You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-16 18:46:57

n00body

Network keeps failing after recent kernel upgrade

I upgraded my kernel this morning to the newest version of 2.6.17, and as soon as I rebooted the Network started saying FAIL each time. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem?

Side note :
I remembered that I had also modified the inittab to use gdm before I rebooted. Would that have any kind of effect?

Arch = Debian + Gentoo + Bleeding edge software - annoyances. wink

#2 2006-07-16 21:28:38

patroclo7

Re: Network keeps failing after recent kernel upgrade

I do not think that gdm is involved.
You ahould tell us which module support yout lan card, if it is loaded,if you tried to load it by hand, etc

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#3 2006-07-16 23:27:37

n00body

I haven't messed with any modules or attempted any manual loading as of yet. Now, however, it's showing odd behavior by working some times when I restart, and failing on other times, seemingly at random. I'm incredibly new to commandline network handling, so I'm severely confused at this point. sad

Arch = Debian + Gentoo + Bleeding edge software - annoyances. wink

#4 2006-07-17 00:50:37

Titus
Website

if i were you i would check my /etc/rc.conf file for modules and Daemons part. in modules is your ethernet card exist? or in daemons part network exists?

In a world without walls,who need windows?

#5 2006-07-17 13:12:55

jaboua

I've had that problem as well. It's because the modular kernels load the modules at the same time, and because of that which module is initialized first isn't the same at every boot. So the names eth0, eth1 and eth2 for example may change at next boot. Even if you have only one network card, the ethernet over firewire module might be loaded. I solved it by setting eth0, eth1 and eth2 to dhcp, starting them all at boot and starting network in the background (to prevent wating for the two devices that won't start). To find out what devicenames are used, do a "ifconfig -a"

IIRC there is another solution too - you can search through the forums for it.

ATM I'm running a custom kernel with all the network modules built-in - that way the network device names are the same at every boot.

Board footer