You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-09 13:50:58

Euphemius

On boot, the Desktop environment(?) often does not load

Please excuse my ignorance of the proper terms. I will try to describe my problem as well as possible.

For about two months now, when I've had the problem that when I boot up my archlinux machine, on about 2 out of 3 boots, the Desktop environment (?) fails to load. What I mean is; on 'normal' boot the usual boot messages are shown up to the point when the mouse pointer appears on screen and subsequently the
plasma Desktop environment. But two out of three times, this process stops at the point when usually the mouse pointer would appear (i.e. it doesn't). By pressing Ctrl+Alt+Fx I can enter tty console x and login, but on Ctrl+Alt+F1 only the boot messages are shown.

In order to use my computer, I shut it off and reboot. Usually, the plasma Desktop environment manages to load at the third try. Then everything works like a charm, as usual.

Usually my archlinux problems are fixed with the next system update. In this case, I have already run numerous full system updates since, but the problem persists.

Note that no error messages are shown during boot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2017-12-09 14:17:57

twelveeighty

Re: On boot, the Desktop environment(?) often does not load

Sounds like either X or SDDM crashes/fails to load.

After you've had a problematic boot, switch to a tty and check the journalctl (journalctl -b -0), Xorg log (less /var/log/Xorg.0.log) and dmesg (dmesg | less). If you want to post these back to the forum once you can successfully reboot, first copy the X log so what you've captured won't be overwritten (I believe X may also preserve the previous log as /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old) and pipe the output from dmesg to a temporary location as well. You can find the relevant journalctl entries by passing in the -b flag with -1, which should be the last faulty boot before a working one.

#3 2017-12-09 14:23:07

Slithery
Administrator

twelveeighty wrote:

If you want to post these back to the forum once you can successfully reboot, first copy the X log so what you've captured won't be overwritten (I believe X may also preserve the previous log as /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old) and pipe the output from dmesg to a temporary location as well. You can find the relevant journalctl entries by passing in the -b flag with -1, which should be the last faulty boot before a working one.

Why not just upload them immediately?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2017-12-09 15:41:21

Euphemius

Thank you for your replies. SDDM was a good keyword. I found this post in the forums, and the "Early KMS start" workaround cited at the bottom helped me fix the problem.

Edit: I tried it right away, since the described problem sounded exactly like mine and the post was from the same time frame when my problem first occurred.

Last edited by Euphemius (2017-12-09 15:42:48)

#5 2017-12-09 18:06:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer