funkyou
Website

Re: kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

chaosgeisterchen wrote:
aionea wrote:
mandos wrote:

hello everybody,
I decided to give KDE a try before 15days
to my surprise I like it (i've been using gnome since... forever)

but I don't want aaaaall this stuff it adds
so I wan't to try kdemod

when trying to install I get the same error as people described above:

error: cannot resolve dependencies for "kdemod-kdemultimedia":
       "gstreamer" is not in the package set

I installed gstreamer0.10 manually, but it didn't solve the problem

what am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance wink

A temporary workaround:
1. open /var/lib/pacman/kdemod/kdemod-kdemultimedia-3.5.5-1/depends in your favourite text editor. (you need to be root)
2. change "gstreamer" to "gstreamer0.10" and "gst-plugins" to "gstreamer0.10-base" and save the changes
3. pacman -S kdemod
smile
(note: after syncing this fix is removed so you need to edit depends again if you want to reinstall the package)

Thanks for the hint! This allowed me to finally install all the kdemod-packages.

This should be fixed now....

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#127 2007-01-13 14:20:17

chaosgeisterchen

Around half an hour ago, the problem still existed for me.

//edit

Well, I am retrieving the updated kdemod-kdemultimedia at the moment. It should be okay then.

The dependencies have been update. Thanks for the tip anyhow, I will certainly be able to use it anytime in the future.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#128 2007-01-13 15:55:55

superstoned

funkyou wrote:
superstoned wrote:

nice work!!! again less dep's. that's good...

btw, had time to look at kdict?

kdemod-kdenetwork-kdict is available at the repo smile

and another update - added qt-enhanced 3.3.7

thank you thank you thank you!!!

*love*

(no, not that way, sorry)

/jos

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#129 2007-01-14 00:02:30

superstoned

OK, now i'm scared. i've been feeling drawing in konsole has been slow lately. so i just timed it. time cat (bigfile). well, if i have the window on-screen (tab), it's over 4 seconds. if i'm in another tab (eg it doesn't have to paint) we're talking less than 0.5 seconds.

i've never measured it before, but i recall a discussion about this where was concluded konsole outperforms xterm in drawing (anti-aliassed in konsole is approx. as fast as normal in xterm...). and now xterm does it in... 0.4 sec, like konsole if it didn't have to draw.

i have xrender enabled, renderaccel, it's all there. could it be anything in kdemod?

i've searched the KDE bug database, nothing on this...

anybody noticing this?

#130 2007-01-14 10:37:19

funkyou
Website

superstoned wrote:

OK, now i'm scared. i've been feeling drawing in konsole has been slow lately. so i just timed it. time cat (bigfile). well, if i have the window on-screen (tab), it's over 4 seconds. if i'm in another tab (eg it doesn't have to paint) we're talking less than 0.5 seconds.

i've never measured it before, but i recall a discussion about this where was concluded konsole outperforms xterm in drawing (anti-aliassed in konsole is approx. as fast as normal in xterm...). and now xterm does it in... 0.4 sec, like konsole if it didn't have to draw.

i have xrender enabled, renderaccel, it's all there. could it be anything in kdemod?

i've searched the KDE bug database, nothing on this...

anybody noticing this?

maybe its the patch that enables true transparency... I have read that it can lead to some weird behavior but did not notice anything since i applied it to kdebase, so i consider it as ok. in terms of performance i havent noticed a slowdown, and konsole is just the best terminal app for me since a long time (mostly because of the small "new tab" button which seems to be too hard to include for others lol )

maybe you can try it with an unpatched konsole...

#131 2007-01-14 11:05:12

superstoned

Konsole (kde 3.5.5, kdemod), visible:

real    0m4.974s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.010s

Konsole (kde 3.5.5, kdemod), invisible:

real    0m0.947s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.011s

Konsole (kde 4.0SVN), visible:

real    0m0.594s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.014s

Konsole (kde 4.0SVN), invisible:

real    0m0.347s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.010s

Xterm visible:

real    0m0.876s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.012s

in other words, the KDE 4 version is faster than xterm (even tough it has anti-aliasing). the KDE 3 (patched) doesn't use transparancy (i use the scheme 'linux colors'), but still suffers hugely from the patch.

this patch needs fixin' in two ways, speed and "don't touch my konsole if i have no composite and you're not turned on, freakin' compositing code!"

#132 2007-01-14 17:21:03

chaosgeisterchen

I'm (still) having issues with the fonts management of KDEmod. If I add a font in the KControl-Module (with root rights, of course), it won't be added properly. The added file turns out to exist but is nullified - as it has only 0 Byte of file size.

Known problem? Does anyone know some workaround?

celestary
kernel26

#133 2007-01-14 17:27:41

funkyou
Website

chaosgeisterchen wrote:

I'm (still) having issues with the fonts management of KDEmod. If I add a font in the KControl-Module (with root rights, of course), it won't be added properly. The added file turns out to exist but is nullified - as it has only 0 Byte of file size.

Known problem? Does anyone know some workaround?

I have the same problem since KDE 3.5.4 (not only KDEmod). It works when you install the fonts as user...

About your font problems:

1 - which fonts are installed?
2 - which fonts are choosed for KDE in Kcontrol?

It works for me without problems, even on a fresh install.

#134 2007-01-14 17:49:36

mandos
Website

I installed KDEmod (thanks for the help everybody)
and runned it, though I don't have a lot of experience with KDE it is (from my point of view) much lighter and faster to boot

I have a problem though, in the Wizard (first-boot) I told to KDE that I live in Greece (because I do so tongue)
if I open a console I can write ONLY greek, and nothing else!
I re-runed the wizard and told it I live in the US... and that's it, from this user kdemod does boot, but it crashes if you try to touch the start menu!

is there a way to remove any settings made?
as root kdemod works fine (but writes greek characters in consoles...)

appart from this problem, it seems nice smile
keep up
(and I'm pretty sure you can continue with kde4mod once kde4 comes out!)

#135 2007-01-14 17:51:16

chaosgeisterchen

fonts installed

I have to admit to only have a root account at the moment which I use for everything (mistake, I know, I have to create new users).

I use Bitstream VeraSans 10 pt all around for KDE.

celestary
kernel26

#136 2007-01-14 17:54:41

superstoned

mandos wrote:

I installed KDEmod (thanks for the help everybody)
and runned it, though I don't have a lot of experience with KDE it is (from my point of view) much lighter and faster to boot

I have a problem though, in the Wizard (first-boot) I told to KDE that I live in Greece (because I do so tongue)
if I open a console I can write ONLY greek, and nothing else!
I re-runed the wizard and told it I live in the US... and that's it, from this user kdemod does boot, but it crashes if you try to touch the start menu!

is there a way to remove any settings made?
as root kdemod works fine (but writes greek characters in consoles...)

appart from this problem, it seems nice smile
keep up
(and I'm pretty sure you can continue with kde4mod once kde4 comes out!)

all KDE settings live in /home/[username]/.kde

so go to your homedirectory and type 'rm -rfd .kde' and it's clean. you can login again.

btw the settings from the first time wizard all live in the KDE control center, i'm pretty confident you'd better make your changes there. it seems the first time wizard broke something. normally, i'd ask you to try to find out what went wrong, and fix it, but as this wizart is currently being thrown away for KDE 4, it would be pretty pointless.

#137 2007-01-14 18:06:06

mandos
Website

I'm responsible for not being able to write english
I fixed it (xorg.conf)

but still I need to reset my users settings smile
thanks for the info

#138 2007-01-15 09:19:20

funkyou
Website

chaosgeisterchen wrote:

[URL=http://pastebin.archlinux.org/852]fonts installed[/URL]

I have to admit to only have a root account at the moment which I use for everything (mistake, I know, I have to create new users).

I use Bitstream VeraSans 10 pt all around for KDE.

Try it with an user account... I can not tell you more about this, but it seems to be a very strange behaviour.

#139 2007-01-15 10:53:28

chaosgeisterchen

I will certainly try and report what happened.

celestary
kernel26

#140 2007-01-15 20:58:51

funkyou
Website

currently uploading another update...

- replaced the shadowfade at logout with a more elegant and flickerless solution (hope you like it smile )
- added tooltips for logout buttons
- added a patch that prevents beryl/compiz to be saved with the current KDE session as this can lead to unexpected behaviour (e.g. beryl started twice) when starting the next session

there is another patch available at the beryl forums to make the taskbar support beryl/compiz viewports, but it seems to lead to some troubles and so i dont apply it for now. maybe a fixed version will be included in 3.5.6...

#141 2007-01-15 22:21:49

superstoned

funkyou wrote:

currently uploading another update...

- replaced the shadowfade at logout with a more elegant and flickerless solution (hope you like it smile )
- added tooltips for logout buttons
- added a patch that prevents beryl/compiz to be saved with the current KDE session as this can lead to unexpected behaviour (e.g. beryl started twice) when starting the next session

there is another patch available at the beryl forums to make the taskbar support beryl/compiz viewports, but it seems to lead to some troubles and so i dont apply it for now. maybe a fixed version will be included in 3.5.6...

thanx. and let's hope we have support for beryl asap, tough i might not use it anyway big_smile

well, maybe i will... anyway, i'm not sure it'll get in 3.5.6, as that one is very close. maybe 3.5.7 big_smile

#142 2007-01-16 00:52:48

SchaduwBlink

Sabayon Linux has the new "start" menu applied to it that was created by SuSE. I forget the name of it and it's not one of the patches in KIP. You can see a screenshot here:
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slide … 8&slide=17

I DLed their LiveDVD to play with it and it's pretty sweet. You can right click on it and select the old style KDE menu if you want. If I can find that patch, would you be interested in including it in this?

Cheers.

#143 2007-01-16 10:05:32

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink wrote:

Sabayon Linux has the new "start" menu applied to it that was created by SuSE. I forget the name of it and it's not one of the patches in KIP. You can see a screenshot here:
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slide … 8&slide=17

I DLed their LiveDVD to play with it and it's pretty sweet. You can right click on it and select the old style KDE menu if you want. If I can find that patch, would you be interested in including it in this?

Cheers.

Man i tell you smile I have already tried hard to include the kickoff patches from SuSE, Sabayon and Pardus (even made arch artwork for it) but i can not get them to work properly, and i am also on topic with this subject since kickoff got released.

As mentioned here, it seems that SuSE is shipping the freshest version (suse_kickoff_qstyle) with their KDE3 build service, as the original kickoff branch has experienced no update since mid-november... Its no problem to get the sources, just head over to SuSEs KDE3 Project, get the kdebase3 and kdelibs3 sources and extract them with rpmextract to get the latest stable version of the patches...

Now, thats the easy part... But building KDE with those patches is just a mess... I have searched through the Sabayon SVN, but i just can not find out how they apply the kickoff patches (older version though) and build KDEbase, except a couple of lines at the end of the Kicker EBuild. And it seems that the sabayonlinux-integration patches dont do anything except changing some commands in the menu (e.g. yast -> kcontrol) ...

The problem seems to be automake or something as stated in the Sabayon-EBuild, and i have tried hard to get it working for several times now, but not the slightest chance...

If someone wants to try this, here is my last PKGBUILD attempt made 2 days ago: http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/kickoff-port.tar.gz It works until make enters the kicker subfolder, then you will see all the mess up wink BTW: Dont judge the PKGBUILD, its just a quick modification that works ...

The included liblazy must be installed, and you also need libbeagle to build it correctly... Also the kdebase3.spec file from the SuSE .src.rpms was very helpful, as it describes their whole procedure to build kdebase... In their kdelibs3 package you will find another patch to add shadows for kickoff, which is also nice...

BTW: Here is another patch to de-SuSify kickoff, all the rest of information i have is already inside this posting...

Happy Hacking big_smile

#144 2007-01-16 12:42:57

SchaduwBlink

oooo. It's time for some hacking. big_smile Finally something to do. My CPU is mostly idle since I switched from Gentoo. lol Now it's time for compiling. Whoohoo. Though, this should prove interesting.

#145 2007-01-16 14:05:22

SchaduwBlink

funkyou, do you have all your PKGBUILDs shared for kdebase? I need to do some extensive testing with all of kdebase.

EDIT: And for kdelibs as well. I want to add in the dropshadow support. smile Well, try to.

Thanks

#146 2007-01-16 16:18:24

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink wrote:

funkyou, do you have all your PKGBUILDs shared for kdebase? I need to do some extensive testing with all of kdebase.

EDIT: And for kdelibs as well. I want to add in the dropshadow support. smile Well, try to.

Thanks

I have uploaded a fresh archive with the latest complete KDEmod tree, download it here: http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/repo/pkgbuilds … lds.tar.gz

If you get this thing to work i owe you a beer big_smile

#147 2007-01-16 17:15:14

SchaduwBlink

This is also a good opportunity to test out a new Pertty/KIP patch that I never updated to the 3.5.x series ... actually, I removed it back in the 3.4.x days. Yay for new patches.

Thanks for the link. smile Now I can test this out. tongue

EDIT: btw, the kickoff menu has added features for beagle. I have been reading up on this on the SuSE site. I really hope this works. *crosses fingers.*

EDIT2: God, I forgot how long it actually takes to compile kdelibs. -_- I am so use to instant install now. tongue Ah well. Good time to watch a move.

#148 2007-01-16 18:55:56

superstoned

SchaduwBlink wrote:

This is also a good opportunity to test out a new Pertty/KIP patch that I never updated to the 3.5.x series ... actually, I removed it back in the 3.4.x days. Yay for new patches.

Thanks for the link. smile Now I can test this out. tongue

EDIT: btw, the kickoff menu has added features for beagle. I have been reading up on this on the SuSE site. I really hope this works. *crosses fingers.*

now you're guys are working on weird stuff anyway, should i poke you guys when kwin_composite is becoming usable? big_smile

#149 2007-01-16 19:00:33

SchaduwBlink

AS they say, "boys and their toys." tongue I never really use the composite stuff. I do like the looks of kickoff though, so I am working hard to get it going on Arch.

I read up on how Kicker is compiled for Sabayon. It's literally a hack in a hack in a hack to make it work. I hope I have better luck.

The rebirth of an old kip patch is going well. I need to make some tweaks on it still. I nearly forgot about it. If I think it can be tweaked better, but after I compile kicker. wink

Cheers.

#150 2007-01-16 19:51:44

superstoned

keep us informed (yeah, you do, but i mean, go on!)

Board footer