You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-25 06:45:41

fettouhi
Member
Registered: 2007-05-07
Posts: 778

Launching Discord or Steam causes KDE to freeze

As the title says over the last few months I have been having increasingly problems with my KDE desktop freezing when I launch either discord or Steam. The whole desktop seems to lock up but the mounse pointer can still be moved and I can switch to different tty and do a

systemctl reboot

sometimes I can launch them and the desktop doesn't but I get a notification sayinmg that the desktop effects have restarted due to a graphics reset. Anybody else having this issue? I am using a Nvidia 1080 GTX card with propriatary driver.

Offline

#2 2017-12-25 09:36:48

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,075

Re: Launching Discord or Steam causes KDE to freeze

Compositor?
Try SHIFT+Alt+F12 to toggle it off before running discord or steam.

Offline

#3 2017-12-25 10:02:59

WorMzy
Administrator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 13,668
Website

Re: Launching Discord or Steam causes KDE to freeze


Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Offline

#4 2017-12-25 13:06:48

fettouhi
Member
Registered: 2007-05-07
Posts: 778

Re: Launching Discord or Steam causes KDE to freeze

seth wrote:

Compositor?
Try SHIFT+Alt+F12 to toggle it off before running discord or steam.

Tried that and the desktop freezes when I turn it back on.

Offline

#5 2017-12-25 13:10:55

fettouhi
Member
Registered: 2007-05-07
Posts: 778

Re: Launching Discord or Steam causes KDE to freeze

Yep, that seems to be the issue I am having. Haven't checked dmesg to see if I have that error.

Offline

#6 2017-12-25 18:17:04

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,075

Re: Launching Discord or Steam causes KDE to freeze

The test was basically whether it would happen also without the compositor, which does not seem to be the case.
Thus compositor related.
As a workaround you could probably setup a window rule that blocks compositing for certain windows (resp. there's also some kwin script that does similar)

Offline

#7 2017-12-28 15:38:26

ganthore
Member
Registered: 2017-12-28
Posts: 5

Re: Launching Discord or Steam causes KDE to freeze

I tried using window rules but the compositor still manages to freeze before the rule has a chance to apply. As a workaround, I wrote this small toggle script that will quickly disable/enable the compositor when invoked:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
if $( qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor active ) = true; then
        qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor suspend
else
        qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor resume
fi

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB