You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-02 18:39:05

to7m

How can I stop applications launching pulseaudio and jackd?

Hi all,

I've got pulseaudio and jack2 installed on both my desktop and laptop. On my desktop, everything works as expected (I can start them, nothing else starts them), so I know what I'm trying to do is possible...

On my new laptop install however, if I start Audacity or Firefox, a process called ‘pulseaudio --daemonize=no’ appears. If I kill it, it respawns which is also concerning. If I start MuseScore, a process called ‘jackd -T -ndefault -T -d alsa’ appears.

Maybe there is some new service that starts these processes when an application requests them?

Anyway, I would like to know if there's anything I can do to prevent applications from starting sound servers. My only possible solution at the moment is a script to rename the pulseaudio and jackd binaries after every system update :^)

All the best,
Tom

#2 2018-01-02 19:10:24

progandy

Re: How can I stop applications launching pulseaudio and jackd?

Pulseaudio is most likely started by pulseaudio.socket in your systemd --user instance when firefox tries to connect to it.

systemctl --user disable pulseaudio.socket

There is a second way pulseaudio can be started automatically, you might have to prevent that too: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … dio_server

Last edited by progandy (2018-01-02 19:13:19)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2018-01-02 23:38:57

to7m

That systemctl command was exactly what was needed, thanks!

MuseScore spawning jackd I can live with.

It seems that the Arch repo version of pulseaudio has that autospawn option set to ‘no’ by default.

#4 2018-01-03 02:01:25

to7m

Actually, it turns out that

systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket

is the way to do it. Using ‘disable’, some reason, has no effect even after reboot, and causes pulseaudio to complain about ‘module-native-protocol-unix’. Using ‘stop’ before starting pulse each time (regardless of whether ‘disable’ has been used in a previous session) seems to solve everything.

I assumed the ‘disable’ command worked at first because I tried to test it in the same session with its ‘stop’ counterpart, but it was ‘stop’ all along. Oh well, it's stable now!

#5 2018-01-03 08:44:12

progandy

It seems you have to mask it instead of disabling:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#Running

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#6 2018-01-04 16:31:03

to7m

Yep, that works fine too, and means I can easily disable my startup script. Thanks again(:

Board footer