You are not logged in.

#1076 2007-06-07 10:11:31

chicha

Re: kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

funkyou wrote:

We are preparing a small feature survey where users can choose the features they want for KDEmod. I, for example, never use the Kickoff menu because it also needs more clicks to start my apps, and its also the only reason why we have to do some hacks here and there and must use unsermake (and split kdebase). I mean, it was a little hype some months ago to have this menu included, but really: Who really uses this menu for a longer time than a week or so?? Thats only my opinion, and we will see who really wants to have this included...

This is a very positive idea ! Be sure I will answer to this survey !

By the way, I am also one of those guys who used this kickoff menu for no more than a week ! At first I find it nice. My wife really disliked it at the first try. Now I am also feeling that in fact the official kde menu was better, even if too classical imho.
I also gave a chance to kerry/beagle. It turns out to be very efficient for finding files. But it consumes way too much memory for me ...

For all those nice features (beagle, kickoff, compiz...) I am starting to think that nothing will be better than a 'KDE made' technology. So from now I will keep enjoy kde 3.5 (the kdemod way of course wink )and wait for kde 4 ...

#1077 2007-06-07 10:40:07

cpu

Maybe we should discuss about including kickoff in kdemod ? Who really uses this for longer time ?

#1078 2007-06-07 10:57:22

mata_svada

funkyou wrote:

I am not a friend of the idea to modify packages because one user asks for it while most others doesnt seem to have a problem with it... As you seem to modify and mix some packages, its unsupported and clearly on your side to make it work... And please just dont ask about those changes, because you can do it much more effective: Just fetch our PKGBUILDs, make your changes, doument them and then send us your changes per mail... So we can imagine much better what you want and we can also test it without changing much stuff just for one user...

I don't really understand what you mean by "much stuff". I just asked whether the qt-enhanced dependency in kdemod-arts really is necessary (I don't think it is). That's all.

So here is the modified PKGBUILD (you'll notice I only changed qt-enhanced to qt). And sorry funkyou if I seem like a user who just asks for changes and doesn't do anything about it which I don't think is true because I've offered my help several times...

#1079 2007-06-07 12:46:21

funkyou
Website

mata_svada wrote:

I don't really understand what you mean by "much stuff". I just asked whether the qt-enhanced dependency in kdemod-arts really is necessary (I don't think it is). That's all.

So here is the modified PKGBUILD (you'll notice I only changed qt-enhanced to qt). And sorry funkyou if I seem like a user who just asks for changes and doesn't do anything about it which I don't think is true because I've offered my help several times...

We will check that, should be no big thing... I hadnt much time over the last few weeks to answer mails, but i can tell you that we are currently thinking about getting more people to help us out... The big question is the "how" so far, maybe we will offer to maintain some modules of it. So one user could maintain kdetoys and another kdepim for example. But we have to discuss about this a little bit more...

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#1080 2007-06-07 12:48:15

funkyou
Website

Okidoki, i have created a small survey, so just take those few questions and help us out smile

Here is the survey: http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/survey/survey.php?sid=28

#1081 2007-06-07 13:13:51

markc
Website

Re Kickoff, fwiw I agree it's really not worth maintaining if it requires too much specialized patching and support. I'd rather see your time spent on making the rest of KDEmod more stable (not that it is unstable... you know... even better than it is now). Actually I just switched back to the standard Kicker menu and it looks really nice with the Domino window style (with rounded corners).

Re KDEmod help, I'd be very interested maintaining some packages and particularly interested in starting on a KDEmod4 if such a thing exists. Do you guys have any plans for a KDEmod4 branch ?

#1082 2007-06-07 13:41:19

mata_svada

funkyou wrote:

Okidoki, i have created a small survey, so just take those few questions and help us out smile

Maybe you should include screenshots of the KSplash and KDM theme in the survey.

#1083 2007-06-07 16:01:44

emmybear

funkyou wrote:

I would take the survey, but on some questions I do not have a solid "yes" or "no", just a feeling of indifference. For example, with the question about the addition of the "Get new backgrounds" button, I would not say no to it for sure, but I do not exactly have a huge want for it. xD

I would also like to add that I use kdemod myself, and I from what I see you all have done a really great job. smile

#1084 2007-06-07 16:19:29

newgargamel

cpu wrote:

Maybe we should discuss about including kickoff in kdemod ? Who really uses this for longer time ?

I really like it!

#1085 2007-06-07 16:24:32

funkyou
Website

I have added the missing pictures for the ksplash and kdm themes to the survey.

Hm, i can not edit an already running survey and modify the answers, so those of your who fill it out have to provide a straight "yes" or "no" smile Just be egoistic when taking the survey, its made for it big_smile

For me it was very easy to answer the questions, so i hope its easy for others too...

#1086 2007-06-07 16:46:45

emmybear

newgargamel wrote:
cpu wrote:

I really like it!

I shall add, that I really like it as well. When I setup Windows, I always add my own custom most-used programs in the place where the automatic "most used programs" usually populate the menu. Then, anything I did not use very often I could access by going to All Programs and navigating from there. So with the addition of the kickoff menu, I am able to do something similar which makes things a lot easier to work with, especially since I am not a fan of desktop icons, nor are they really a replacement for a good menu.

So yeah, I like it much. smile

#1087 2007-06-07 18:01:54

funkyou
Website

markc wrote:

Re Kickoff, fwiw I agree it's really not worth maintaining if it requires too much specialized patching and support. I'd rather see your time spent on making the rest of KDEmod more stable (not that it is unstable... you know... even better than it is now). Actually I just switched back to the standard Kicker menu and it looks really nice with the Domino window style (with rounded corners).

Kickoff is the reason why
-we have to split kdebase
-we use some ugly hacks to build
-we have to use unsermake

Its also a memory and dependency hog, so removing it would make KDEmod a lot lighter and cleaner... Dunkelstern took a look at the source some time ago and tried to replace the beagle integration with strigi, and from what i have heard from him, the kickoff code is just a hackish mess.

markc wrote:

Re KDEmod help, I'd be very interested maintaining some packages and particularly interested in starting on a KDEmod4 if such a thing exists. Do you guys have any plans for a KDEmod4 branch ?

We have yet to discuss how we can manage KDEmod with more than 2 people... Those who want to help also need some experience with svn etc, but we will also provide a howto for managing that smile I will definitely come back to those who offered their help here, and thanks in advance.

As for KDE 4: I think we`ll wait until the first RC is out before starting to mod it. I dont know what changed with cmake and especially what technique can be used to split the packages... The first RC should make it clear and there should be no more big changes to it, so its a good starting point...

emmybear wrote:

I shall add, that I really like it as well. When I setup Windows, I always add my own custom most-used programs in the place where the automatic "most used programs" usually populate the menu. Then, anything I did not use very often I could access by going to All Programs and navigating from there. So with the addition of the kickoff menu, I am able to do something similar which makes things a lot easier to work with, especially since I am not a fan of desktop icons, nor are they really a replacement for a good menu.

So yeah, I like it much. smile

Why not using some quickstarters directly from kicker? It could save you one more click and is also faster.

#1088 2007-06-07 18:50:34

Janax

I'm taking the survey now and had a few small suggestions.

It seems to me that some of the questions (like #9 about Dunkelstern's pacman frontend) could be built as separate packages, while other questions (like the qt enhancements for rubber-band selection, etc.) are really patches against the 'vanilla' codebase.  It would be more helpful if instead of 'yes' or 'no' answers we could say 'as a separate package' or something similar.  So I answered 'no' for this question, even though I think many people on here would like to see this functionality.  I just think it would work better as a separate entity, and then people can choose for themselves if they want it or not.

Also, #10 about needing internationalization - I happen to be an English-speaking American so none of the options are really necessary for me.  I put 'kde-i18n-en_gb' because I couldn't leave the question blank.  I definitely recognize the need for internationalization, but I don't need it for myself, so anything that is installed is wasted HD space for me.  In Gentoo, this was handled with USE flags (not really - but something similar), of course, but I don't know how to do it in a binary package without having separate packages for each language.  That would obviously add some serious overhead to the project.

I do have to say that in the ~2-3 weeks I've been trying out Arch I've stopped using Gentoo as my main distro - and a large part of that is thanks to kdemod!  So keep up the good work guys and thanks very much for your efforts!

#1089 2007-06-07 18:59:44

funkyou
Website

Janax wrote:

I'm taking the survey now and had a few small suggestions.

It seems to me that some of the questions (like #9 about Dunkelstern's pacman frontend) could be built as separate packages, while other questions (like the qt enhancements for rubber-band selection, etc.) are really patches against the 'vanilla' codebase.  It would be more helpful if instead of 'yes' or 'no' answers we could say 'as a separate package' or something similar.  So I answered 'no' for this question, even though I think many people on here would like to see this functionality.  I just think it would work better as a separate entity, and then people can choose for themselves if they want it or not.

As said before, i cannot modify the survey after starting it... We will decide how we package new stuff in some days/weeks after finishing the survey, it should be no big deal and we already try to split up KDEmod as much as we can into single packages. This lies also more on the side of the packagers and how far they want to go with splitting up the whole thing... The only "convenience package" providing more than one app so far is kdemod-extra, and it seems that a lot of people are using it...

Janax wrote:

Also, #10 about needing internationalization - I happen to be an English-speaking American so none of the options are really necessary for me.  I put 'kde-i18n-en_gb' because I couldn't leave the question blank.  I definitely recognize the need for internationalization, but I don't need it for myself, so anything that is installed is wasted HD space for me.  In Gentoo, this was handled with USE flags (not really - but something similar), of course, but I don't know how to do it in a binary package without having separate packages for each language.  That would obviously add some serious overhead to the project.

No problem, just choose your language from the list. This question exists just of "statistical reasons", so we can choose the i18n packages we have to build... If you dont want to install any i18n package at all, then just dont do it smile

Janax wrote:

I do have to say that in the ~2-3 weeks I've been trying out Arch I've stopped using Gentoo as my main distro - and a large part of that is thanks to kdemod!  So keep up the good work guys and thanks very much for your efforts!

Thanks, this keeps us going smile

#1090 2007-06-07 19:45:00

remur

i just want to throw in my vote in favor of the kickoff menu

This is a totally selfish decission as it seems to take much of your time, but I find it very useful and well thought out, especially the way I just throw my mousecursor into the edge without clicking, very smooth !

Anyways I want to use this opportunity to thank you for your great work, without kdemod I wouldn't be using arch as I can't stand an unsplitted KDE (way over time they start to do this themself...)

#1091 2007-06-08 00:47:35

skottish
Forum Fellow

I just took the survey, and if my input means anything, you guys have a hell of a lot less work to do. I'm just happy as can be with the split packages and the enhanced QT. Other than that, I'm not really using anything fancy.

#1092 2007-06-08 01:00:35

bender02

funkyou wrote:

Why not using some quickstarters directly from kicker? It could save you one more click and is also faster.

Well, I use kickoff mainly as hitting alt-f1, typing first few letters from an application, kickoff finds it for me, and then I hit enter. If there would be some kicker applet/something else having this functionality, I would happily convert back to usual KDE menu. But now KDE menu is unusable with just keyboard - one has to press arrows really a lot...
So, do you guys know something which would provide this feature?
And I don't mean usual launchers - ie having a button for each application. I tried katapult, but that's a much bigger memory/resource hog than kickoff. Also, I know there's dmenu, which is fine, but it's not integrated with KDE (means no icons, etc).

EDIT: I guess I found what I wanted: tastymenu (or kbfx, but I don't like strigi dependency in that). So... don't need kickoff anymore smile

Long live kdemod!

Last edited by bender02 (2007-06-08 01:32:49)

#1093 2007-06-08 15:12:20

funkyou
Website

nice, so far there are 48 participants on our survey after one day smile i will keep it open for about 2-3 weeks...

and a small request... If someone is willing to split and maintain koffice, we can provide an account (SVN + FTP) on our server and host the packages... It should be relatively easy to split it, and it doesnt contain that much packages...

#1094 2007-06-09 08:05:11

cpu

I have strange situation when apps are maximized -> artefact in right upper corner and also a part of window (2-3 pixels) is cut hmm
Example: http://www.ztpnet.pl/~cpu/kdemod.png
Anyone can help ?

#1095 2007-06-09 10:24:03

funkyou
Website

It looks more like a problem with beryl... Did you test it without beryl?

#1096 2007-06-09 10:33:19

cpu

Thanks funkyou - problem is on beryl site hmm

#1097 2007-06-09 12:01:08

Evoreth

Is the qt-immodule patch applied to qt-enhanced? I just can't get UIM working.

#1098 2007-06-09 12:32:00

funkyou
Website

Its not included... Just give us a link to the patch and we'll apply it...

#1099 2007-06-09 13:10:48

Evoreth

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar … QtDownload

I hope that this is the right thing. Actually I have no idea. roll The documentation states that the qt-immodule patch must be applied to Qt. Is there a way to find out if the version of Qt in the extra repository has this patch applied? Before I switched to KDEmod everything was working fine, so I want to make sure that this is really the cause of my problems.

#1100 2007-06-09 14:12:38

superstoned

Hey guys, any chance you can get http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/AL … tent=60054 in? I like that one...  And http://kde-apps.org/?xcontentmode=37 shows some other nice new patches, like better transparancy support to Kdesktop and some other stuff. please?

btw nice work. I did take the survey. I said I would like to keep the kickoff menu, but if it's really that much work, I'd be happy with the normal KDE menu as well...

(edit: links)

Last edited by superstoned (2007-06-09 20:53:47)

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

Board footer