You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-31 00:41:43

EFarmer

[SOLVED] Virtualbox does not start because of the kernel driver

Hello and happy new year eve!

I have a problem with Virtualbox, which doesn't start when I try to run my new virtual machine I created. When I try to execute my new virtual machine, it shows up the following error message:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. 

I have no idea why it happens. Also, I have compiled and installed linux mainline kernel 4.15.0-rc5 from AUR.

`uname -a`:

Linux asus 4.15.0-rc5-mainline #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 30 23:25:55 CET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

After I compiled it, I installed the headers of the kernel too. I also have noticed a weird error message: "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules" when I boot Arch. Why does this happen?

Thank you,

Last edited by EFarmer (2017-12-31 01:37:41)

#2 2017-12-31 00:54:19

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Virtualbox does not start because of the kernel driver

My best guess is that you will need to (re)compile the virtualbox kernel modules for linux 4.15.0-rc5. What's the output of 'pacman -Qs virtualbox-host'?

This is not an installation problem, moving to NC.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2017-12-31 00:57:07

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Why do you need the 4.15 kernel? (I am always curious when people use a different kernel). Does virtualbox work with the mainline kernel?

#4 2017-12-31 00:57:13

EFarmer

R00KIE wrote:

My best guess is that you will need to (re)compile the virtualbox kernel modules for linux 4.15.0-rc5. What's the output of 'pacman -Qs virtualbox-host'?

This is not an installation problem, moving to NC.

Yup, sorry, thanks for moving it.

~ $ pacman -Qs virtualbox-host
local/virtualbox-host-dkms 5.2.4-1
    VirtualBox Host kernel modules sources

How do I (re)compile the virtualbox kernel modules for linux 4.15.0-rc5?

#5 2017-12-31 00:57:49

EFarmer

2ManyDogs wrote:

Why do you need the 4.15 kernel? (I am always curious when people use a different kernel). Does virtualbox work with the mainline kernel?

I need it because finally this branch of kernel supports my laptop without patches.

#6 2017-12-31 01:09:07

loqs

You are using the dkms package so it should have automatically attempted to rebuild for 4.15 assuming you installed the header package as well.
If you have not installed the header package do that.  If you had it installed then the build for 4.15 probably failed find the build log to see what needs patching
most likely the removed timer functions.
Edit:
4.15 not 1.15
Edit2:
Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support#Rebuild_modules if you need to force a rebuild.
Edit3:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1752961 patch I did for an earlier build only build tested.
Alternative patch covering more modules https://www.virtualbox.org/pipermail/vb … 14885.html

Last edited by loqs (2017-12-31 01:24:56)

#7 2017-12-31 01:24:51

EFarmer

loqs wrote:

You are using the dkms package so it should have automatically attempted to rebuild for 4.15 assuming you installed the header package as well.
If you have not installed the header package do that.  If you had it installed then the build for 4.15 probably failed find the build log to see what needs patching
most likely the removed timer functions.
Edit:
4.15 not 1.15
Edit2:
Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support#Rebuild_modules if you need to force a rebuild.

~ $ sudo dkms autoinstall

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area...
make -j8 KERNELRELEASE=4.15.0-rc5-mainline -C /usr/lib/modules/4.15.0-rc5-mainline/build M=/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build....(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.15.0-rc5-mainline (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/make.log for more information.

`cat /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/make.log`:

DKMS make.log for vboxhost-5.2.4_OSE for kernel 4.15.0-rc5-mainline (x86_64)
dom 31 dic 2017, 02.23.42, CET
make: ingresso nella directory "/usr/lib/modules/4.15.0-rc5-mainline/build"
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/linux/VBoxNetFlt-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxpci/linux/VBoxPci-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxnetadp/linux/VBoxNetAdp-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/VBoxNetFlt.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxpci/VBoxPci.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxnetadp/VBoxNetAdp.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/SUPR0IdcClient.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrv.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrvGip.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/SUPR0IdcClientComponent.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrvSem.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxpci/SUPR0IdcClient.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrvTracer.o
  LD [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxnetadp/vboxnetadp.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/SUPLibAll.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxpci/SUPR0IdcClientComponent.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxpci/linux/SUPR0IdcClient-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/alloc-r0drv.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/linux/SUPR0IdcClient-linux.o
  LD [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxpci/vboxpci.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/initterm-r0drv.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/memobj-r0drv.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/mpnotification-r0drv.o
  LD [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/powernotification-r0drv.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/assert-r0drv-linux.o
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrvTracer.o: warning: objtool: .text+0x0: unreachable instruction
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/initterm-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/memuserkernel-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/mpnotification-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/process-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/rtStrFormatKernelAddress-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/semevent-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/semeventmulti-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/semmutex-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/spinlock-r0drv-linux.o
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/memuserkernel-r0drv-linux.o: warning: objtool: .fixup: unexpected end of section
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/thread-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/thread2-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/threadctxhooks-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/time-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/generic/semspinmutex-r0drv-generic.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/common/alloc/alloc.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/common/checksum/crc32.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/common/checksum/ipv4.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/common/checksum/ipv6.o
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxHost_RTTimerCreateEx’:
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c:1588:13: error: implicit declaration of function ‘init_timer_pinned’; did you mean ‘init_timer_key’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
             init_timer_pinned(&pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu].u.Std.LnxTimer);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
             init_timer_key
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c:1592:52: error: ‘struct timer_list’ has no member named ‘data’
             pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu].u.Std.LnxTimer.data        = (unsigned long)&pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu];
                                                    ^
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c:1593:65: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
             pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu].u.Std.LnxTimer.function    = rtTimerLinuxStdCallback;
                                                                 ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:310: /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Attesa per i processi non terminati....
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:569: /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build/vboxdrv] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:1502: _module_/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build] Error 2
make: uscita dalla directory "/usr/lib/modules/4.15.0-rc5-mainline/build"

What do I need to patch? The kernel or the module?

Last edited by EFarmer (2017-12-31 01:26:08)

#8 2017-12-31 01:32:35

loqs

The module you need to either rebuild the virtualbox-host-dkms package or as a dirty hack assuming you are using my patch and it was called virtual-box.4.15.patch

$ sudo patch -p1 -i virtual-box.4.15.patch -d /usr/src/vboxhost-5.2.4_OSE/

#9 2017-12-31 01:37:13

EFarmer

loqs wrote:

The module you need to either rebuild the virtualbox-host-dkms package or as a dirty hack assuming you are using my patch and it was called virtual-box.4.15.patch

$ sudo patch -p1 -i virtual-box.4.15.patch -d /usr/src/vboxhost-5.2.4_OSE/

I solved!

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area...
make -j8 KERNELRELEASE=4.15.0-rc5-mainline -C /usr/lib/modules/4.15.0-rc5-mainline/build M=/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.4_OSE/build.....
cleaning build area...
Kernel cleanup unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

DKMS: build completed.

vboxdrv.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
 - Original module
   - No original module exists within this kernel
 - Installation
   - Installing to /usr/lib/modules/4.15.0-rc5-mainline/kernel/misc/

vboxnetflt.ko:
 - Original module
 - Installation

vboxnetadp.ko:
 - Original module
 - Installation

vboxpci.ko:
 - Original module
 - Installation

depmod...

DKMS: install completed.

and then I did a simple:

~ $ sudo modprobe vboxdrv

Thank you m8 and have a nice new year eve!

Board footer