You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-06 22:42:30

WFV

[SOLVED] suspend fails to resume on kernel >4.14.9-1

Since upgrading from 4.14.9-1 to 10-1, then 11-1 computer fails to resume from suspend. Pressing the space-bar starts the fans but uncertain if the disks actually restart, the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and network do not start (e.g. space-bar starts the fans but nothing else, no CTRL+ALT+DEL, etc, no leds on keyboard). No network, doesn't accept ssh, or respond to ping. Downgrading to 4.14.9-1 mainline kernel works - haven't tried LTS because my graphics card doesn't work with it (no DE, but can get tty). Read a lot of google search since 4.14.10-1 was out of testing, mostly the bbs.arch ones and

man pm-suspend

and

man 8 acpid

and APCID Arch Wiki. Right now I changed BIOS to "S3 only", it was "Auto" and suspend is working in the test 4.14.12-1 kernel however, there doesn't appear to be anything that stands out in changes from 4.14.11 to 12, so guessing something changed between 9-1 and 10-1. I'm going to set the BIOS back to Auto to see if resume will still work in 4.14.12-1.
This is partial upgrade because only upgraded linux, linux-headers, linux-docs, and virtualbox-host-modules-arch to the current testing versions. Other packages: networkmanager I repackage including its two dependencies to exclude bluetooth - so all three of those packages are also newer than the mainline (installed = 1.11.1dev+382+g2499d3bdc-1) and librsvg is downgraded to 2:2.40.19-1 because later and current versions break gweled however, they have all been tried and make no difference on this pc with suspend/resume. Everything else is up to date (-Syu).
The journal doesn't provide me enough info to find out whats not working because it stops logging before everything reaches suspend state (a working suspend doesn't write all of the suspend events to the log until resume starts anyway according to the timestamps) however, there isn't any noticeable difference in the time it takes to suspend from the time Xfce Suspend selection is made to the fans shutting off. Journal log only shows --- reboot --- after the fact as I have to use the power button to shut down the pc, then restart it.
Asus desktop M5A88-M, FX-8350, GFX0=Asus Radeon RX-550. Ethernet with wifi disabled, 32GB ram.
Prior to 4.14.10-1, resume from suspend has rarely ever not worked since 2013, that is, it has worked mostly always and the rare occasions that it failed weren't result of kernel update, they were very random, few and far between. Not sure where to look or what to look at from here and if BIOS//Power//Auto doesn't work with 4.14.12-1 maybe solution going forward is leave BIOS set to S3 as I don't have swap space set up, not really interested in suspending to disk and I don't use hibernate.

Last edited by WFV (2018-01-10 15:38:59)

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

#2 2018-01-06 23:19:36

loqs

Re: [SOLVED] suspend fails to resume on kernel >4.14.9-1

I would generally check the upstream changelog before the package changelog for such an issue.  As user space and kernel space and seperate there should be no issues from swapping to the kernel from testing.
You could try bisecting between 4.14.9 and 4.14.10 to find the bad commit if the issue still exists on 4.14.12 you would need to switch to DKMS version of virtualbox-host-modules or work without them during the bisection.
Edit:
spelling/grammar user space not users pace

Last edited by loqs (2018-01-06 23:20:21)

#3 2018-01-08 08:16:52

WFV

Re: [SOLVED] suspend fails to resume on kernel >4.14.9-1

Thank you loqs. So far is working with 4.14.12 with BIOS reset to back to Auto and swamped with work (employ) now so not sure if will get time to do any bisecting soon (can't guarantee I'd be able to spot bad commit even if i do get time...). If I understand you correct, use the vbox~dkms in order to have virtualbox available while (not for) troubleshooting if needed, otherwise VirtualBox has nothing to do with the suspend/resume problem?

EDIT1: wasn't vbox problem, updated to test version so modules would load with test kernel at time 4.14.12 was in testing.

EDIT2: marking thread solved as suspend is working in 4.14.12 and don't have time or know how to bisect kernels at present

Last edited by WFV (2018-01-10 15:38:31)

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

Board footer