You are not logged in.
I have this little problem, i can't get icons in the root menu (right click on the desktop) of Openbox
The Openbox Wiki says that the following must be on ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml in the menu section:
applicationIcons Whether to show window icons in the Desktop and Windows menus (client-list-menu and client-list-combined-menu).
The Arch wiki says the same.
My rc.xml
<!-- default menu file (or custom one in $HOME/.config/openbox/) -->
<file>menu.xml</file>
<hideDelay>200</hideDelay>
<!-- if a press-release lasts longer than this setting (in milliseconds), the
menu is hidden again -->
<middle>no</middle>
<!-- center submenus vertically about the parent entry -->
<submenuShowDelay>100</submenuShowDelay>
<!-- time to delay before showing a submenu after hovering over the parent
entry.
if this is a negative value, then the delay is infinite and the
submenu will not be shown until it is clicked on -->
<submenuHideDelay>80</submenuHideDelay>
<!-- time to delay before hiding a submenu when selecting another
entry in parent menu
if this is a negative value, then the delay is infinite and the
submenu will not be hidden until a different submenu is opened -->
<showIcons>yes</showIcons>
<!-- controls if icons appear in the client-list-(combined-)menu -->
<manageDesktops>no</manageDesktops>
<!-- show the manage desktops section in the client-list-(combined-)menu -->
</menu>I put <applicationIcons>yes</applicationIcons> under <showIcons>yes</showIcons> but don't work.
I understand that this is for the client-list-combined-menu (middle click on the desktop), as the commented line above says, if i put no the icons in the client-list-combined-menu doesn't show...
Always reconfigure openbox when i made a change.
This is part of my menu.xml
<menu id="apps-accessories-menu" label="Accessories" icon="/usr/share/icons/Papirus/48x48/categories/applications-accessories.svg">
<item label="Calc">
<icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/bleachbit.png">
<action name="Execute">
<command>urxvt -geometry 120x30 -title Calc -e calc</command>
<startupnotify>
<enabled>no</enabled>
</startupnotify>
</action>
</item>I tried both extensions .png and .svg, and none worked (bleachbit icon just for testing
)
imlib2 and librsvg are installed in my system...
My system also is up-to-date.
Any help is welcome.
Thanks.
Offline
In menu.xml, have you tried:
<item label="Calc" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/bleachbit.png">Offline
I am confused, as you seem to have answered your own question... twice.
applicationIcons Whether to show window icons in the Desktop and Windows menus (client-list-menu and client-list-combined-menu).
I understand that this is for the client-list-combined-menu (middle click on the desktop), as the commented line above says...
Last I checked, icons were not available for root-menu.
Offline
In menu.xml, have you tried:
<item label="Calc" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/bleachbit.png">
Yes! it works but only for the items inside a submenu, no icons in the submenus ![]()
I am confused, as you seem to have answered your own question... twice.
applicationIcons Whether to show window icons in the Desktop and Windows menus (client-list-menu and client-list-combined-menu).
I understand that this is for the client-list-combined-menu (middle click on the desktop), as the commented line above says...
Last I checked, icons were not available for root-menu.
Openbox support icons in the root-menu

Thanks for the help!
Offline
That's good to know. Thank you for the screenshot.
Offline