You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-26 08:32:25

naraesk
Member
Registered: 2016-10-11
Posts: 25

New chromium launcher?

Hello,

in the past the chromium package used to have a perl script in /usr/bin/chromium that started the executable /usr/lib/chromium/chromium with some flags. I wrote a customized launcher script in /usr/local/bin/chromium and used it quite a while. With the update to version 63 of chromium the perl script seems to be gone, the file /usr/bin/chromium is now an executable file. So the old perl script is not needed anymore and I just have to call /usr/bin/chromium instead of /usr/lib/chromium/chromium in my script? Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Offline

#2 2017-12-26 12:43:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: New chromium launcher?

Does anyone here know how your own customized script different from a packaged script?  No.

Is the perl script that is no longer distributed with chrome still needed?  No.

Will you still need a script to pass your own custom flags to chromium?  Probably, but you've not told us anything about what those customizations.


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2017-12-26 15:17:01

R00KIE
Forum Fellow
From: Between a computer and a chair
Registered: 2008-09-14
Posts: 4,734

Re: New chromium launcher?

You can use ~/.config/chromium-flags.conf for any custom flags/parameters. I suppose the must be a system-wide configuration file that can achieve the same purpose.

Edit:
I tried checking with strace and it seems it only tries to open ~/.config/chromium-flags.conf so this is a per user configuration file. Also see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch … persistent

Last edited by R00KIE (2017-12-26 15:24:39)


R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Offline

#4 2017-12-26 17:13:26

naraesk
Member
Registered: 2016-10-11
Posts: 25

Re: New chromium launcher?

Trilby wrote:

Is the perl script that is no longer distributed with chrome still needed?  No.

Thanks.

Trilby wrote:

Will you still need a script to pass your own custom flags to chromium?  Probably, but you've not told us anything about what those customizations.

You seem a bit offended that you could not answer this question. I'm sorry about that. But this question was not the purpose of my post since I'm pretty sure I still need a custom script. Just want to ensure that I have not missed anything. Would have been possible that there is a new mechanism I'm not aware of.

You can use ~/.config/chromium-flags.conf for any custom flags/parameters. I suppose the must be a system-wide configuration file that can achieve the same purpose.

Unfortunately this will not work in my case. My custom scripts passes flags to chromium depending on the current KDE activity. I have a separate chromium profile for every KDE activity.

Just a useful hint for someone with a similar problem:
After the update I had some problems with KDE. The pinned launcher always started /usr/bin/chromium, same when opening chromium by clicking a link, e.g. within an email. In the KDE systemsettings I explicitly had to set /usr/local/bin/chromium as default browser instead of just chromium. Now everythings works as before, although chromium is complaining about not being the default browser, since it only checkes for /usr/bin/chromium. But that's not a really a problem. :-)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB