You are not logged in.

#176 2007-01-22 14:54:24

funkyou
Website

Re: kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

superstoned wrote:

ai, so the menu depends on beagle??? that sucks...

it depends on libbeagle and liblazy (these are a must), but if you want to have the full functionality you have to install beagle and kerry, and i tell you even if those are fairly heavy dependencies, its worth it smile

I am curently building beagle and kerry packages without those fat gnome dependencies. Someone posted them to the AUR and they are quite nice, so i'll just adapt them for KDEmod.

btw: the kerry and beagle dependencies will be fully optional, but you will gain a lot of funcionality by installing them (i just love the kickoff search function and integration with kerry)...

Anyway, i hope the kickoff devs will include strigi support aswell, this would be a lot easier to maintain with fewer dependencies also...

btw: This explains it better:

Search

When the menu opens the search line edit gets the focus. Typing switches to the search result tabs which will show the first few items found in every category:
Email, and web addresses are recognised appropriate actions offered.
Addressbook entries within KAddressbook are searched
Applications and their descriptions are searched
Bookmarks of Konqueror are searched
Executables in your PATH
Simple sums are evaluated

If you have Beagle running you will get additional results like:
Web pages visited
Control Center modules
Emails and chat log files
Other content search results (documents, images, music, ...)

'Search Index' opens Kerry with your current search term to show all search results.
'Search Internet' opens default browser and queries your default search provider with your current search term.

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#177 2007-01-22 15:28:33

superstoned

well, those look good. but esp after the recent piece of research which showed beagle being 40 times slower on indexing and using approx 10 times the memory of stigi, i'd love to get that working...

well, for the time being, i'm pretty sure my pc can handle beagle (dualcore 2.2 ghz, 3 gb ram) so that's not the problem...

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#178 2007-01-22 15:40:16

djclue917

funkyou wrote:
superstoned wrote:

Anyway, i hope the kickoff devs will include strigi support aswell, this would be a lot easier to maintain with fewer dependencies also...

The latest KBFX release has strigi support. Based on this: http://plasma.kde.org/wiki/index.php/RaptorMenu
the Raptor menu for KDE4 will be something more like KBFX than Kickoff as far as appearance is concerned.

To answer this question: Its possible and has already been done, and i'll post the new PKGBUILDs soon. However, for full functionality KDElibs need to be patched too, and there are plenty of dependencies like kerry, liblazy and the whole beagle stuff, and i am still finding out how it all works together. Also the arch specific patch (to remove the SuSE stuff) is not 100% yet, and for that i need to wait for SchaduwBlink...

So you mean a separate Kickoff package is possible and that it wouldn't conflict with the kdebase package? What do the patches do? Can you send me the PKGBUILDs via e-mail? Just look up my e-mail address in the AUR. Thanks.

BTW, I've actually done a diff between the kdebase-3.5.5 source and the (older) kdebase-kickoff code. There aren't really many big changes. The size of the large size of the diff was due to the fact that the old Kickoff codebase was based on kdebase-3.5.3

#179 2007-01-22 17:33:43

funkyou
Website

superstoned wrote:

well, those look good. but esp after the recent piece of research which showed beagle being 40 times slower on indexing and using approx 10 times the memory of stigi, i'd love to get that working...

well, for the time being, i'm pretty sure my pc can handle beagle (dualcore 2.2 ghz, 3 gb ram) so that's not the problem...

I am currently trying to contact the kickoff devs to tell them some feature requests and some complaints wink Beagle runs quite good here, no problems so far and the performance is also ok on an 3.4ghz dualcore with 1gb ram... As said before, the integration with kerry is really nice and i am using it regulary since i discovered it. Thats also the only disadvantage with strigi i have so far, the integration. I hope this will be issued in a future version...

djclue917 wrote:

The latest KBFX release has strigi support. Based on this: http://plasma.kde.org/wiki/index.php/RaptorMenu
the Raptor menu for KDE4 will be something more like KBFX than Kickoff as far as appearance is concerned.

So you mean a separate Kickoff package is possible and that it wouldn't conflict with the kdebase package? What do the patches do? Can you send me the PKGBUILDs via e-mail? Just look up my e-mail address in the AUR. Thanks.

BTW, I've actually done a diff between the kdebase-3.5.5 source and the (older) kdebase-kickoff code. There aren't really many big changes. The size of the large size of the diff was due to the fact that the old Kickoff codebase was based on kdebase-3.5.3

I tried the lates KBFX release, but the menu is way too big for my eyes (on a 1400x1050 screen) and there are also more disadvantages like cutted item names etc... But the strigi integration is indeed very nice smile

A separate kickoff package is possible, but because its a kicker patch it would conflict with kdebase. I solved this by completely removing kicker from the kdebase package and providing a seperate kicker package... The problem is that the kickoff build process is just a mess and it does not build with optimizations like --enable-gcc-hidden-visibility also, and this way i have an optimized kdebase and only kicker built without those stuff...

The patches i have do the following:
kdebase-3.5.5-kickoff-kcm.diff - kickoff kcontrol integration
kdebase-3.5.5-kickoff.diff - the kickoff menu
kdelibs-3.5.5-kickoff-drop-shadow.diff - shadows for the menu (this breaks some beryl stuff, so i think i will not use it on 3.5.6)

i have also made an kickoff-arch-integration.diff out of ShaduwBlinks stuff and added some more changes to it, so its easier to port to arch when there is a new upstream version...

I will send you the PKGBUILDs when they are ready, currenty its all a little mess and i am cleaning them up...

#180 2007-01-22 17:57:40

SchaduwBlink

funkyou, what do you mean that the PKGBUILDs need cleaning up? I looked at them and I thought they were readable and clear. What about them do you not like? I'm a little confused here.

And keep up the good work and putting a lot of time into this. big_smile Personally, I think this release is better than the split up ebuilds of Gentoo. Thanks for doing this. big_smile

Cheers.

#181 2007-01-22 18:22:40

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink wrote:

funkyou, what do you mean that the PKGBUILDs need cleaning up? I looked at them and I thought they were readable and clear. What about them do you not like? I'm a little confused here.

And keep up the good work and putting a lot of time into this. big_smile Personally, I think this release is better than the split up ebuilds of Gentoo. Thanks for doing this. big_smile

Cheers.

Thanks smile

The PKGUILDs started as "fork" from the original arch ones made by tpowa and i hacked them a lot to make them what i want... Now it works more or less, but i want to make them

1 - 100% clearly readable and documented (which is not really the case yet)
2 - easier to maintain for me

To ease the maintenance i am using some more custom variables. I know this bites the arch packaging standards, but i think this is ok beside the fact that KDEmod has already about 100 individual packages... There were also some very nice ideas from slubman in the PKGBUILDs he sent me for kdetoys, and i am currently building those into all PKGBUILDs, because with these changes it will take less time to include new apps or modify existing ones... Currently i have some time to spend on this, but this will change in the near future as i am moving to another city and also change my job. So i am just doing some groundwork smile

#182 2007-01-22 18:49:47

darzephyr

Hi. Thanks for your all great work.

I noticed that kcalc (kdemod-kdeutils-kcalc) needs  "gmp".

Without this package you get:
kcalc: error while loading shared libraries: libgmp.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Again, thanks.

Darío Andrés
KDE BugSquad Team and Developer

#183 2007-01-22 20:28:29

SchaduwBlink

Ah. I see. smile

Right now I am working on getting a nice image for the button to open the arch linux homepage. tongue I got the image I want, I just need to convert it right. It's a complex SVG image.

#184 2007-01-22 21:19:25

skottish
Forum Fellow

SchaduwBlink wrote:

I just need to convert it right. It's a complex SVG image.

I believe that ImageMajick will convert SVG images to lots of other formats.

#185 2007-01-22 22:24:33

SchaduwBlink

I tried that, but it's not converting the transparency layer with it. It's a really complex image that maybe too difficult for it to handle. sad

Here is the link to the svg file. Maybe you can figure out what to do with it.
http://rapidshare.com/files/12922549/arch-logo.svg.html

It has a lot of transparency in it. I need it as a transparent gif or png file. Open it up and then set a background color so you can see what it's doing. It needs a background color like that, so I need to perserve that so when I import it, it takes the background color of whatever and uses it.

Cheers.

#186 2007-01-22 23:43:36

funkyou
Website

SchaduwBlink wrote:

I tried that, but it's not converting the transparency layer with it. It's a really complex image that maybe too difficult for it to handle. sad

It has a lot of transparency in it. I need it as a transparent gif or png file. Open it up and then set a background color so you can see what it's doing. It needs a background color like that, so I need to perserve that so when I import it, it takes the background color of whatever and uses it.

Cheers.

xpm was made for icons and is nearly 20 years old, so you can't expect such stuff from it smile I tried to convert your image to xpm but no chance, it always messes up the transpareny or colors...

Making a png or gif is easy, just open it up in gimp, enter 22 for the height, and you have your image and can save it as gif or png, should be no problem... The problem is truly xpm at this point :?

#187 2007-01-23 00:16:36

SchaduwBlink

That worked. big_smile That image is very nice as a png and it works with kickoff. big_smile It's very small, un obtrusive and should work with any color scheme. smile

#188 2007-01-23 00:26:42

funkyou
Website

Sounds nice smile I didnt expected that you can also include a png into it, but you propably just have changed the -data format="XPM.GZ"- to something other smile

The PKGBUILDs are already cleaned and finished, so there are two things left...

1 - KDE 3.5.6
2 - Your stuff

...then my build-slave-machine (hostname "slave" wink ) can begin its mission

#189 2007-01-23 06:43:10

djclue917

funkyou wrote:

kdelibs-3.5.5-kickoff-drop-shadow.diff - shadows for the menu (this breaks some beryl stuff, so i think i will not use it on 3.5.6)

Won't the 1st and 2nd patches break a kdebase-3.5.5 build? What I mean is will the two patches require some other KDE stuff to be patched/modified or will the vanilla KDE packages (excluding kdebase) be sufficient for Kickoff to be functional?

BTW, can you send me those two patches. I would like to take a look at them.

#190 2007-01-23 06:53:41

djclue917

SchaduwBlink wrote:

Cheers.

You can use Inkscape for exporting SVGs to raster images:

inkscape --without-gui --export-png="arch-logo.png" --export-background-opacity=0 arch-logo.svg >& /dev/null

The --export-background-opacity=0 option will make sure that the transparency layer becomes transparent upon export.

#191 2007-01-23 15:21:54

funkyou
Website

djclue917 wrote:
funkyou wrote:

Won't the 1st and 2nd patches break a kdebase-3.5.5 build? What I mean is will the two patches require some other KDE stuff to be patched/modified or will the vanilla KDE packages (excluding kdebase) be sufficient for Kickoff to be functional?

BTW, can you send me those two patches. I would like to take a look at them.

At first, you need to recompile kdebase with those patches... Doing that is problematic, because the build files are broken for make after applying the patches (so you have to use unsermake which works) and you also can not use some optimizations like hidden visibility (which usually speeds up KDE)... Thats the reason i do the splitted builds, one optimized kdebase and the (slightly) unoptimized kicker package...

I dont know exactly what you mean, packages or compilation/build?... Surely, the menu will break any original arch kdebase _packages_, because you have to compile it anyway and it _will_ overwrite some kicker files...

As written above, kickoff only needs the two kdebase patches for the minimum functionality... So if you want to have the menu, just rebuild kdebase with those 2 patches. If you want software shadows for the menu then you also need to patch kdelibs. And finally, if you want to have the full search functionality (indexing etc), you also have to install beagle and kerry...

#192 2007-01-23 16:00:16

djclue917

funkyou wrote:

I dont know exactly what you mean, packages or compilation/build?... Surely, the menu will break any original arch kdebase _packages_, because you have to compile it anyway and it _will_ overwrite some kicker files...

What I meant is "will kdebase-3.5.5 + kickoff patches build without any problems?"

What particular kicker files do the kickoff stuff conflict with?

#193 2007-01-23 16:13:48

funkyou
Website

djclue917 wrote:

What I meant is "will kdebase-3.5.5 + kickoff patches build without any problems?"

What particular kicker files do the kickoff stuff conflict with?

Kickoff only conflicts with an _installed_ arch kdebase, because it will overwrite most kicker files and also adds some new ones...

There are some major problems compiling kdebase 3.5.5 with the kickoff patch. When i dived into it, i noticed a lot of breakage in the Makefiles and after some fiddling i decided to leave it, because it was just too broken... But then SchaduwBlink came into the game and we finally solved the build issues. That means:

-you can not use optimizations like --enable-kde-hidden-visibility
-you _must_ use unsermake (available in the AUR) instead of make
-you have to generate the makefiles, configure etc with unsermake as first step...

I will send you the PKGBUILDs, then it should be clear what i mean smile

There is also much SuSE specific stuff in this patch, so you have to edit it to remove the logo and the moving lizards eye (yes, there is one smile ), and to adjust the links for some applications like yast... With the help of SchaduwBlink i created an arch-integration-patch.diff which is easily maintainable and allows to make these changes hopefully on new upstream versions too...

As SchaduwBlink said before, this thing is a real beast to get it working and i hope this will change in the future...

#194 2007-01-23 16:46:43

SchaduwBlink

The problem with make is that it doesn't make the kicker files in the right order. It's suppose to great a header file, kmenubase.h, and then compile code that needs that header file, however it tries to compile the code that needs that header file first, thus it blows up.

unsermake is a nice clean way to make it just work. tongue I had to do a lot of tracing through the SuSE spec files to figure out how they are able to build the files and they use unsermake for everything. So, I gave it a shot and it worked and I was happy. Though, I soon ran into the hidden visibility bug.

BTW, I am using KDE 3.5.6 from arch Extra and I some ... issues. Kwrite just decides to close on it's own every once in a while. KDevelope likes to crash everytime I click save. The search field in Konqueror disappeared (where you can type something in next to the location bar and it goes to google to search for that). I looked through all the options and I cannot find it. Even configure toolbars has no option for it. :S I use that a lot and now I need to manually type in google. Maybe this is why KDE 3.5.6 is not released yet? They already retagged the release a day after tagging it.

Ah well.

Cheers.

#195 2007-01-23 20:23:48

tafsen

What package include Kopete?

And do you need to make own language packages for kdemod?
If that's the case, could you make a norwegian one then?  roll

Thx for the work

#196 2007-01-23 20:38:19

funkyou
Website

tafsen: you can find kopete in the kdemod-kdenetwork-kopete package...

To see a list of all available packages, just type in pacman -Ss kdemod

I will include the norwegian language pack with 3.5.6, no prob smile

#197 2007-01-23 22:50:18

tafsen

Thank you mate smile

#198 2007-01-24 16:51:17

SchaduwBlink

Some bad news. There was a showstopper bug in KDE 3.5.6. After going through the svn, there was another retagging, which was done hours ago, so ... we need to wait longer before the release. Good news ... eh ... it's less buggy. tongue

They also retagged KDevelop 3.4.0 a little of 100 minutes ago. So ... longer on that as well. sad

EDIT: Funkyou, can you link me to your latest pkgbuilds? I would like to play around with them. (A) Thanks.

Cheers.

#199 2007-01-24 18:58:07

superstoned

yeah, i saw it. and read about the bugs somewhere, but don't remember what it was big_smile

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#200 2007-01-25 06:38:51

funkyou
Website

Ok, i played a bit around with the last 3.5.6 retag from svn and there are some problems to be solved before i can build it... I built kdebase and kdelibs, and after a restart my entries in kcontrol and kmenu were gone. Dont know whats causing this, maybe the kickoff patch or the new splitting of kdebase or something else, so i have to investigate... This means that there will be a delay...

To compensate this, i have just uploaded some new stuff smile

With the current kdebase + kdelibs update comes the kickoff menu patched for arch, which should be enabled by default after a restart of KDE or a "dcop kicker Panel restart"... Its the latest (qstyle based) version, so we are a little bit ahead of the others who still ship the old pixmap-based version smile Please report any problems you might encounter with this, especially with the update. If the update fails, remove your kdebase with "pacman -Rd kdemod-kdebase" and install the new version with "pacman -S kdemod-kdebase kdemod-kdebase-kicker", this should solve possible errors...

Kickoff has some additional dependencies, so dont wonder when pacman wants to install libbeagle and stuff...

If you want to harness the full power of the menu, then install kdemod-kerry which will also install a stripped down version of beagle... (Dont forget to start kerry afterwards ...)

There is also a kdelibs patch available to provide software shadows for the kickoff menu, but this one makes problems with beryl, so its not included in this release...

And some new translations:

kdemod-kde-i18n-fr
kdemod-kde-i18n-it
kdemod-kde-i18n-ja
kdemod-kde-i18n-nn (as requested by tafsen)

And at least: a fixed kcalc package with updated dependencies... (Thanks to darzephyr for reporting)

ps: if you dont like kickoff you can switch back to the normal KDE menu by doing a right click on the icon...

cheers.

Board footer