You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-03 15:30:37

ptitcois
Member
Registered: 2017-12-03
Posts: 2

Problem with DBUS and gnome apps (solved)

Hi,
I am french, sorry for my bad english.
I have a problem with all gnome application (gnome-* and nautilus). This applications start very slowly (> 30 seconds). I use openbox standalone.

I investigate the problem and I found that 2 environment variable causes the problem. Theses variable are DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and XDG_RUNTIME_DIR.

If i type:

unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS  XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

The gnome apps are fast (< 1 sec, for the most light apps). But for nautilus (or thunar) the removable devices do not appear on the left panel. Because it is not connected to DBUS ?
Can i speed up the startup of these applications while maintaining DBUS connection ?

Thanks

Fanch

PS:
Here is the default value of these variable

DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000

Last edited by ptitcois (2017-12-03 16:50:31)

Offline

#2 2017-12-03 15:51:04

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,077

Re: Problem with DBUS and gnome apps (solved)

I use openbox standalone.

And probably startx?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc - see the second note.

Otherwise, what's the output of

loginctl session-status

Offline

#3 2017-12-03 16:49:59

ptitcois
Member
Registered: 2017-12-03
Posts: 2

Re: Problem with DBUS and gnome apps (solved)

Hi thanks for your response !
The problem came from my xinitrc which was only

exec ck-launch-session openbox-session

I solved the problem by copying /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ~/.xinitrc and modifying the end of file to call openbox !

Thanks !

Last edited by ptitcois (2017-12-03 16:50:45)

Offline

#4 2017-12-03 16:51:10

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,776

Re: Problem with DBUS and gnome apps (solved)

Make sure you remove ck-launch-session from your exec line as well, it should only be...

exec openbox-session

Last edited by Slithery (2017-12-03 16:51:29)


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB