You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-14 13:55:46

crem

[SOLVED] No sound in skypeforlinux-bin

Hello,

I need help debugging why my skypeforlinux cannot produce any sound from the call.

Symptoms:

1. When I start skype normally, there are UI sounds (ringing, etc), but no sound from the call itself.

In pre-Nov-2017 versions of package that could be worked around by switching the sound device in skype settings to another soundcard and then back, after the call is started (and all UI sounds finished), and that only worked when no other app produced sound at that time.
Starting from December 2017, that workaround doesn't help.

2. When I run:

$ pasuspender -- /share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux

it's vice versa: no UI sounds, but there is sound from the remote party during the call. Also no other app can produce sound while Skype is running this way (probably that's expected).

3. When I stop pulseaudio, skype produces no sound (and list of sound devices in skype settings is empty). That's expected, I guess, just wanted to make sure sound is output though pulseaudio.

I've tried suggestions from relevant wiki and forum sections, but nothing really helped. Could you please give me a hint from which side should I start debugging that?

Thanks.

Last edited by crem (2018-01-14 16:01:30)

#2 2018-01-14 15:11:39

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] No sound in skypeforlinux-bin

Install pulseaudio-alsa and retry and make sure that all outputs in skype are set to 'default' - this is important! never change the device in skype, use pavucontrol for correct control over the audio stream.

If that isn't enough, double check your pulseaudio configuration in pavucontrol or similar and make sure that the [alsa-plugin] skype stream is playing to the correct devices.

If that still isn't enough post

pacmd list-sinks
pacmd list-sink-inputs
aplay -L

while in the non working scenario.

Last edited by V1del (2018-01-14 15:20:31)

#3 2018-01-14 15:31:07

crem

V1del wrote:

make sure that all outputs in skype are set to 'default' - this is important! never change the device in skype

Indeed it did help!
Thanks a lot.

#4 2018-01-14 15:56:41

V1del
Forum Moderator

Glad to hear, please mark as [solved] by editing the title of your first post

Board footer