You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-04 17:47:53

jskier
Website

systemd-boot efi Linux Boot Manager blank screen issue, can't boot

Hello,

I installed Arch onto an nvme drive, but I can't get it too boot with systemd-boot. I see the "Linux Boot Manager" entry, select it, and a blank screen happens for about a second and then I'm asked again to select what to boot. Arch is the only OS installed on the drive, it's basically the ESP boot partition and root (encrypted) partition.

I have a partition set to esp type (fat32 formatted), and this is mounted to /boot (per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sy … t#EFI_boot).

Initially during installation, /boot/loader/loader.conf had some ID with a wild card. I changed that to arch (and subsequently created /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf)

What does a blank screen mean? I wish there was some sort of error message. I have confirmed my arch.conf file is correct.

I ran the installer via USB ~ EFI. Note that my motherboard is older, and I have also flashed it to support booting to nvme (it's an ASROCK z77 Extreme6). Root partition is LUKS / f2fs.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help,

EDIT:

Tried installing grub, same thing. grub is listed as a boot option, but blank screen back to selection again.

Last edited by jskier (2017-12-05 03:03:24)

--
JSkier

#2 2017-12-06 02:50:49

jskier
Website

Re: systemd-boot efi Linux Boot Manager blank screen issue, can't boot

Not really fixed, but worked around it by installing the ESP on a thumb drive. It's possible NVMe booting doesn't work with the older motherboard.

--
JSkier

Board footer