You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-08 17:05:19

Barkester

boot-up stall-out. 3 taps (exactly) on the spacebar and continues?

Had a tick in my boot-ups for a long tme and multiple arch installations, so got used to just having to tap the spacebar exactly three times ( two will not work) every few boot ups when it went into it's brainstall mode.

The moment it happens is always the same. I choose Arch and the text starts to run and freezes at about line five and I know to hit the spacebar. It then continues. And I have waited just to see and it really does freeze. Could come back after weeks and it would just wait for those three taps.

Catch is, I got a new keyboard and now the freeze stays frozen and is forcing me to deal with the issue now. Now, I must reboot out of the freeze and its a drag. Spacebar thrice nor any other combination I've tried works with this one. Just a failed boot now.

Currently, I run mostly KDE and lightdm though I'm pretty sure I remember this quite a ways back when I used mostly gnome. Enlightenment and Plasma both do it. Box too as I remember. Lightdm has been consistantly installed.

Hoping to finally find the glitch. I get the feeling its like the music player glitch and fairly common, which would mean find unorthodox ways to deal with it ( tunes run perfect with the torrents running so now the torrent are always running when I want music. However, I never fixed the problem).

Any clues help orthodox or non. Thanks.

#2 2017-12-08 20:05:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: boot-up stall-out. 3 taps (exactly) on the spacebar and continues?

Does anything show in the journal after a failed boot?

Which bootloader (or bootmanager) are you using?

Please post the associated configuration file(s).

Will your system boot consistently without error if you set default.target to multi-user? (ie, use a TTY login)

#3 2017-12-09 02:00:18

Barkester

The default.target is foriegn to me and is gonna need a readup. I will edit here with the answers when I get them.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 2017-12-09 09:17:52

seth

and freezes at about line five

Ensure to NOT boot "quiet" and tell us what that line actually is.
Could mean unavailable root device in which case the rootdelay and rootwait kernel parameters could help, but that's just a wild guess.

Board footer