You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-06 21:03:51

gregfrankenstein
Member
Registered: 2015-09-12
Posts: 26

[SOLVED] GTK file dialogs are larger than my display

I've been setting up this ThinkPad to my liking.  One thing that's plagued me is every time I save or open a file in a GTK+ application like Firefox or gedit, the dialog is so large it extends off screen and I can't access the "open" or "cancel" buttons.

I opened up dconf-editor and found a "window size" setting for org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser and sure enough, it's set to a rather arbitrary (1203, 937), larger than my resolution of 1200x800.  But if I try setting it lower, it doesn't stick.  I save and exit dconf-editor, but as soon as I run another open/save dialog, the setting comes back.  Something gets triggered that overrides it and the next time I open dconf-editor, that custom setting of 1203x937 is back.

I'm definitely saving the setting in dconf-editor.  If I was to simply change the setting, close dconf-editor, and reopen it, my changed setting is there.  It's only after I run a "save as" dialog it gets reset.  Logging out and back in doesn't help either.  This happens in multiple desktop environments and window managers.

Why?!

Last edited by gregfrankenstein (2018-01-07 09:06:31)

Offline

#2 2018-01-06 21:10:16

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,776

Re: [SOLVED] GTK file dialogs are larger than my display

I don't have a solution, but as a temporary workaround you may be able to Alt+drag the window to reach the buttons (depending on WM/DE).


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

#3 2018-01-07 07:30:14

gregfrankenstein
Member
Registered: 2015-09-12
Posts: 26

Re: [SOLVED] GTK file dialogs are larger than my display

I managed to get it to fit in LXQt.  Not my current environment of choice, but once I could access the corners and drag it to a smaller size, that size stuck in every other environment.  Hey, peachy.

Offline

#4 2018-01-07 09:05:14

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,056

Re: [SOLVED] GTK file dialogs are larger than my display

Yes, the size is remembered (what likely got you into this situation)
Fyi, Alt+right mouse button (sometimes the middle button) will allow you to resize windows like alt+lmb allows you to move them (in most WMs)

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your first posts subject.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB