understand (likely a VBox cause) and remedy.
The goal is to use my Arch desktop (which hosts VBox) as the workstation for Chef-dk (installed)
Create two Ubuntu VM's (setup and configured):
- chefsvr (hosts the Chef server)
- chefnode (the node to apply Chef recipes on and manage)
Having spent a while trying to get this all up and running, I noticed that this fails. The error is:
/opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/net-ssh-4.1.0/lib/net/ssh/transport/session.rb:90:in `rescue in initialize': Net::SSH::ConnectionTimeout (Net::SSH::ConnectionTimeout)
from /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/net-ssh-4.1.0/lib/net/ssh/transport/session.rb:57:in `initialize'
from /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/net-ssh-4.1.0/lib/net/ssh.rb:233:in `new'
from /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/net-ssh-4.1.0/lib/net/ssh.rb:233:in `start'
from /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/net-ssh-multi-1.2.1/lib/net/ssh/multi/server.rb:186:in `new_session'
from /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/net-ssh-multi-1.2.1/lib/net/ssh/multi/session.rb:488:in `next_session'
from /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/net-ssh-multi-1.2.1/lib/net/ssh/multi/server.rb:138:in `session'
from /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/net-ssh-multi-1.2.1/lib/net/ssh/multi/session_actions.rb:36:in `block (2 levels) in sessions'
from /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/logging-2.2.2/lib/logging/diagnostic_context.rb:474:in `block in create_with_logging_context'In trying to debug the above, I've added a 2nd nick to the VM's so that the first NIC is now a Host Only Adapter and the 2nd a Bridge Adapter as I want to use my internal DNS server. Traffic seems to pass freely and SSH works all around outside of Chef.
No joy after adding the 2nd adapters.
My next effort was to spin up a 3rd VM and try that as a management node. Instead of Arch I used Ubuntu because I wanted to be as close to the Chef "How-to" as possible. After spinning up and configuring this workstation, everything works as expected.
Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. I'd love to use all the tools on my Arch and not be working totally in Vms.
Many thanks.
Offline