You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-26 14:24:11

aardwolf

After removing headphones from front, speaker volume set to 0

Hello,

I have speakers connected to the line out on the rear of my motherboard.

I also have a front jack in my PC case, to which I sometimes connect headphones.

The desired behavior is: If no headphones plugged in front, them the main speakers plugged in rear of motherboard work. If headphones plugged in front, then they take over and the rear speakers get muted. If I then remove the front headphones again, the main speakers play again.

Actual behavior: If I remove the front headphones, the volume of the main speakers is set to zero. This is due to a slider called "Headphone" in alsamixer that gets reset to zero.

Probably the slider for the speakers is labeled "headphone" because the line out plug of the motherboard has amp and can detect whether something is plugged into it or not, something that is sometimes only supported by the front headphone jack, but so in this motherboard it's for both. The motherboard is: "Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7"

One more thing, there is also listed for my system: "HDMI displayport 2" audio from Nvidia that I don't want to use, and "Digital Output (S/PDIF) Built-in audio" which I also don't use. That what I do use is called "Line Out Built-in Audio" and becomes automatically renamed to "Headphones" if I plugin front headphones. These names come from the Sound dialog of Cinnamon.

Is there any configuration I can do to pulseaudio, or alsamixer, or something else, to get my desired behavior?

Thanks!

P.S. link to screenshot illustrating the problem: https://imgur.com/aY9iqT9

Last edited by aardwolf (2017-12-26 16:08:30)

#2 2017-12-26 15:11:45

aardwolf

Re: After removing headphones from front, speaker volume set to 0

Update:

I managed to make it work for me with following workaround:

-installed hdajackretask, which is part of the pacman package "alsa-tools"
-in hdajackretask, for the HDA intel audio:
-reassigned "rear blue line in" to become "line out"
-reassigned "green line out" to "not connected", because, the mere existense of this rear line out (the fact that it has plugged-in detection, and maybe its amp) still confused alsa and/or pulseaudio and made it so that when using the other jack, the "line out" device did not exist for it.
-used "install boot override" and rebooted

now I can plugin and remove front headphones, and it correctly switches between outputting to speakers, headphones, and back, as many times as I like and keeps the volumes smile

Still not ideal though. Ideally I would want to use the correctly intended jack of my motherboard, not have to use such boot override workaround, and pluseaudio/alsa should not get confused by having both the front and rear line out jack of your motherboard support "plugged-in" detection and amp...

Because that is what it's all about I think: pulseaudio and/or alsa have some bug when your rear line out has those features, which I've never seen before on a motherboard but this new one here has it.

Last edited by aardwolf (2017-12-26 15:13:39)

#3 2017-12-26 15:41:02

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Please edit your post and remove the large image[1]. Post a thumbnail and host the image in an image hosting website of your choice.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2017-12-26 16:09:06

aardwolf

Done, made link to imgur

Board footer