You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-03 08:07:47

afya

Kernel panic, and possibly more issue created by me

I've got a Kernel panic. Not sync etc......I'm currently in live usb so I can't type the exact message.

So I tried to arch-chroot from USB, no luck:

failed to execute /bin/bash: Input/output error

fsck the partition, no error.

After reading some other threads, I put glibc-2.26-6-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz on a USB, mount it and:

pacman -U glibc-2.26-6-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz -r /mnt

Didn't let me. Said "Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded"

I then probably screwed it up:

pacman -U --force glibc-2.26-6-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz -r /mnt

After 3/3 updating the info directory file:

/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries:libncursesw.so.6: file too short

arch-chroot /mnt again:

/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries:libncursesw.so.6: file too short

Is it hopeless now?

#2 2017-12-03 08:33:05

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Kernel panic, and possibly more issue created by me

afya wrote:

Is it hopeless now?

Yes. Since you seem to be doing random stuff without any context, I would say that you start from scratch.

#3 2017-12-03 12:37:57

seth

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … an_upgrade

But I agree with x33a - as long as you pipe random stuff into the shell for things you've read (but not understood) on the interwebz (and even this forum), you are screwed.
What did you think was gonna happen when you enforced a partial update??

#4 2017-12-03 13:18:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I tried starting my car this morning but it wouldn't start.  So I figured I'd try putting more air in the tires, but I seem to have put too much in one and it exploded ... and the car still wouldn't start.  I read that one has to put gas in cars, so I tried that, but I may have done it wrong: I put it in the radiator rather than the gas tank.

I'm not sure if getting my car running is now hopeless, but I am sure I should stop attempting random fixes that I don't understand and I should start by trying to identify what the problem actually was in the first place.  Unfortunately now even if find it is something simple like a dead battery, the normal fix for that will not be sufficient as even after a jump start, I'll have a blown out tire and a radiator full of gasoline: both much worse problems than the original dead battery.

While it might be possible to fix it up, I think as it's free to just download and run a brand new car, that'd be the better option at this point.  And in the future I'll be much more careful with my car maintenance and seek help when I'm in over my head.  If I find that owning my own car is too much for me at this point, I might also just start taking an UberUntoo to work and save myself the hassle.

Last edited by Trilby (2017-12-03 13:21:25)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-12-03 14:07:28

afya

Hard lesson learned. The system first went down when I tried pacman -Syu but then pacman.log didn't say where it broke. I only know it stopped after harfbuzz package.

Like seth said, I read https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=132271 and since it had the same error as mine, I kinda assume the same glibc package broke in mine and not really understand it. Pacman warned me but well, stupid me ignored it. As soon as I see the last message I know I'm in big trouble.

Given now it's pretty much screwed. Should I try:

If the system uses default database and directory locations, you can now update the system's pacman database and upgrade it via pacman --root=/mnt --cachedir=/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg -Syyu as root.

#6 2017-12-03 14:58:45

seth

It won't break anything, but you should carefully watch for errors (existing files etcetc), understand them and act accordingly to resolve issues with your installation.
From " system first went down when I tried pacman -Syu" I'd infer that you even encountered exactly the scenario described in the linked wiki article?

#7 2017-12-03 15:02:15

afya

seth wrote:

It won't break anything, but you should carefully watch for errors (existing files etcetc), understand them and act accordingly to resolve issues with your installation.
From " system first went down when I tried pacman -Syu" I'd infer that you even encountered exactly the scenario described in the linked wiki article?

I was doing Syu then the whole laptop went black and once I started it back, I got the kernel panic. Not really any error thrown.

#8 2017-12-03 15:38:12

seth

Sounds like you ran out of battery? Or into a thermal crisis.

Board footer