You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-18 08:46:53

funkyou
Website

kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

Forums: http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/bbs/

Bug Tracker:  http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/bugs/

This thread has become too massive... Please discuss at our forums (link above)

Last edited by funkyou (2007-07-02 21:31:51)

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#2 2006-07-18 09:01:26

arooaroo
Website

Re: kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

That's great stuff. I'd be interested in trying, although I would need to enable to laptop stuff.

Still, get this in the AUR!

#3 2006-07-18 10:23:36

postlogic
Website

I'd be interested in this, as well as perhaps the removed packages available as their own packages?

One of the main reasons I don't use KDE is the fact that it holds WAY too many apps. Too bad, cause it's such a nice system. This is a good initiative!

#4 2006-07-18 15:02:05

jaboua

postlogic wrote:

I'd be interested in this, as well as perhaps the removed packages available as their own packages?

One of the main reasons I don't use KDE is the fact that it holds WAY too many apps. Too bad, cause it's such a nice system. This is a good initiative!

Ditto!

#5 2006-07-18 16:28:13

funkyou
Website

I have some clues to upload this to AUR, because

1. The PKGBUILDs use one extra variable, so this would not meet the packaging standards. Maybe one of you guys know a solution to this. Btw: The extra variable is used in the official KDE PKGBUILDs too...
2. The overall complexity would be raised. Imagine these packages uploaded to AUR, and then imagine an user who must a) search all the appropiate packages, and b) build them in a specific order. (Maybe something like folders or groups in AUR would be a nice idea)

So, whats your opinion about this...? Just imagine the AUR flooded with these packages, wouldnt it be a bit irritating?

It would be no problem for me to maintain this, as i always compile KDE for myself when a new version comes out. So i just can upload my PKGBUILDs...

I have now built single packages for laptop support and kontact too. They need the corresponding base packages. So if you want to install laptop support, you need to install kdeutils first, because klaptop is a part of kdeutils... The whole thing is not really 100% modular and splitted, because that would be too hard to maintain and way too complex i think. Its just the official KDE packages stripped down, and everything that has been removed can be in a separate package.

I have just uploaded a fresh kde-mod.tar.gz with the PKGBUILDs inside.

If anyone wants to test this, i have created a small repo with the packages too. Just add this to your /etc/pacman.conf:

[kde-mod]
Server = http://funkyou.hinterhof-hosting.de/arch/kde-mod

To install this, you have to uninstall your KDE and QT installations at first with packman -Rd <package>...

Then you can install the kde-mod packages either by typing pacman -S kde-mod (this will install all packages), or by installing the packages manually. Be sure to install qt-mod at first when you do it the second way... ATM there is only kde-i18n-de for language support, so if you need another localization, just use the standard arch packages, this is no problem at all. Or look into the kde-i18n-de PKGBUILD and build one for yourself and ideally post it here.

To install the laptop support or kontact:
pacman -S kdepim-mod-kontact
pacman -S kdeutils-mod-klaptopdaemon

Btw: Is the naming convention ok? Theyre a bit long, but i think its a quite logical attempt...

The kontact pkg has a small error, but this will be resolved with the next build: The kdepim-mod dependency is missing...

It would be nice if you build the packages you want for yourself. I am using a very simple way to build the extra apps, dont know if its ok but it works, just look into the kontact PKGBUILD to see what i am meaning...

Please report any problems if you try this... I am using this installation now, and had no problems until now, but maybe there are some of them...

#6 2006-07-18 16:36:38

NeOnsKuLL

Great job!!! Congrats!! But I think it's more important to create PKGBUILD's for have independient kde apps packages. If Arch can do it, Arch will be the perfect distro. The mantainers can't do this, because it's a time consuming work, but I think (again) that is a one time job, just create the PKGBUILD's, and later enjoy a clean and ligthweight enviroment. If I need kmix (for example), I must install the kdemultimedia package (9.8Mb), just for control the volume.

Maybe I don't explain myself clearly, I'm not en english user, I'm cuban, sorry.

See you

NeOnsKuLL

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz | 2x1GB 667MHz | 250+750GB Seageate SATAII | Samsung 19" TFT 1440x900
Openbox + obmenugen + PyTyle | bmpanel2 | oblogout | conky | pyBgSetter (with Esetroot as backend)
Projects: obmenugen, pyBgSetter

#7 2006-07-18 18:04:27

funkyou
Website

Thx, and i had no problem to understand you
my english isnt very good too smile

If I need kmix (for example), I must install the kdemultimedia package (9.8Mb), just for control the volume.

Well, you can split kde up into about 300 packages if you want to... But thats only maintainable with a lot of manpower... So, if you look at my attempt, you can see that kdemultimedia ist only 5.7mb in size and it contains only the following apps: artsbuilder, artscontrol, kaudiocreator, kmid, kmix, krec, kscd and some helper scripts... And i think its a good selection, so you have everything you need like cd-ripping, cd-playing, mixer functionality, and a recorder -> the minimal audio environment suitable for most users... Nobody needs 3 audio players installed at the same time, and there are fairly better alternatives around than these provided with the kdemultimedia package, so they and some other stuff is removed...

that is a one time job, just create the PKGBUILD's, and later enjoy a clean and ligthweight enviroment.

Its no onetime job because the packages must be updated when a new KDE version comes out... And now think about updating 300 packages or so wink

#8 2006-07-19 17:58:12

NeOnsKuLL

It's no onetime job because the packages must be updated when a new KDE version comes out... And now think about updating 300 packages or so

You've right, it's not a onetime job, but, except for the first time, I think (just think, I really don't know) dont require a big effort. I repeat myself, I just think. Somebody knows how the debian and gentoo developers do ti?

See you

NeOnsKuLL

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz | 2x1GB 667MHz | 250+750GB Seageate SATAII | Samsung 19" TFT 1440x900
Openbox + obmenugen + PyTyle | bmpanel2 | oblogout | conky | pyBgSetter (with Esetroot as backend)
Projects: obmenugen, pyBgSetter

#9 2006-07-19 18:29:25

Kermit

Great job and idea smile I'll test it on my scrap.

@NeOnsKuLL -> you have good idea too, but if we want make it we must do it by ourselves. Devs have other problems to solve. And we don't have to make 300 pkgs smile We can ask users what they want have in the AUR smile

Sorry for my bad English.

Kermit.

#10 2006-07-20 02:41:09

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

funkyou wrote:

I have some clues to upload this to AUR, because

1. The PKGBUILDs use one extra variable, so this would not meet the packaging standards. Maybe one of you guys know a solution to this. Btw: The extra variable is used in the official KDE PKGBUILDs too...

As you're following the official PKGBUILD, I wouldn't mind the extra variables.

funkyou wrote:

2. The overall complexity would be raised. Imagine these packages uploaded to AUR, and then imagine an user who must a) search all the appropiate packages, and b) build them in a specific order. (Maybe something like folders or groups in AUR would be a nice idea)

So, whats your opinion about this...? Just imagine the AUR flooded with these packages, wouldnt it be a bit irritating?

funkyou wrote:

The whole thing is not really 100% modular and splitted, because that would be too hard to maintain and way too complex i think. Its just the official KDE packages stripped down, and everything that has been removed can be in a separate package.

I agree that the AUR is not the best way to handle projects like KDE that involves multiple PKGBUILDs.

Another user has started a splitted kde project. He has only uploaded one PKGBUILD to AUR yet (kdeutils-kcalc). There's also kdeless which somewhat goes along your idea but on a lesser scale.

You can submit your PKGBUILD to AUR.  However, even if there was positive feedback in this thread, I'm not too sure how useful they are (no offence smile ). As I understand it, you removed the apps that you were not using. Other users might want the apps you removed and/or want to remove apps you kept in the packages so they'll need to change the PKGBUILD. So there is no more advantage of using your PKGBUILD instead of the official ones apart from the patch that you applied.  In the case that  you almost removed everything, then they can just make PKGBUILD for the stuff they want. Then your PKGBUILD is basically a "base" to build a custom KDE and has some utility.
BTW, I haven't try your packages and haven't checked your PKGBUILD so I might have missed something.

NeOnsKuLL: Debian and gentoo have several hundreds devs while Arch only has about 20 (plus ~20 TU) so they can do more work. The reason Arch doesn't have splitted-kde is simply that it would be too much work maintaining these packages.

#11 2006-07-25 14:52:49

funkyou
Website

You can submit your PKGBUILD to AUR. However, even if there was positive feedback in this thread, I'm not too sure how useful they are (no offence  ). As I understand it, you removed the apps that you were not using.

Thats right, i simply removed all the apps i do not need. Mostly because i use other apps with better functionality and/or speed.

Other users might want the apps you removed and/or want to remove apps you kept in the packages so they'll need to change the PKGBUILD. So there is no more advantage of using your PKGBUILD instead of the official ones apart from the patch that you applied.

Thats right too, and its another reason for me to not upload these packages to AUR.

So there is no more advantage of using your PKGBUILD instead of the official ones apart from the patch that you applied.

Maybe there are users who like it smile Thats the only reason i posted it here. I think i will send these patches to the package maintainer of KDE, they are very nice and they are updated regulary, so it would not be too complex or time consuming to include them.

In the case that you almost removed everything, then they can just make PKGBUILD for the stuff they want. Then your PKGBUILD is basically a "base" to build a custom KDE and has some utility.

This would be simply too hard for me. Its just my "personalized" KDE and i do not want to spent many hours with updating everything when there is a new KDE version.

Well, i have to say thx for all the feedback here. I think when i have some time, i will make a small page for this. The repo will stay online for everyone whos interested, and it will be updated by me whenever a new KDE version is released.

#12 2006-08-14 05:44:44

Galdona

Great, thanks for this! (3.5.4 is out, though... smile )

#13 2006-08-14 10:53:26

funkyou
Website

Thx smile I have KDE 3.5.4 already built, but had no time to upload it to the repo yet. This will happen by the end of this week...

#14 2006-08-15 14:40:05

funkyou
Website

Updated to KDE 3.5.4...
Just do a "pacman -Suy" and it will be updated...

For a fresh install, do this:

1. Remove your existing KDE and QT installation (pacman -Rd <package>)

2. Add this Repo to your /etc/pacman.conf

[kde-mod] 
Server = http://funkyou.hinterhof-hosting.de/arch/kde-mod

3. After "pacman -Suy" do a "pacman -S kde-mod" to install

4. You have to install the translations seperately... Currently there are the following i18n-packages available:
kde-i18n-de-mod
kde-i18n-en_gb-mod
kde-i18n-zh_tw-mod

5. For laptop support, just install kdeutils-mod-klaptopdaemon

6. If you need kontact, just install kdepim-mod-kontact

PKGBUILDs are here but beware, they are a little bit unclean. This will be fixed with the next KDE release... If you need to build some additional KDE apps, just look into the kdepim-mod-kontact PKGBUILD, its pretty easy...

If there are errors or bugs, please tell me....

Thx

#15 2006-08-15 18:29:10

sweiss

I'd use the full-blown KDE since I'm using a lot of the applications which were stripped down.

However, keep up the good work. Also, I was wondering as to what kind of eyecandy these unofficial patches provide.

Can you provide a brief explanation?

Thanks.

#16 2006-08-15 19:45:25

funkyou
Website

Thx.

The patches provide the following additional eyecandy:
- a translucent selection rectangle (like in gnome)
- rounded icon titles when icons are selected
- an improved konqueror sidebar
- the konqueror sidebar will be saved per profile
- a smooth logout fade effect

I'm currently building in some more patches including:
- a patch that allows to change the icon for the kmenu
- a patch that allows to search kmenu for a specific app
- a patch to add the ability to open a new tab in konqueror that opens the default home page instead of a blank page.

I have found most of these patches "in the wild", but now there is a gentoo project collecting all of them and modifying them for the latest KDE releases... This makes it a lot easier for me :-)

#17 2006-08-15 21:36:53

jaboua

funkyou wrote:

Is this the same rounded title as used in kubuntu 5.10? In that case it's aliased and ugly...

If it's smooth like gnome's it's probably good though.

#18 2006-08-15 22:09:13

funkyou
Website

jaboua wrote:
funkyou wrote:

Is this the same rounded title as used in kubuntu 5.10? In that case it's aliased and ugly...

If it's smooth like gnome's it's probably good though.

I dont know the rounded titles in kubuntu, but heres a picture:
rounded.jpg

#19 2006-08-15 22:52:28

jaboua

Yeah I think it's like in kubuntu...

#20 2006-08-17 04:35:24

Galdona

it looks like the latest kdebase-mod is corrupted; Ive downloaded it twice. The pkg.tar.gz file cant even be opened by Ark.

#21 2006-08-17 13:41:49

funkyou
Website

fixed kdebase-mod

thx

#22 2006-08-19 06:53:19

Simastrick

I tried your packges, and I just want to report that while i had kde-mod and qt-mod installed, my gtk programs had aliased fonts. I just now reverted to the 'official' arch kde and qt pkgs, and now gtk fonts are antialiased. I have been using the clearlooks gtk engine. (however, I did not install kdeutils-mod and kdegraphics-mod)

#23 2006-08-19 15:40:24

funkyou
Website

Simastrick wrote:

I tried your packges, and I just want to report that while i had kde-mod and qt-mod installed, my gtk programs had aliased fonts. I just now reverted to the 'official' arch kde and qt pkgs, and now gtk fonts are antialiased. I have been using the clearlooks gtk engine. (however, I did not install kdeutils-mod and kdegraphics-mod)

I can not reproduce this. All GTK1 and GTK2 apps have antialiased fonts here, so i think it is something about your config... Maybe you have to fiddle a bit around with your gtk-qt-engine...

IMHO KDE does not affect the font rendering of GTK-apps, except when you use the gtk-qt-engine and assign your QT-theme to GTK...

#24 2006-08-19 21:27:26

Janitux
Website

maybe an idea should be add kde-i18n-es big_smile
nice work btw

#25 2006-09-07 08:58:54

funkyou
Website

Update