You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-02 22:58:29

ferN

Notion confusion (terminal emulator, console)

Hello, I would like to clarify some terminology. I know, you all think why don't I just google it, but I just get a lot of different information and I think its more efficient to get it from archers.
1. What is terminal?
2. What is console?
3. What is the difference between terminal and terminal emulators and why are they called emulators? (Is it because they're being run inside display servers, or because they're emulating the historical device like vt100, or neither of these?)
4. Every time I am booting into arch, where do I end up? In other words, from what do I write "startx", is it called console or terminal?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ferN (2017-12-02 22:59:01)

#2 2017-12-02 23:00:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Notion confusion (terminal emulator, console)

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … /4132#4132

You start X from the console (TTYx).

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-12-03 02:39:32

Monkey_Mod

ferN wrote:

Hello, I would like to clarify some terminology. I know, you all think why don't I just google it, but I just get a lot of different information and I think its more efficient to get it from archers.
1. What is terminal?
2. What is console?
3. What is the difference between terminal and terminal emulators and why are they called emulators? (Is it because they're being run inside display servers, or because they're emulating the historical device like vt100, or neither of these?)
4. Every time I am booting into arch, where do I end up? In other words, from what do I write "startx", is it called console or terminal?

Thanks in advance!

1. a terminal is a physical device that you enter data into.
2. a console is a physical screen you connect with a patch cable to access something like a CISCO router to configure.
3. terminal emulators simulate a physical terminal and some emulate old vt100s, etc. as you stated.
4. when you're configuring arch you're in getty(tty) and you are in a terminal.

#4 2017-12-03 03:40:17

fsckd
Forum Fellow

To add to the above:
(4) As said, this is a terminal (tty). It is running on a virtual console. Unlike a real console, you have a number of virtual consoles sharing the same monitor and keyboard. You can switch between them by pressing alt and a function key (or if in X, ctrl and alt and a function key). When you run startx, that virtual console is then being used for a GUI interface instead of a terminal.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#5 2017-12-03 12:07:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

All the above is correct - I'll just add a note that (unfortunately) these terms are frequently used interchangably.  They shouldn't be, and you should strive to use them correctly, but you should also be ready to hear less experienced *nixers toss them about indiscriminately.

This latter point is what gives us all a bit of frustration when an insufficient description is given in a support request, e.g., "How do I set the font in my terminal?"  Sadly this often ends in those who know what they're talking about debating whether the OP should configure vconsole.conf, edit their ~/.xresources, or right click on the terminal for some menu options rather than just asking the OP what they are taking about.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer