You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-15 04:27:48

fdmillion

What's the philosophy from removing example conf file from samba pkg?

Just setup a new Arch install in a VM for a new project. Upon installing Samba, I noticed that the package no longer includes the example smb.conf file.

Being in a hurry, I went to another server and pulled the smb.conf file and edited it to suit my needs. Later when I had some more time, I checked the wiki and found it instructs you to go get the sample config file from the Git repository.

Any particular reason why the example config file is no longer included? I always found it much easier to open the example conf file, change the options I need, remove the ones I don't and go from there.

This isn't a complaint, it's not that it causes any serious problems, just adds an extra step for me, so was just curious if there was a reason behind it. I know most other packages will still come with an example config file in the correct location under /etc (often named something like package.sample.conf or package.example.conf).

#2 2018-01-15 04:47:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: What's the philosophy from removing example conf file from samba pkg?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-01-15 23:30:29

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: What's the philosophy from removing example conf file from samba pkg?

fdmillion wrote:

I know most other packages will still come with an example config file in the correct location under /etc (often named something like package.sample.conf or package.example.conf).

Anyway, I often prefer when packages install the sample config in /usr/share/doc/ wink

Last edited by eschwartz (2018-01-15 23:31:22)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer