You are not logged in.

#151 2007-01-16 23:31:58

tockar
Website

Re: kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

What package is needed to get kcontrol? I need this (and only this) package for better Opera Browser look. :oops:

#152 2007-01-17 09:24:47

superstoned

most likely kdebase, it's one of the basic things.

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#153 2007-01-17 13:00:11

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink wrote:

This is also a good opportunity to test out a new Pertty/KIP patch that I never updated to the 3.5.x series ... actually, I removed it back in the 3.4.x days. Yay for new patches.

Thanks for the link. smile Now I can test this out. tongue

EDIT: btw, the kickoff menu has added features for beagle. I have been reading up on this on the SuSE site. I really hope this works. *crosses fingers.*

EDIT2: God, I forgot how long it actually takes to compile kdelibs. -_- I am so use to instant install now. tongue Ah well. Good time to watch a move.

SchaduwBlink wrote:

AS they say, "boys and their toys." tongue I never really use the composite stuff. I do like the looks of kickoff though, so I am working hard to get it going on Arch.

I read up on how Kicker is compiled for Sabayon. It's literally a hack in a hack in a hack to make it work. I hope I have better luck.

The rebirth of an old kip patch is going well. I need to make some tweaks on it still. I nearly forgot about it. If I think it can be tweaked better, but after I compile kicker. wink

Cheers.

Sounds good, i wonder whats this old kip patch smile

Keep up the good work

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#154 2007-01-17 18:38:03

SchaduwBlink

funkyou, when you try to compile kdebase with the kickoff patches, did you get the error that the file: KMenuBase.h could not be found? That is the current error I get, and a google search turned up nothing. tongue

The old KIP patch has something to do with rounded corners. Those that remember it may know know what I had to take out. wink

Thanks

#155 2007-01-17 19:13:11

superstoned

btw kde 3.5.6 is *very* close big_smile
kubuntu already seems to have testing packages, guess they just pulled it from SVN...

#156 2007-01-17 20:31:52

SchaduwBlink

superstoned wrote:

btw kde 3.5.6 is *very* close big_smile
kubuntu already seems to have testing packages, guess they just pulled it from SVN...

Yeah. I am waiting for kde 3.5.6 before releasing some of what I have done. While trying to get kickoff to work, I included a massive upgrade to kdelibs that fixes a number of bugs that are in svn already, and kde 3.5.6 will see these fixes, so there is no point in releasing it. I need to wait so I can port the old pertty patches as well. I noticed the 3.5.6 tags when I was in their server trying to get updates to kickoff.

Hopefully the cups bugs are all worked out now.

#157 2007-01-17 21:21:05

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink wrote:

funkyou, when you try to compile kdebase with the kickoff patches, did you get the error that the file: KMenuBase.h could not be found? That is the current error I get, and a google search turned up nothing. tongue

Thats the error i get too... I think its something with automake or in the Makefiles because kmenubase.h must be generated before, so i think the order is just wrong... When i faced this error, i manually changed into the kicker/kicker/ui (if i remember correctly, maybe its kicker/kicker/core) folder and did a make there which generated kmenubase.h, and then went back to the top folder of kdebase and issued the make again... This went fine, but then came a lot of other errors, so i think the whole make process is just badly broken with kickoff...

I also asked at #kde about the problem, but the only answer i got was that kmenubase.h must be generated out of a .ui file, so that was not very successful...

I really dont get how the SuSE people get this mess to build. When i look into their .spec file, it seems like a normal configure, make, make install...

Maybe the sabayon devs can give some info about this? It seems that automake is the big problem here, as on of them wrote at their forums

#158 2007-01-18 02:55:44

SchaduwBlink

funkyou, where's that beer? I will have a 3 or so thousand word essay to post here sometime later. lol I am hoping later tonight, maybe tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, would it be possible for you to make a PKGBUILD with kicker split out? Have a kbdebase as is now minus kicker, then build kicker separately? I need to do an ugly hack and it would be a billion times better to do this outside of the normal kdebase.

Cheers.

#159 2007-01-18 05:53:31

SchaduwBlink

As promised, here is the 3 thousand word essay:

[URL=http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kickoffarch1pz9.png]kickoffarch1pz9.th.png[/URL]

[URL=http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kickoffarch2kc2.png]kickoffarch2kc2.th.png[/URL]

[URL=http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kickoffarch3zs0.png]kickoffarch3zs0.th.png[/URL]

If you look closely at the third image, you can see the shadows on the menu more easy. Also the the Control Panel has been modified to set properties for both kick off and you can switch back to the standard kde menu, though you can do that by right-clicking the menu button.

As you can see, I need to de-suse-ify kickoff still. What graphics to you want? I need buttons. tongue

Also, to point out something you can't see in the screen shot, when you hover over the menu button, the green geko thing turns orange, and the eyes follow your mouse, then the menu pops up and the geko thing is green again and the eyes are locked in position.

And yes, this is Arch Linux, not SuSE and it was compiled with all the patches. wink Oh, these are the newest patches. So, this is running a newer kickoff than any other distro, unless someone with OpenSUSE updated KDE. wink But, only if they updated, the ones released with openSUSE originally were old. tongue

Enjoy. I kinda like this menu.

#160 2007-01-18 09:02:20

superstoned

great work!!!

#161 2007-01-18 14:33:45

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink wrote:

As promised, here is the 3 thousand word essay:

[URL=http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kickoffarch1pz9.png]kickoffarch1pz9.th.png[/URL]

[URL=http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kickoffarch2kc2.png]kickoffarch2kc2.th.png[/URL]

[URL=http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kickoffarch3zs0.png]kickoffarch3zs0.th.png[/URL]

If you look closely at the third image, you can see the shadows on the menu more easy. Also the the Control Panel has been modified to set properties for both kick off and you can switch back to the standard kde menu, though you can do that by right-clicking the menu button.

As you can see, I need to de-suse-ify kickoff still. What graphics to you want? I need buttons. tongue

Also, to point out something you can't see in the screen shot, when you hover over the menu button, the green geko thing turns orange, and the eyes follow your mouse, then the menu pops up and the geko thing is green again and the eyes are locked in position.

And yes, this is Arch Linux, not SuSE and it was compiled with all the patches. wink Oh, these are the newest patches. So, this is running a newer kickoff than any other distro, unless someone with OpenSUSE updated KDE. wink But, only if they updated, the ones released with openSUSE originally were old. tongue

Enjoy. I kinda like this menu.

wee, now i owe you that beer big_smile (no prob, your address -> a bottle of fresh beer brewed here in berlin smile )

This looks _very_ nice, you are my hero of the day smile It needs some deSuSEfying work, but that should be the smallest problem...

I have noticed that the sabayon guys just replaced the mng's with png's to replace the SuSE artwork, maybe this is an option because there is no decent way to produce mng's under linux (at least gimp can write them but not read) and even under windows too...

So i would suggest to replace the mng's with arch-ified png's... When i do a cat kickoff.diff | grep kmenu_basic i can cleary see the reference to this files:

+        QString pth = locate( "appdata", "pics/kmenu_basic.mng" );
+    m_movie = new QMovie(locate("appdata", "pics/kmenu_basic.mng"));
+        m_movie = new QMovie(locate("appdata", "pics/kmenu_basic.mng"));
Property changes on: data/kickoff/kmenu_basic.mng
+               kmenu_basic.mng kmenu_flipped.mng kmenu_vertical.mng 

...so it should be easy to simply change the images...

I dont know if you have already changed the references to yast, so here are the de-suSEfying patches again... They are pretty easy, even i can understand them - and i have only very basic C/C++ knowledge smile

http://stormfront.googlecode.com/svn/tr … 4461.patch
http://stormfront.googlecode.com/svn/tr … 0111.patch

SchaduwBlink wrote:

EDIT: Oh, would it be possible for you to make a PKGBUILD with kicker split out? Have a kbdebase as is now minus kicker, then build kicker separately? I need to do an ugly hack and it would be a billion times better to do this outside of the normal kdebase.

Cheers.

I will do the following:

1 - create a KDEbase package with splitted out kicker
2 - create some generic arch artwork for the menu button etc

I am not at home until saturday evening, but i think i`ll manage to post it here on saturday evening, so keep your fingers crossed smile

#162 2007-01-18 19:49:27

SchaduwBlink

Okay, I need some help. If you look in the lower right corner of kickoff, there is green text labeled "openSUSE". I have found in the patch where it is activated, but I have not found the actual code itself. I can change the URL in the code, so I can make that button open up the arch linux website, but I can't find where the text maybe a image is located. :S If anyone wants to look, the patches are somewhere on the previous page in funkyou's post.

Thanks

EDIT: NM. I think I found it. The diff file has an imaege in it. :S It's a field called image0 and it's in xpm.gz formate, so that image is built into the menu. Would anyone care to make one that says Arch Linux? Then I can link that to the Arch Linux homepage.

#163 2007-01-18 20:07:33

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink wrote:

Okay, I need some help. If you look in the lower right corner of kickoff, there is green text labeled "openSUSE". I have found in the patch where it is activated, but I have not found the actual code itself. I can change the URL in the code, so I can make that button open up the arch linux website, but I can't find where the text maybe a image is located. :S If anyone wants to look, the patches are somewhere on the previous page in funkyou's post.

Thanks

EDIT: NM. I think I found it. The diff file has an imaege in it. :S It's a field called image0 and it's in xpm.gz formate, so that image is built into the menu. Would anyone care to make one that says Arch Linux? Then I can link that to the Arch Linux homepage.

Is there something about the pixel size of that image?? I need the size, then i can make an arch image smile

#164 2007-01-19 20:14:28

SchaduwBlink

de-susified: kickoffarch4vf1.th.png

The new graphics are by funkyou. I think that is a sexy start menu button. There is still a few minor bugs to be taken care of, but I know what to do now for the 3.5.6 update for kickoff, so that shouldn't take too long. smile I am waiting patiently for the source. Then it's modify time.

Funkyou put in a lot of time for these changes as well. He mad a very nice new pkgbuild that split off kicker from kdebase and did a lot of testing of the patches I modified. This was needed to get rid of all the ugly hacks from the main kdebase package. A lot of research went into making this possible. Kickoff is not an easy beast to customize. tongue Some of the graphics are actually compiled into the code, which makes them difficult to change.

Cheers.

#165 2007-01-19 20:38:47

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink wrote:

de-susified:
The new graphics are by funkyou. I think that is a sexy start menu button. There is still a few minor bugs to be taken care of, but I know what to do now for the 3.5.6 update for kickoff, so that shouldn't take too long. smile I am waiting patiently for the source. Then it's modify time.

Funkyou put in a lot of time for these changes as well. He mad a very nice new pkgbuild that split off kicker from kdebase and did a lot of testing of the patches I modified. This was needed to get rid of all the ugly hacks from the main kdebase package. A lot of research went into making this possible. Kickoff is not an easy beast to customize. tongue Some of the graphics are actually compiled into the code, which makes them difficult to change.

Cheers.

Looks better from update to update big_smile

The Logo looks a bit pixelized, but thats a disadvantage of the xpm format... Its a shame that the SuSE developers make it so hard to change and adapt their (opensource) work, at first the totally broken compile procedure, and who the hell had the idea to include a .xpm.gz _into_ the source...?  :shock:  Loading a png is so much easier, and i dont think that the way they did it has something to do with optimization - in my opinion its just an obstacle for others to adapt their menu... But it seems there is nothing impossible, thanks SchaduwBlink smile

btw: maybe we increase the font size a little bit here and there and remove the logo because its so pixelized...(?) I have a patch ready for that, currently testing...  Already tried to do a less pixelized version of the graphic, but no chance to do this with xpm..

#166 2007-01-21 13:37:22

superstoned

you guys are doing a great job, really... i'm looking forward to the kdemod kde 3.5.6 packages with this cool menu big_smile

#167 2007-01-21 14:36:41

funkyou
Website

I am currently incorporating some new ideas into the PKGBUILDs to ease maintenance and cleaning them up. Still have about 70% of them to edit, but this will be no problem anymore in the future, to edit them all manually... It also seems that all the patches for 3.5.5 apply cleanly on 3.5.6, so this will be an easy update smile

Kickoff is really cool and very useable... There are still some minor problems like the partial support for dark colorschemes (it uses pngs like kbfx, but is not such themeable) but overall its a good experience ... Stay tuned for 3.5.6 smile

#168 2007-01-21 16:03:40

Master One

funkyou wrote:

2006-12-06:At first, here is a list of whats not included:
kdeaddons: atlantikdesigner, knewsticker-scripts
kdeadmin: lilo-config, kdat, knetworkconf, kpackage, ksysv (the latter three do not work in arch anyway)
kdeartwork: icewm-themes
kdegraphics: kfax, kmrml, kpovmodeler, kuickshow, kview, kfaxview, kdvi, kooka, libkscan
kdemultimedia: audiofile_artsplugin, kaboodle, mpg123_artsplugin, oggvorbis_artsplugin, akode_artsplugin, mpeglib_artsplug
kdenetwork: kdict, kpf, knewsticker
kdepim: karm, kmobile, kpilot, kitchensync, kandy
kdeutils: ksim, kedit, kdelirc, kdf, kfloppy, kjots

What's the reason, these apps didn't make it, and what to do, if any of these are needed?

Sorry, if the answer should be obvious, but some of the listed programs seem quite important.

#169 2007-01-21 16:20:02

superstoned

if you want any of these apps, you can request them to be added. funkyou just didn't take time to make packages for them, mostly a time issue... kdict is now included (i asked for it), btw. so if you need any of them, just say so big_smile

and of course, ask a bit nicely, funkyou spends quite some time on this.

#170 2007-01-21 16:38:44

SchaduwBlink

Most of those apps I find to be not needed, so it's not really a loss. wink It cuts down on what's installed and makes everything a lot cleaner.

http://www.kde.org/announcements/change … o3_5_6.php

#171 2007-01-21 16:49:56

funkyou
Website

Master One wrote:
funkyou wrote:

2006-12-06:At first, here is a list of whats not included:
kdeaddons: atlantikdesigner, knewsticker-scripts
kdeadmin: lilo-config, kdat, knetworkconf, kpackage, ksysv (the latter three do not work in arch anyway)
kdeartwork: icewm-themes
kdegraphics: kfax, kmrml, kpovmodeler, kuickshow, kview, kfaxview, kdvi, kooka, libkscan
kdemultimedia: audiofile_artsplugin, kaboodle, mpg123_artsplugin, oggvorbis_artsplugin, akode_artsplugin, mpeglib_artsplug
kdenetwork: kdict, kpf, knewsticker
kdepim: karm, kmobile, kpilot, kitchensync, kandy
kdeutils: ksim, kedit, kdelirc, kdf, kfloppy, kjots

What's the reason, these apps didn't make it, and what to do, if any of these are needed?

Sorry, if the answer should be obvious, but some of the listed programs seem quite important.

If you have read this list, you maybe have also read whats written above smile

2006-12-06: KDEmod now has its own webpage: http://www.kdemod.ath.cx ... Please go there to see the latest packages, changelog and installation instructions...

The post is quite old and many of those apps are now included into to it, just check out the webpage smile

#172 2007-01-21 17:22:12

superstoned

who knows if this fixes compiz/beryl support for multiple desktops?!?

kicker
Bugfixes: 
More support for compiz as a window manager.

#173 2007-01-22 13:08:31

djclue917

SchaduwBlink, is it possible to build Kickoff separately and not as a whole kdebase? If it can be, then please post a PKGBUILD.

#174 2007-01-22 13:26:20

funkyou
Website

djclue917 wrote:

SchaduwBlink, is it possible to build Kickoff separately and not as a whole kdebase? If it can be, then please post a PKGBUILD.

To answer this question: Its possible and has already been done, and i'll post the new PKGBUILDs soon. However, for full functionality KDElibs need to be patched too, and there are plenty of dependencies like kerry, liblazy and the whole beagle stuff, and i am still finding out how it all works together. Also the arch specific patch (to remove the SuSE stuff) is not 100% yet, and for that i need to wait for SchaduwBlink...

#175 2007-01-22 14:39:24

superstoned

ai, so the menu depends on beagle??? that sucks...

Board footer