You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-07 14:17:18

gbil
Member
Registered: 2013-01-23
Posts: 7

can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

Hi, I've searched quite a bit on this but I can't find any answer therefore I post it here.

some background, had to setup arch from scratch due to a drive failure but was able to salvage my homedir and /etc files so I've setup arch and then copied over the home dir and some /etc files like autofs configuration files. I made sure that the user was recreated with same user and group IDs and didn't mess with anything on the nfs server side.

the issue is that autofs properly mounts the nfs shares *but* when I access them from dolphin or nautilus I can't write on the root dir but only on subdirs.

example share server:/dir/root1/ and subdir dir2

I can write in dir2 but not in root1 even though filesystem permissions and ownerships are the same

from terminal I can write in root1 just fine!

any ideas?

Offline

#2 2017-12-07 15:48:27

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,105

Re: can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

You mean the issue is with kio_nfs and gio_nfs, but not the nfs module? (this is odd because gio_nfs depends in libnfs, but kio_nfs doesn't)
Or does "from terminal" imply "as root"?
Does nfs-cp work?
Does kioclient?

What's the output of "mount" and what are the exact commands you "from terminal" as which user?

Offline

#3 2017-12-10 17:18:35

gbil
Member
Registered: 2013-01-23
Posts: 7

Re: can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

seth wrote:

You mean the issue is with kio_nfs and gio_nfs, but not the nfs module? (this is odd because gio_nfs depends in libnfs, but kio_nfs doesn't)
Or does "from terminal" imply "as root"?

terminal means, same user from terminal not root

Does nfs-cp work?
Does kioclient?

no sure how to try those

What's the output of "mount" and what are the exact commands you "from terminal" as which user?

mount output:

server:/volume1/video on /net/server/volume1/video type nfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.200.50,mountvers=3,mountport=892,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.200.50)

the commands I use from terminal (no quotes) are the following ones

touch file
mkdir dir

nothing complicated nothing special

Last edited by gbil (2017-12-10 17:18:45)

Offline

#4 2017-12-10 21:37:43

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,105

Re: can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

man nfs-cp
kioclient --help # not sure whether it has a manpage

Do you access the nfs mount via /net/server/volume1/video or some nfs://server/volume1/video protocol in dolphin/nautilus?
What's the exact error message?

Last edited by seth (2017-12-10 21:38:03)

Offline

#5 2017-12-11 04:25:10

gbil
Member
Registered: 2013-01-23
Posts: 7

Re: can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

seth wrote:
man nfs-cp
kioclient --help # not sure whether it has a manpage

Do you access the nfs mount via /net/server/volume1/video or some nfs://server/volume1/video protocol in dolphin/nautilus?
What's the exact error message?

as I access the share as a folder alas /net/server/volume1/video thus is makes no sense to test any tool as it is handled by the file manager as a normal - or should I say it was supposed to be handled like that.

no error message I just don't get the option to write on the folder, the relevant menu items are grayed out.

Offline

#6 2017-12-11 08:10:05

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,105

Re: can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

And what do the GUI tools think about the folder permissions in detail?

Offline

#7 2017-12-11 19:24:59

gbil
Member
Registered: 2013-01-23
Posts: 7

Re: can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

seth wrote:

And what do the GUI tools think about the folder permissions in detail?

that was a good question and somehow I missed that

so from terminal the ownership looks like:
1024 users

while from dolphin look like

root root

under the root dir the ownership is the same from both the terminal and dolphin

this is really strange right?

Offline

#8 2017-12-11 21:27:13

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,105

Re: can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

Checked the permissions of the unmounted path?
Do they make a difference (assuming that path belongs to root and lacks writing permissions for others)

Offline

#9 2017-12-12 14:15:18

gbil
Member
Registered: 2013-01-23
Posts: 7

Re: can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

seth wrote:

Checked the permissions of the unmounted path?
Do they make a difference (assuming that path belongs to root and lacks writing permissions for others)

since I'm using autofs only the root dir exists before accessing the share, thus only /net exists which is root:root

then when I access the server via /net/server the relevant dir is created again with root:root and it doesn't matter if I manually create before the /net/server dir with other permissions/ownership since these are overwritten from autofs

Offline

#10 2017-12-15 14:00:06

gbil
Member
Registered: 2013-01-23
Posts: 7

Re: can't write on nfs root mounted via autofs from dolphin, nautilus

I've tested it also my just mounting the nfs share directly, same thing

tried from debian 9 same way and it works fine with Dolphin 16.08.3 , looks like a Dolphin bug probably will try to open a bug report

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB