You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-04 03:31:49

woa12

[SOLVED] Arch Linux Doesn't Boot When "CSM Support" is disabled

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I installed Arch on my PC using a GPT scheme and when I try to boot into it, I am returned to my BIOS options screen. When I hit F12 to choose which device to boot into, nothing shows up. This happens only when I have the "CSM support" option disabled in my BIOS settings. However, my BIOS seems to be able to boot into the flash drive which I have the Arch ISO installed on, and I know it's in UEFI mode because there is output when I verify the boot mode, this is also when the "CSM support" option is enabled in my BIOS settings.

Am I better off just using an MBR scheme for Arch, or is there something wrong with my BIOS settings? I can't pinpoint why the installation ISO boots fine in UEFI mode, but after actually installing Arch on my HDD, nothing shows up in the boot menu.

Last edited by woa12 (2017-12-04 04:22:49)

#2 2017-12-04 03:35:57

circleface

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux Doesn't Boot When "CSM Support" is disabled

Which boot loader / manager did you install?

#3 2017-12-04 03:38:34

woa12

circleface wrote:

Which boot loader / manager did you install?

Thanks for your help.

I installed the GRUB bootloader.

#4 2017-12-04 04:06:53

cfr

Please provide details of your configuration e.g. partitions (output from gdisk -l or whatever), how you installed grub etc. Did you get any errors when you installed grub? Does your firmwaren's boot menu include an entry for grub? Are you absolutely certain you were booted in UEFI mode during install?

I don't see why you suggest changing to MBR. You can boot with GPT and CSM enabled, right? So there's no necessity to switch to MBR, in any case. Why do you think using MBR would help exactly?

Last edited by cfr (2017-12-04 04:07:36)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2017-12-04 04:13:41

woa12

cfr wrote:

Please provide details of your configuration e.g. partitions (output from gdisk -l or whatever), how you installed grub etc. Did you get any errors when you installed grub? Does your firmwaren's boot menu include an entry for grub? Are you absolutely certain you were booted in UEFI mode during install?

I don't see why you suggest changing to MBR. You can boot with GPT and CSM enabled, right? So there's no necessity to switch to MBR, in any case. Why do you think using MBR would help exactly?

It looks like I solved my problem. I reinstalled Arch Linux and found out that I utterly failed in reading this portion of configuring the boot loader. Instead of doing the GRUB install as it should be for a normal UEFI install, I was doing it the MBR way, a dumb mistake, but now I can boot into Arch using UEFI mode.

Board footer