You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-11 02:53:32

GTRONICK
Member
Registered: 2016-07-17
Posts: 41

pcmanfm slow start/open

Recently, pcmanfm started to "lag" on open. Some weeks before, when I launched it, it just openend almost instantly, but now, it takes near 1 second to open. I have tried pcmanfm-qt, and it opens like the original pcmanfm did before (less than 500 ms). I have launched pcmanfm from terminal, but no feedback is given, I have also uninstalled gvfs, and gvfs-mtp, but the lag persist. Once opened, the navigation speed is normal, and the dialog and options functionality is also at normal response time. I think it could be and updated package related to file system or volume management, but I'm not sure which package or update is causing the issue.
I have also noticed that, the backward and forward navigation buttons of my mouse, only work on pcmanfm-qt. 

I know that one second could not be and issue, but I miss the previous behavior.

I'm ussing a 256 GB SSD, 8GB RAM and an Intel Core i5 7th gen, with LXDE as Desktop Enviroment, and OpenBox, on an Asus UX430UA.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Offline

#2 2018-01-11 08:58:07

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,066

Re: pcmanfm slow start/open

gtk2 or gtk3 version?

Offline

#3 2018-01-11 10:54:34

GTRONICK
Member
Registered: 2016-07-17
Posts: 41

Re: pcmanfm slow start/open

This is the gtk2 version.

Offline

#4 2018-01-11 12:58:20

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,066

Re: pcmanfm slow start/open

strace pcmanfm

See what it does when it does nothing.

Offline

#5 2018-01-11 14:03:22

GTRONICK
Member
Registered: 2016-07-17
Posts: 41

Re: pcmanfm slow start/open

Thanks, I will look at it this night, I think we are on different time zones. (Mine is GTM - 5). Best regards.

Offline

#6 2018-01-12 01:13:59

GTRONICK
Member
Registered: 2016-07-17
Posts: 41

Re: pcmanfm slow start/open

Hello, I have ran the command you suggested, here is the pastebin: https://pastebin.com/WGieYSJZ. I have inspected the results, but the only part I think could be relevant is where there are many lines like this:

recvmsg(3, {msg_namelen=0}, 0)          = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

However, I'm not sure if this is "normal" or there are other problems in the results.

Last edited by GTRONICK (2018-01-12 01:15:00)

Offline

#7 2018-01-12 09:05:59

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,066

Re: pcmanfm slow start/open

That's "normal" (it's the X11 socket)
Did the output notably stall at some point?
Tried another gtk theme?

Offline

#8 2018-01-12 11:59:15

GTRONICK
Member
Registered: 2016-07-17
Posts: 41

Re: pcmanfm slow start/open

The output does not seems to stall at any point, only when the output finishes printing in console, but it is like 500 ms, is there some form to measure the real time of the process?
I have tried all the other themes I have installed but the behaviour is the same.

Using

time pcmanfm

Returns:

real	0m0.042s
user	0m0.025s
sys	0m0.015s

Yeah, it looks like "nothing", but It seems that the delay is caused when painting the components. As I understand, the process to open pcmanfm finishes correctly in 42ms, but showing the GUI takes, at least, 500ms.

I will keep testing to see what could be causing the problem.

Last edited by GTRONICK (2018-01-12 12:00:01)

Offline

#9 2018-01-12 12:07:01

GTRONICK
Member
Registered: 2016-07-17
Posts: 41

Re: pcmanfm slow start/open

Ok ok!, It seems that I have found the issue, I have changed the icon theme to Adawaita, and now, pcmanfm opens instantly as before! (Weird because is was normal with the Lubuntu theme), but I can get used to this theme, so, the real problem seems to be the Lubuntu Icon Theme. Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited by GTRONICK (2018-01-12 18:50:46)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB