You are not logged in.

#251 2007-01-29 20:51:19

funkyou
Website

Re: kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

tafsen wrote:

I restarted now, and the problem with kwrite seems to be ok.

btw, what packages is Kmixer in? My sound disapeared after the update.

And how do I enable the baghira plugin for konqueror?

Good smile
Kmixer is in kdemod-kdemultimedia-base, just where you would expect it.
Enable the baghira plugin by choosing or adding it in the konqueror sidebar... (right click)

superstoned wrote:

looks like not all packages are fixed yet?

Currently fixing them,  'll upload in a couple of minutes... (kdemod-kdeutils-khexedit, kdemod-kdeutils-kregexpeditor, kdemod-kdeutils-klaptopdaemon, kdemod-kdeutils-ktimer)

superstoned wrote:

another thing, the full font hinting isn't funny for many NVIDIA users due to a (neglected) bug in the drivers (plz complain, ppl! it's easy to reproduce, see my post on the last page):
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthr … 857&page=7

The "enable full hinting by default"-patch is not included in 3.5.6, as it does not seem to work anymore...

superstoned wrote:

shadowblink: yes, i reported that also. and also, the kdemod-extra's package hasn't been updated yet to 3.5.6, so i miss some kicker applets ;-)

kdemod-extra is installed here from the repo and works fine, no problems with it...
(its called "kdemod-extra", not "kdemod-extras" ...)

superstoned wrote:

naah, i can wait....

aand... another thing: what about this patch for emblems?
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=52193

I`ll include it, since the author updated it and implemented a gui now smile

superstoned wrote:

and still another one: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kpdf2/
updates to kpdf from 3.5.x. it's a seperate app because the author made a fork, tough he intends to add the patches to trunk and they might turn up in 3.5.7 (if they prove to be stable, and get some testing).

I'll try to make a diff between kpdf and kpdf2 and apply it, easier for me smile

Again: DO NOT SIMPLY UPGRADE, REINSTALL (!!1!) REMOVE THE 3.5.5 KDEMOD COMPLETELY AND THEN DO A REINSTALL (pacman -S kdemod) AND RESTART YOUR SESSION/X

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#252 2007-01-29 21:09:42

SchaduwBlink

funkyou, I have 3.5.6 fully up and running and I think you did a brilliant job. This is a very clean KDE install with a lot of nice features and patches. The new packages are really nice and some apps I missed from 3.5.5, so all in all, I think this is the best release so far. big_smile Great job!!!

#253 2007-01-29 21:11:27

Neuro

Right, so I successfully installed kdemod 3.5.6 after a bit of fighting with it. Could you please post a message on your website saying to uninstall kdemod completly and reinstall it from scratch instead of doing pacman -Syu?

Also, I'd like to ask a quesiton about the Kickoff menu. It's a nice idea and all.... but the icon is hideous in my setup (gradient kicker, dark-gray background). It's full of small pixel artifacts sad Is there any way of changing it? I'd prefer a normal, smaller, less intrusive button, but I'd like to keep the Kickoff function. Any ideas?

#254 2007-01-29 21:40:07

funkyou
Website

Neuro: A -Suy shouldnt work either, as i have changed the folders on the server, thus forcing users to check out and read smile I have posted the message on the website half an hour ago, after discovering that there are some issues with this update...

You can change your Kickoff buttons, no problem. Just go to /opt/kde/share/apps/kicker/pics ... There you will find 3 .mng files (kmenu_basic.mng etc) which you can change for your needs...

SchaduwBlink: Thank you smile Well, there are some (very) small issues left, but i think we are coming near of what i've envisaged for KDEmod... This update is quite hefty as there are many changes, and i am not perfect (obviously smile ), so i am happy that this one is out and that there are not too much errors...

This all is a work in progress... Currently i am improving the build scripts, maybe i get a fully automated build of the whole KDEmod in near future. Then i have just to issue 2 commands: increase-version.sh and build-it.sh smile Beside some checks for file conflicts, this is very easy to do and i just have to wait and re-check the thing after building...

#255 2007-01-29 22:33:24

superstoned

Hey, funkyou, I'd like to thank you for your work!!! most things work now, I hope you didn't mind me complaining and still asking new stuff... kdemod-extras got renamed to kdemod-extra, that was the problem... And I DID pacman -R kdemod ;-)

Anyway, things work good now. Thank you for these packages, they're much better than the default in Arch.

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#256 2007-01-29 23:10:24

Master One

Yes, funkyou, this is truly an amazing piece of work you have accomplished with your KDEMOD, and it is indeed unbelievable that it's still a one-man project. You should setup a dev-team around you, because it looks like there are a lot of possibilities for even further improvements, from what I've seen from posts in this thread, be it more cosmetical advancedments, artwork, or patches. I am sorry that I can not contribute, but I neither have the necessary knowledge, nor the time (being just a normal user, who somehow got drawn to Arch). So, thank you for your work, it saved me when I was desperate about how to get back to KDE without having to stick with monolithic builds.

#257 2007-01-29 23:17:46

tafsen

What mediaplayer do you guys use?
I found that kaffeine didn't work properly, because before I played a file it had to copy the whole file to a tmp area.

And what do you need to get a battry indicator on the kicker?

Last edited by tafsen (2007-01-29 23:39:16)

#258 2007-01-30 00:50:02

funkyou
Website

superstoned wrote:

Hey, funkyou, I'd like to thank you for your work!!! most things work now, I hope you didn't mind me complaining and still asking new stuff... kdemod-extras got renamed to kdemod-extra, that was the problem... And I DID pacman -R kdemod ;-)

Anyway, things work good now. Thank you for these packages, they're much better than the default in Arch.

Thx. And its good when people telling me requests/bugs smile

I have updated the kopete package a little bit... When i try to compile it with a newer ortp than 0.7.1 it fails, so it seems that ortp 0.7.1 is still needed, and i have put a new notice about that into kopete.install...

There are also some more themes for the reloading kit included with the update, have fun smile

Master One wrote:

Yes, funkyou, this is truly an amazing piece of work you have accomplished with your KDEMOD, and it is indeed unbelievable that it's still a one-man project. You should setup a dev-team around you, because it looks like there are a lot of possibilities for even further improvements, from what I've seen from posts in this thread, be it more cosmetical advancedments, artwork, or patches. I am sorry that I can not contribute, but I neither have the necessary knowledge, nor the time (being just a normal user, who somehow got drawn to Arch). So, thank you for your work, it saved me when I was desperate about how to get back to KDE without having to stick with monolithic builds.

Thanks. Currently i have some time as my girlfriend is in another country for 4 months and i am also moving to another city in the next time and have some free time now... I have written some scripts which do most of the (annoying) work for me... The only thing i have to do every release, is to check for file conflicts... 3.5.6 was a real beast because i rewrote the PKGBUILDs to remove all the chaos that was there till 3.5.5...

I will set up a SVN Server for the PKGBUILDs in the next time, so people can contribute... If someone wants to help me with this (contributing patches, editing PKGBUILDs, introduce new apps etc), just contact me.

tafsen wrote:

What mediaplayer do you guys use?
I found that kaffeine didn't work properly, because before I played a file it had to copy the whole file to a tmp area.

And what do you need to get a battry indicator on the kicker?

I mostly use kaffeine and also mplayer + mplayer-plugin...
For the battery indicator, just install kdemod-kdeutils-klaptopdaemon and configure it in kcontrol...

#259 2007-01-30 00:51:31

Master One

tafsen wrote:

What mediaplayer do you guys use? I found that kaffeine didn't work properly, because before I played a file it had to copy the whole file to a tmp area. And what do you need to get a battry indicator on the kicker?

Good question concerning the mediaplayer, I really hope there is something out there, that does not copy everthing to temp, when trying to open a file on a network share, and that does nicely fit in the KDE environment.

Concerning the battery applet I will use KThinkBat, because I'm using a ThinPad, and KThinkBat can access the status info using the tp_smapi kernel module (see ThinkWiki.org, if you should have a ThinkPad).

#260 2007-01-30 02:14:08

SchaduwBlink

I use kmplayer. The best all-around. wink It started as a plugin for konqueror, but it's a full fledged stand-alone player so it works with files over the network, especially the internet. smile Version 0.9.3 is the latest I think. Don't confuse this with kplayer. For the best performace, I suggest installing mplayer and using the mplayer backend in kmplayer. I use this for everything.

Cheers.

#261 2007-01-30 10:14:55

superstoned

Master One: point is, most media players use KIOslaves, which don't support seeking in KDE 3.x so they have to copy the file's. kaffeine being the most advanced player can do it sometimes (depending on what xine can handle), but that's it. work is being done on this, and seeking has been implemented in the KIOslave structure for KDE 4. I was actually there when Allan Sendfield Jensen got them to work during the K3M meeting in Achtmaal (netherlands)... see my report here http://dot.kde.org/1148805012/

Anyway, with phonon and the improved seeking kioslaves, KDE 4 will most likely offer mediaplayers much better support for this. but for now - you'll have to live with it.

For ease-of-use, I use Codeine. It's a beatifully clean and easy to use mediaplayer, much better than Kaffeine (imho).

#262 2007-01-30 15:52:42

AlexW

Hey funkyou, another great release, it's really making KDE manageable on arch. The stuttering smooth scroll with some sites seems to be fixed for me aswell big_smile

I have stumbled on another bug (no idea if it's KDE bug or from one of the patches you're using) but in konqueror (file manager) if I open a folder (so as to create some history), open up the inergrated search (ctrl+f or menu entry), go back in history and then forwards konqueror crashes. Same happens if I search, go forward from the search (open a file inline or a folder) then go back.

Just so you know. Anyway, thanks again:)

Last edited by AlexW (2007-01-30 16:41:16)

#263 2007-01-30 15:57:50

superstoned

AlexW: i can't reproduce that here on my work (kde 3.5.5 with Kubuntu edgy).

#264 2007-01-30 16:04:37

AlexW

superstoned wrote:

AlexW: i can't reproduce that here on my work (kde 3.5.5 with Kubuntu edgy).

I'm using kdemod 3.5.6 (updated earlier on today smile ) and I didn't have this with kdemod 3.5.5 so I'm guessing it's 2.5.6 related (or maybe my configs need a clean, I'll have to check that).
The crash handler says it caused "signal 11 (SIGSEGV)"

Added:

On a clean profile the crash is gone, and instead I get shown an empty folder when I go back or forward (to where the inline search was shown), contents are still there however but not shown.

Added:

And for more fun on the clean profile, if I go back once in history from a search, open a new search and then go forward again, I get multiple searches spawn under each other each time I go back and forth.

Last edited by AlexW (2007-01-30 16:40:49)

#265 2007-01-30 19:08:35

Master One

Well, so concerning mediaplayer kmplayer and Codeine may be worth a try. In the meantime I have KDEMOD 3.5.6 running on my ThinkPad, and everthing seems to be fine, except a few minor issues:

1. I have installed kuickshow and kview, because I was unsure if both are needed. I tried to find more info on the web, but nothing recent came up. I only could find an old article, which showed, that both do not exactly support the same picture formats, and that the KDE devs would like to merge both to a new image viewer. Do you have both image viewers installed, or do you use a different one? It just seems to be redundant.

2. I seem to be missing some icons concerning the applets, to be specific for Disk Monitor, Kcube, MailKount, Tabelle zur Zeichenauswahl, kbandwidth, kdehddledapplet, kload. Anybody else noticed this, or did I miss a package?

3. I am not sure about the needed daemons to have full functionality in KDE, because the KDEMOD installation added quite some more start-scripts to my /etc/rc.d. At the moment I have the following line in my rc.conf:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal !network crond netfs dhcdbd networkmanager nscd alsa cpufreq powersaved preload gensplash cups esd avahi-daemon fam lisa slpd kdm)

Do I really need dbus + hal + fam + lisa + sldp, to have Konqueror recognize local and remote filechanges (I assume sldp is something else, but I had it started in my Gentoo days, so I added it again, if this one is not needed for normal operation, please tell)?

4. Not really related to KDEMOD, but since I installed knetwork-manager, I have a weird problem with networkmanager setting up my /etc/resolv.conf, please have a look here.

#266 2007-01-30 20:16:25

superstoned

1. go for gwenview, which will replace the other two.
2. i guess they aren't included, you can request them.

#267 2007-01-30 20:28:49

tafsen

2. Im missing those icons aswell

Can install the normal koffice package, or do you need to make a kmod version of koffice?

Last edited by tafsen (2007-01-30 21:22:48)

#268 2007-01-31 04:09:19

funkyou
Website

AlexW wrote:

I have stumbled on another bug (no idea if it's KDE bug or from one of the patches you're using) but in konqueror (file manager) if I open a folder (so as to create some history), open up the inergrated search (ctrl+f or menu entry), go back in history and then forwards konqueror crashes. Same happens if I search, go forward from the search (open a file inline or a folder) then go back.

AlexW wrote:

I'm using kdemod 3.5.6 (updated earlier on today smile ) and I didn't have this with kdemod 3.5.5 so I'm guessing it's 2.5.6 related (or maybe my configs need a clean, I'll have to check that).
The crash handler says it caused "signal 11 (SIGSEGV)"

Added:

On a clean profile the crash is gone, and instead I get shown an empty folder when I go back or forward (to where the inline search was shown), contents are still there however but not shown.

Added:

And for more fun on the clean profile, if I go back once in history from a search, open a new search and then go forward again, I get multiple searches spawn under each other each time I go back and forth.

For me it seems that you have triggered some sort of bug in konqueror... I tried it like you decribed, but the most i get is this empty folder... I think its a a bit illogical to open search at first and then go back in the filesystem, maybe konq can not handle this right... I will check out the patches applied by the kubuntu guys, maybe they have a fix for that...

Master One wrote:

Well, so concerning mediaplayer kmplayer and Codeine may be worth a try. In the meantime I have KDEMOD 3.5.6 running on my ThinkPad, and everthing seems to be fine, except a few minor issues:

1. I have installed kuickshow and kview, because I was unsure if both are needed. I tried to find more info on the web, but nothing recent came up. I only could find an old article, which showed, that both do not exactly support the same picture formats, and that the KDE devs would like to merge both to a new image viewer. Do you have both image viewers installed, or do you use a different one? It just seems to be redundant.

2. I seem to be missing some icons concerning the applets, to be specific for Disk Monitor, Kcube, MailKount, Tabelle zur Zeichenauswahl, kbandwidth, kdehddledapplet, kload. Anybody else noticed this, or did I miss a package?

3. I am not sure about the needed daemons to have full functionality in KDE, because the KDEMOD installation added quite some more start-scripts to my /etc/rc.d. At the moment I have the following line in my rc.conf:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal !network crond netfs dhcdbd networkmanager nscd alsa cpufreq powersaved preload gensplash cups esd avahi-daemon fam lisa slpd kdm)

Do I really need dbus + hal + fam + lisa + sldp, to have Konqueror recognize local and remote filechanges (I assume sldp is something else, but I had it started in my Gentoo days, so I added it again, if this one is not needed for normal operation, please tell)?

4. Not really related to KDEMOD, but since I installed knetwork-manager, I have a weird problem with networkmanager setting up my /etc/resolv.conf, please have a look here.

1 - I second gwenview... Best viewer for KDE, and for my knowledge it also gets into kdegraphics from KDE 4.0 on, so no more weird small viewers anymore smile

2 - Zeichenauswahl has an icon on my machine, the others you mentioned only show a standard icon... I dont know whats happening here, but i noticed this on khddledaplet before when i only had that one installed... I will check that out... btw: do you have kdemod-kdeartwork installed? There are are lot of icons in this package, also look in the FAQ at the website about this issue...

3 - Here are my daemons:

DAEMONS=(@syslog-ng @crond network portmap hal avahi-daemon @avahi-dnsconfd @lisa @samba @cups @cpufreqd @alsa @preload kdm)

FAM is no more needed for KDE, so you can safely disable it...
Avahi does mDNS and discovers your Network for other machines/services... Its a nice thing, and you get full Integration in Konqueror (just check out remote:/ in konqueror), so just leave it enabled...
Lisa does nearly the same as avahi, but for IP-Adresses and Windows shares, but you have to configure it in kcontrol (no big thing, just press forward several times, and then ok) Well, this is for my knowledge, i am sure about the FAM thing, the decription of the others could be wrong, but they work for me smile

4 - I'll check knetworkmanager in a few days when i have installed arch back again on the notebook...

tafsen wrote:

Can install the normal koffice package, or do you need to make a kmod version of koffice?

The installation howto on the Website already covers this... You DO NOT need to build special versions of ANY KDE app... Just use those from the arch repos, they will go fine... The only thing you cannot use with KDEmod, are the original Arch KDE packages. (Well, in theory you can, but i would not do it wink )

#269 2007-01-31 05:56:52

once

i got beryl problem, it created 56 desktop on panel when beryl started.

#270 2007-01-31 08:35:17

AlexW

funkyou wrote:

For me it seems that you have triggered some sort of bug in konqueror... I tried it like you decribed, but the most i get is this empty folder... I think its a a bit illogical to open search at first and then go back in the filesystem, maybe konq can not handle this right... I will check out the patches applied by the kubuntu guys, maybe they have a fix for that...

I just did a quick search of bugs.kde.org and http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135520 & http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135798 seem to be the bugs I'm getting. I haven't found one about multiple searches spawing yet but it's possible it's related to the empty window bug.

BTW, I tend to search for files, find what I'm after and then go back to where I was, which is why this problem popped up for me. I also have a habit of poking any bugs I find until I break something wink

Last edited by AlexW (2007-01-31 08:39:26)

#271 2007-01-31 21:00:04

mata_svada

When using kdemod-packages (doesn't happen with regular kde packages) in Konqueror when browsing files in treeview I can't select files by not clicking on the filesymbol or filename (which would open the file) but somewhere to right in the same row.

I hope this image helps to explain... http://www.aw-modell.at/mata/treeview.png

#272 2007-01-31 21:31:07

superstoned

let me add a problem, the new menu locks up the screen when used sometimes, not allowing for any mouseclicks anywhere. i have to go to a console, killall kicker and restart it.

#273 2007-01-31 22:04:06

SchaduwBlink

mata_svada wrote:

When using kdemod-packages (doesn't happen with regular kde packages) in Konqueror when browsing files in treeview I can't select files by not clicking on the filesymbol or filename (which would open the file) but somewhere to right in the same row.

I hope this image helps to explain... http://www.aw-modell.at/mata/treeview.png

This is because a patch was added to make the clickable area the same length as the file name. It use to be part of the patch that made the colored selection box the same length as the file name, but KDE finally added that to the codebase, but they never shortened the clickable area for the file. If you want to select the file, just hold down the control key, but make sure that no other file is selected. wink

#274 2007-01-31 23:32:56

Master One

funkyou wrote:

1 - I second gwenview... Best viewer for KDE, and for my knowledge it also gets into kdegraphics from KDE 4.0 on, so no more weird small viewers anymore smile

Yep, already removed kuickshow & kview in favor of gwenview, which I already had installed when playing around with XFCE4.4.0.

funkyou wrote:

2 - Zeichenauswahl has an icon on my machine, the others you mentioned only show a standard icon... I dont know whats happening here, but i noticed this on khddledaplet before when i only had that one installed... I will check that out... btw: do you have kdemod-kdeartwork installed? There are are lot of icons in this package, also look in the FAQ at the website about this issue...

How strange, that you have an icon for Zeichenauswahl, but I haven't, and yes, I have kdemod-kdeartwork installed.

funkyou wrote:

3 - Here are my daemons:

DAEMONS=(@syslog-ng @crond network portmap hal avahi-daemon @avahi-dnsconfd @lisa @samba @cups @cpufreqd @alsa @preload kdm)

FAM is no more needed for KDE, so you can safely disable it...
Avahi does mDNS and discovers your Network for other machines/services... Its a nice thing, and you get full Integration in Konqueror (just check out remote:/ in konqueror), so just leave it enabled...
Lisa does nearly the same as avahi, but for IP-Adresses and Windows shares, but you have to configure it in kcontrol (no big thing, just press forward several times, and then ok) Well, this is for my knowledge, i am sure about the FAM thing, the decription of the others could be wrong, but they work for me smile

In this thread it is mentioned, that FAM is only needed if you want to monitor file-alteration on remote filesystems, so I inserted it again into my DAEMONS line, I guess there is no harm leaving it active. FAM relies on portmap, so if you don't use fam, why do you have have portmap in your DAEMONS?

Concerning the DAEMONS starting I just now stumbled over a very strange issue concering avahi-daemon & avahi-dnsconfd, please have a look at this thread, because I really would like to know, if it is working for you correctly, when starting both as seen in your DAEMONS line (and maybe you have an idea, what my problem could be about).

funkyou wrote:

4 - I'll check knetworkmanager in a few days when i have installed arch back again on the notebook...

Already up and running, and the mentioned problem with /etc/resolv.conf is already solved (just had to modify /etc/dhclient.conf).

BTW If you check on knetworkmanager, maybe you can enlighten me, why it is the networkmanager init-script to be started, and not networkmanager-dispatch.

#275 2007-02-01 05:49:38

mata_svada

SchaduwBlink wrote:

This is because a patch was added to make the clickable area the same length as the file name. It use to be part of the patch that made the colored selection box the same length as the file name, but KDE finally added that to the codebase, but they never shortened the clickable area for the file. If you want to select the file, just hold down the control key, but make sure that no other file is selected. wink

Is there no way to make this work the way I was used to? I got used to it so much.... sad

Board footer