You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-08 03:08:34

scossu
Member
Registered: 2018-01-08
Posts: 20

Weston not loading with nouveau drivers

Hello,
I have a fresh Archlinux install on the following hardware:

- Dell Precision M3800 laptop
- Nvidia Quadro K1100M with dual chip (from `lspci`):
  - VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
  - 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107GLM [Quadro K1100M] (rev a1)

I would like to run a minimal Wayland setup (Weston + Sway; no Plasma or Gnome) on this hardware.

I installed the latest nouveau drivers and NOT the proprietary Nvidia drivers. I also installed `xorg-server`, `weston` and `sway`.

Xorg starts fine. If I try to run Weston in any way it will crash my graphic server.

Launching `weston` from wihin X it crashes X and throws me into the TTY with the following message:

nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]

Launching `weston-launch` from the TTY goes to a black-ish screen with no mouse pointer or anything and freezes. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or the TTY switching keys won't work. The only way out is pushing the power button and triggering an ACPI system shutdown.

Launching `weston-simple-shm` from within X gives me:

$ weston-simple-shm 
weston-simple-shm: clients/simple-shm.c:439: create_display: Assertion `display->display' failed.

(X won't crash this way)

I am seeing the following messages in my kernel log:

$ dmesg | grep nouveau
[   17.058762] nouveau: detected PR support, will not use DSM
[   17.058789] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
[   17.058964] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: NVIDIA GK107 (0e7360a2)
[   17.089747] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bios: version 80.07.b3.00.20
[   17.253519] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: fb: 2048 MiB GDDR5
[   17.253729] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[   17.324273] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: DRM: VRAM: 2048 MiB
[   17.324274] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: DRM: GART: 1048576 MiB
[   17.324276] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: DRM: Pointer to TMDS table invalid
[   17.324280] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: DRM: DCB version 4.0
[   17.567296] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: DRM: MM: using COPY for buffer copies
[   17.567308] [drm] Initialized nouveau 1.3.1 20120801 for 0000:02:00.0 on minor 0
[  100.910698] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[  250.284432] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[  698.112668] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[  728.245115] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[  825.496516] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[  937.486606] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[ 1054.144060] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[ 2221.168139] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[ 3505.622809] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[ 3520.879900] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]
[ 3533.053670] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 00000002 FAULT at 4188ac [ IBUS ]

I tried early loading (adding nouveau module to initcpio.conf) and non-early loading. I don't see a different behavior.

My user's weston config:

[core]
xwayland=true
modules=xwayland.so
#backend=fbdev-backend.so

[keyboard]
keymap_layout=us

[libinput]
enable_tap=true

[keyboard]
keymap_rules=evdev
numlock-on=true

[output]
name=eDP-1
mode=3840x2160
scale=2

[shell]
allow-zap=true

I played around with several settings, especially with resolution, scaling, back ends and xwayland. No noticeable difference.

Am I missing something? Does my Nvidia card just not work with Wayland,? Or is there a problem with Nouveau?

Any help is much appreciated.

Best,
s


EDIT: I wrote to soon. Launching Weston from X actually works. Also logging in with SDDM and selecting Weston or Sway as session works (there was an issue with the screen resolution I believe). What won't work is launching Weston as a standalone server.

Last edited by scossu (2018-01-08 03:25:20)

Offline

#2 2018-01-08 04:02:46

circleface
Member
Registered: 2012-05-26
Posts: 639

Re: Weston not loading with nouveau drivers

As far as I am aware, you cannot run Weston and Sway at the same time.  It wouldn't make much sense anyway, since they are both Wayland compositors.  Just choose one that you like better and stick to that one.  Also, Sway should work with nouveau, but not the proprietary nVidia drivers.  Not sure about Weston.

Offline

#3 2018-01-08 05:43:08

scossu
Member
Registered: 2018-01-08
Posts: 20

Re: Weston not loading with nouveau drivers

circleface wrote:

As far as I am aware, you cannot run Weston and Sway at the same time.  It wouldn't make much sense anyway, since they are both Wayland compositors.  Just choose one that you like better and stick to that one.  Also, Sway should work with nouveau, but not the proprietary nVidia drivers.  Not sure about Weston.

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I was uder the impression that Weston would be the base graphic server and Sway just took care of window/tile management. Maybe I spent too much time using X...

In any case, I found an entry in the  Sway Wiki on Github that solved my problem:

https://github.com/swaywm/sway/wiki/Swa … Arch-Linux

It may be a good thing to add to the Sway Archlinux wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sway

s

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB