You are not logged in.

#1151 2007-06-19 22:50:12

dunkelstern
Website

Re: kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

Hi People...

I am afraid 64Bit is blocking development again. It seems KDE won't build with GCC 4.2 on 64Bit Linux.
I  have to downgrade GCC first, but there's no package neither in my cache nor in the repos, so I have to build GCC myself.

And because I don't want to break the repo again I'll try out the compiled binaries much more this time.
(Because of gcc... it's a bit critical if something goes wrong there.)

Edit: Ok I'll try the phraktured.net mirror. Or upgrade the binutils... Just have to try what works better.

Last edited by dunkelstern (2007-06-19 22:51:46)

#1152 2007-06-19 23:05:57

antonik

funkyou wrote:

We are quite busy right now and a new build will come soon...

Over the last days i investigated a little bit in how a default theme could look like... As many users seem to like the screenshots on our website, i have made this one so far:

http://xs216.xs.to/xs216/07252/screenie.jpg.xs.jpg

Its a heavily modified version of a grey theme found at kde-look and i like it very much. This would require only one additional dependency to be installed: kdestyle-domino...

My plans are so far:
- Include domino as default style with the settings/colors shown above
- Make our tango icon theme the default icon theme

I dont know if users like the kicker layout shown in the screenshot, but i think i will keep KDE's default layout. The whole theme stuff is of course only enabled on a fresh install/user and can be easily disabled or uninstalled...

So, what do you think about this?

I am not to fond of the kicker looking like that, reminds me of mac os x. But otherwise maybe I would use the theme, have to "feel" it first, and anyway if one doesnt like it, people know how to switch to Plastik.

Oh and btw, I see the results on the survey concerning the question whether or not to include a "get wallpaper button" turned out equal, 73 vs 73. Can easily be resolved by flippin a coin wink

Last edited by antonik (2007-06-19 23:08:38)

#1153 2007-06-19 23:23:26

chaosgeisterchen

funkyou wrote:

Over the last days i investigated a little bit in how a default theme could look like... As many users seem to like the screenshots on our website, i have made this one so far:

Its a heavily modified version of a grey theme found at kde-look and i like it very much. This would require only one additional dependency to be installed: kdestyle-domino...

My plans are so far:

I dont know if users like the kicker layout shown in the screenshot, but i think i will keep KDE's default layout. The whole theme stuff is of course only enabled on a fresh install/user and can be easily disabled or uninstalled...

It looks _great! Just like I want it to look. Well, quite like it. It's more or less the most you can get out of KDE from my point of view.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#1154 2007-06-20 13:00:32

javonera

funkyou wrote:

My plans are so far:

Is that the classic kicker? Because the only way I can have 2 rows of tray icons is having a huge kicker. And if I do that, the other icons gets the height of the kicker.....they almost scare me a bit tongue . Did you modify the kickerrc ?

Here's what i get: http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs216&d=07253&f=screenshot1.png

By the way, the screenshot looks awesome!! big_smile

#1155 2007-06-20 14:12:26

funkyou
Website

javonera wrote:

Is that the classic kicker? Because the only way I can have 2 rows of tray icons is having a huge kicker. And if I do that, the other icons gets the height of the kicker.....they almost scare me a bit tongue . Did you modify the kickerrc ?

Its the standard plain kicker and the only changes i did to kickerrc are:

[menus]
ShowMenuTitles=false

I know about the problem with the systray icons... Just set the kicker height to 48 pixels and you will get a not too big kicker bar with two rows of icons in the systray...

I will expand the kde desktop tricks wiki entry shortly when i have some time, as i have much stuff about KDE customization laying around smile

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#1156 2007-06-20 16:40:12

Kenetixx
Website

dunkelstern wrote:

Hi People...

I am afraid 64Bit is blocking development again. It seems KDE won't build with GCC 4.2 on 64Bit Linux.
I  have to downgrade GCC first, but there's no package neither in my cache nor in the repos, so I have to build GCC myself.

And because I don't want to break the repo again I'll try out the compiled binaries much more this time.

Edit: Ok I'll try the phraktured.net mirror. Or upgrade the binutils... Just have to try what works better.

How did it go?
Get it sorted or still having issues?

http://binaryritual.net

There is no spoon.......

#1157 2007-06-20 20:46:26

chaosgeisterchen

@funkyou:

How will we be able to obtain this design preinstalled in future? What is the package called one has to install?

I'm very much looking forward to enjoy it.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#1158 2007-06-20 21:23:01

funkyou
Website

chaosgeisterchen wrote:

@funkyou:

How will we be able to obtain this design preinstalled in future? What is the package called one has to install?

I'm very much looking forward to enjoy it.

Well, the theme stuff is now enabled in svn... As there are only some new configs + kdestyle-domino coming with it, most of the stuff has been included into kdemod-kde-common...

The theme will be the default for the next build and will be enabled for every fresh user on first startup... It should be no problem to move this config over to an exisiting user account, as its just a matter of selecting our provided configs...

There will be no way to make this fully optional, e.g. to choose if you want to have kdemod with this theme or just a plain untouched version... The reason is that we have to modify the kde profile script to copy our configuration to $HOME/.kde before kde's first startup, and so we cannot provide the theme as an additional package...

Here are some screenshots of the current defaults:
Bildschirmphoto1.png.xs.jpg
default desktop

Bildschirmphoto2.png.xs.jpg
kcontrol, konqueror, kmenu

Bildschirmphoto3.png.xs.jpg
konqueror webbrowser

As you can see, its clean and unobstrusive... The kicker layout has been kept standard, because most users will modify it anyway.

Last edited by funkyou (2007-06-20 21:32:03)

#1159 2007-06-20 21:39:35

Gweg

hi kdemoders smile

Good idea to give screenshot of default setup of desktop.

I have few questions :
how do work flash/embeded videos in kdemod-konqueror ?
easily ? successfully ? quickly ?
Can we open two tabs in konqueror (web browser) of internet pages containing flash without any trouble (flash aninmation can be seen in two tabs together ?)
Should we set anything to link correctly video application / plugin with video in webpages ? (apple.com/trailers for example)

I mesure the job already done, and it is radically amazing.
Thanks so much big_smile

Voodoo voodoo, VOOODOOOO ?

#1160 2007-06-21 01:12:03

Kenetixx
Website

Superkaramba wont load?

[ado@keuroic ~]$ superkaramba
superkaramba: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Ideas?

There is no spoon.......

#1161 2007-06-21 01:49:31

skottish
Forum Fellow

Do you have gtk (not gtk2) installed?

#1162 2007-06-21 01:57:15

Kenetixx
Website

Thanks skottish thats what it was and i had to install xmms??? whats up with that?

There is no spoon.......

#1163 2007-06-21 02:04:05

skottish
Forum Fellow

I seem to remember there being a long discussion somewhere about XMMS as a dependency in KDE. I also seem to remember something about trying to get rid of GTK. Hmmm???

Wait! Here it is:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=26774

#1164 2007-06-21 03:48:10

Tido

Can KDEmod have its own sub-forum please?  Trying to filter through this post is awful tongue

#1165 2007-06-21 06:01:30

pressh
Developer/TU

skottish wrote:

I seem to remember there being a long discussion somewhere about XMMS as a dependency in KDE. I also seem to remember something about trying to get rid of GTK. Hmmm???

Wait! Here it is:

kdemod did include a patch to get rid of the gtk/xmms dependencie. Sadly at some time this patch stopped working and gtk/xmms are needed again for superkaramba.

#1166 2007-06-21 14:26:28

funkyou
Website

pressh wrote:
skottish wrote:

Wait! Here it is:

kdemod did include a patch to get rid of the gtk/xmms dependencie. Sadly at some time this patch stopped working and gtk/xmms are needed again for superkaramba.

Thats not right, xmms is not neded for superkaramba and gtk does not even show up in the KDE depends list... This gtk problem can be solved by a simple recompile of superkaramba. I dont have time now to do that, so if it bothers you, just recompile (and dont increase the pkrel).

#1167 2007-06-21 15:11:13

Kenetixx
Website

Doesnt bother me if i need an extra dependencie, i have plenty of HDD space
Most probable will be fixed in KDE4 anyway.

There is no spoon.......

#1168 2007-06-21 18:19:23

dunkelstern
Website

Kenetixx wrote:
dunkelstern wrote:

Hi People...

How did it go?
Get it sorted or still having issues?

It builds fine but i have 2 issues to resolve (read: weird bugs). We are waiting for xorg 7.3 to move out of testing too.
We're waiting because a full rebuild without ccache of kdemod is about 12 hours (with ccache about 6 hours) and you know time is money and I don't want to rebuild it again if that move breaks something.

#1169 2007-06-21 21:22:16

mcrae

I know I've seen the answer to this but it's hard to find in 47 pages!;) kdemod is popular!

How do I get back my true transparent konsole?

Thanks,
McRae

#1170 2007-06-21 21:34:56

funkyou
Website

mcrae wrote:

How do I get back my true transparent konsole?

$ konsole --real-transparency

#1171 2007-06-21 21:49:31

mcrae

wow- that was simple:)
But to make that persistant...so it stays this way. In other words, I don't want to have to issue the command each time.

Thanks in advance
mcrae

Last edited by mcrae (2007-06-22 01:02:30)

#1172 2007-06-22 10:47:23

mata_svada

mcrae wrote:

wow- that was simple:)
But to make that persistant...so it stays this way. In other words, I don't want to have to issue the command each time.

Just change the command in KMenu from

konsole

to

konsole --real-transparency

Last edited by mata_svada (2007-06-22 10:48:27)

#1173 2007-06-23 04:14:33

mcrae

ah! mata_svada thank you.

mcrae

#1174 2007-06-25 10:31:47

n8schicht
Website

Hi you guys!
I don't know if somebody already mentioned this, but I think it would be an improvement to have a service menu entry in the context menu under "actions" to execute a file with root permissions. Something like this: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.ph … f8e9199b48

Maybe it would be good (especially for beginners) to include this? Despite of that: kdemod rocks!! Thank you for all your efforts!!

#1175 2007-06-25 11:54:01

ianegg

Hi, I added a feature request to the bug tracker to add the real transparency patch to kdesktop. I'd really like to see this added if possible, because it would allow us to use multiple wallpapers properly with compiz, and also to have a properly transparent desktop.

Board footer