You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-11 08:44:09

gregory112

[SOLVED] Red Screen of Death on HP ProLiant DL385 G7

Hello everyone, I'm trying to install Arch in HP ProLiant DL385 Gen 7 server with 4x 1TB Harddisk arranged in RAID 5 with HP P410i Smart array controller.

I followed all the instructions for installing Arch like usual using a USB installation media.

Using RAID 5, I have 3 TB space available so I setup GPT partition disk with LVM. My /boot partition lies in /dev/sda1 which is 1GB. The rest 2~ TB is for /dev/sda2 which is the LVM consists of swap and /

I was able to run the installation smoothly even had the GRUB installed. But when I rebooted the system (unplugged my USB too), the system just hang in the screen with "Illegal Opcode" on it (also known as the red screen of death). I didn't even reach the GRUB boot selection window. After some search in Google I found that it is caused by the bootloader not found in the disk.

Also after doing some research I found that you need the cciss driver or the hpsa driver for the drive to be detected. I found out that my Arch installtion already has hpsa (newer than cciss) loaded so I could detect the drive and partition it. However, those drives are detected as a single disk (not as independent 4 disks) which I think is the nature of hardware RAID?

I installed GRUB with grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda (/dev/sdb is my USB drive) and the installation went fine (no error reported it said). I also run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg afterwards.

Can somebody help? Do I need extra setup for installing latest GRUB in a hardware RAID configuration? FYI, this HP server cannot have its RAID controller turned off so i can't do anything about it.
Google said that I have to edit the device.map or menu.lst files but those files are not created by default. Isn't menu.lst is a file from grub-legacy? What should I do now?

Last edited by gregory112 (2017-12-11 17:12:51)

Old school undergraduate
Intel i7-4770, Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, V-Gen DDR3 PC10600 8GB, ~10 old harddisks, Corsair CX600M PSU

#2 2017-12-11 09:16:09

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Red Screen of Death on HP ProLiant DL385 G7

Please edit your title and remove the unnecessary "URGENT" buzzword.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

You say you created a GPT partition table, but made no mention of the 1MiB BIOS Boot partition that grub requires for this setup. Did you rememebr to create one?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … structions

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2017-12-11 17:12:20

gregory112

Re: [SOLVED] Red Screen of Death on HP ProLiant DL385 G7

OH MY, well I think I forgot to do that. I did many arch installations once using MBR + BIOS or GPT + UEFI setups. Installing GRUB directly to a disk like /dev/sda is for MBR isn't it and UEFI setup needs a separate efi partition (which I tend to make it 1GiB). In this case, I made a /boot partition (which was /dev/sda1) with 1 GiB in size and marked it BIOS boot using cfdisk.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time before I had tried this solution and I don't have physical access to it anymore so I can't try this solution. I was able to install other linux distro however (I gave up installing Arch) and managed to set up ssh before so I think I will mark this problem as solved (?)

Anyway, thank you very much. I will try this solution probably later if I have a chance to set this kind of server again.

Last edited by gregory112 (2017-12-11 17:14:24)

Old school undergraduate
Intel i7-4770, Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, V-Gen DDR3 PC10600 8GB, ~10 old harddisks, Corsair CX600M PSU

Board footer