You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-08 20:15:33

WFV

[SOLVED] amdgpu or radeon?

Upgraded graphics card to an Asus Radeon RX 550. Booted up and card loaded without issue (some delay but expected) and looks like kernel auto-selected amdgpu driver for it. The old card Asus Radeon R7 240 wouldn't work with amdgpu but worked fine with radeon. It was installed a few yrs ago and at time amdgpu was new. I installed both ati and amdgpu packages back then and when amdgpu wouldn't work i uninstalled the package and added /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf per the Wiki, also set kernel module radeon.dpm=1 in grub, and in mkinitcpio.conf MODULES=(radeon) - way back when.

Question #1:
I'm thinking I don't need these settings now or perhaps keep only mkinitcpio.conf settings but change it to MODULES=(amdgpu)?
Everything so far seems to work as the kernel apparently ignored all these settings anyway even without the amdgpu package installed (the drivers are still in the system or built into the kernel)

radeontop

doesn't work, it runs but says unknown chip so all parameters sit at 0%, this might be a question for the package instead, not a show stopper, will get to it later...

radeonprofile

does work and shows the correct info.

Question #2:
Do I uninstall xf86-video-ati and install xf86-video-amdgpu now for this new card?

lspci

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Lexa PRO [Radeon RX 550] (rev c7)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device aae0

strangeness -

systool -vm radeon

shows vce=1 and journal shows vce loads successfully, no -22 or -110 errors,

systool -vm amdgpu

doesn't mention vce

Thanks

EDIT: solved by doing what asked in Q1 and re-installing the amdgpu package, rerun mkinitcpio, also replaced radeontop with radeontop-git (git finds the Polaris chip, whereas the former doesn't), still see the same info in systool but unconcerned for now.

Last edited by WFV (2017-12-08 21:11:11)

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

Board footer