You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-20 10:02:59

sigvald

Mouse button releases sporadically while dragging

Dear community,

I've installed Arch Linux with Gnome 3 on a Dell Latitude 7480 with touch screen and a pretty standard wireless mouse (Logitech Anywhere MX).

This works mostly fine, but when I'm dragging something (for instance marking text in an editor) the mouse button appears to sporadically release (and trigger again) such that it is very hard to mark the correct piece of text.
It appears to be similar to what's described in this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=210785

I'm suspecting that somehow my touch screen may interfere with my mouse. Does anyone have any good advise to how I should go about to troubleshoot this?
Preferably both should work, but if necessary, I will do without the touch screen.

Kind regards!

#2 2017-12-20 15:49:42

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Mouse button releases sporadically while dragging

I would double check that the mouse is working fine first and then go from there. It is not uncommon for well used mice to start to have problems registering button clicks.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2017-12-20 18:07:38

seth

libinput should have a (hardcoded) bouncing filter - and a bug to mess up event orders.
Is this gnome on wayland or xorg? Does it happen on the other display server as well?
You can easily disable input devices on xorg using "xinput", for wayland you'll need support by the compositor (mutter - some gnome settings)

#4 2017-12-21 11:58:56

sigvald

@R00KIE: The mouse worked just fine on my last computer and then suddenly started doing this on my new computer, so I doubt that's the issue. Anyway, I'll try using the touchpad now and then and we'll see if the touchpad has the same error.

@seth: It's Wayland (I think that's default for Gnome 3 nowadays?). I haven't tried Xorg but I'll look into that, as well as how to turn off input devices through the compositor.

By the way, I'm not sure it's equally bad all the time. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I'll try to look for a pattern. Sometimes it mistakes single clicks for double clicks. I suppose that supports the theory about some bug in the bouncing filter.

#5 2018-01-02 10:47:39

sigvald

Happy new year!

Simply switching to Xorg from the login manager did not work. However, disabling the touchscreen in Xorg fixed the problem (didn't look into Wayland any further). I do not consider this a complete solution since preferrably both the mouse and the touchscreen should work, but at least it's a partial solution that works for those of us who doesn't really need the touchscreen.

Others facing the same problem might be interested in knowing that I turned off the display by creating a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-no-touchscreen.conf containing

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier          "Touchscreen catchall"
    MatchIsTouchscreen  "on"
    Option              "Ignore"    "on"
EndSection

following a description on https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … -my-laptop.

Kind regards.

#6 2018-01-02 12:37:02

sigvald

Apparently I was too quick. This did not solve my problem. It just momentarily seemed to.

#7 2018-01-02 13:07:02

seth

Use "xinput test" to monitor your mouse and touchscreen and to see what kind of event causes the release.
Also try xf86-input-evdev to see whether this only happens with libinput (event order bug)

Board footer